• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Unique Perceptions of Language

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tend to see myself as more of a “language” person in that I’ve tended to do better with reading and writing rather than math or hard sciences, but have weirdly always been a terrible auditory learner and have a lot of difficulty remembering verbal information if it isn’t written down or tied to some visual. I think that this tendency to identify as more of a “language” rather than a “number” person stems from a general tendency in the US (and maybe elsewhere, I just can’t speak to it) to draw hard lines between disciplines that favor one over the other, when really most of what we do is language based or at least mediated by language in some way. You still need a good grasp of language to do well in either math or science because of how it’s taught, and even pure calculation can heavily involve language if you use self-talk, either out loud or internally, to guide your problem solving (but this could also be tied to whether you have a verbal internal monologue). I guess whenever I think of language I’m always drawing distinctions between things that are verbal vs. nonverbal, which overlooks how pervasive language actually is. This is probably also related to my job because intelligence tests and the specific skills they measure are often categorized along these lines, and I find myself describing students as either more verbal or nonverbal (visual) learners if there are large discrepancies between these areas.

Writing has also been one of the only ways I’ve been able to fully connect with my thoughts and understand myself better. I often don’t know what I’m thinking (or feeling) about something until I write it out, and until then a lot of it’s just a disorganized jumble of vague impressions and words. It ties into why I tend to have trouble speaking about in-depth topics in the moment and end up just staying quiet, because while I know the thoughts are there and I’m not completely ignorant of the topic, it’s like writing is the thing that structures and organizes my thinking. I feel a strong connection to writing and written language in general and wish I had discovered it earlier in my life as a way of expressing myself. And even though I genuinely like doing it, writing can be an arduous process for me because of how hard it is to get going initially, but it usually ends up being worth it in the end.

This topic is so broad that it’s really hard to capture everything in one forum post, but these are other language-related topics that I think are interesting:

1) Whether animals have language and differences between communication and language

2) Language experiences and thought processes in deaf individuals (specifically individuals who were born deaf and might have received cochlear implants later in life—how would growing up without hearing spoken language impact your thinking and inner monologue? How would speech development progress after receiving an implant later in life?)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
My first attempt to write arabic, one of known language that traditionally can be written in this artistic form, calligraphically. Just to share some background of Arabic of mine. I don't speak Arabic in everyday life. But since I have trained to read hijaiya, the name of arabic alphabet since when I was a kid, I am able to recite, without trying to reach comprehension solely in Arabic , the Koran, I am familiar with it. I only copied an unknown designer's.The design that I attempted to copy is also attached.

I am looking to enhance it in another work particularly in size( currently A8), and probably tidier (now you can see the correction ink), and the thickness of each letter. I am not satisfied with the result myself.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Another follow up post. I have copied the hieroglyph by rewriting it on a piece of paper just as what I did in 1995. I used a pencil back then, but this time I use pen. However, I am not sure whether the hieroglyphic character remains the same.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Another follow up post. I have copied the hieroglyph by rewriting it on a piece of paper just as what I did in 1994 or 1995. I used a pencil back then, but this time I use pen. However, I am not sure the hieroglyphic character remains the same.

I can't see either the hieroglyphs or your Arabic.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Another unique perception of language
Since Calligraphy can be classified as an art, Language that has calligraphy tradition like Chinese mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Language with Cyrillic letter, Armenian, Mongolia, Thai, Vietamese, Hindi, Georgian, etc are artistic languages. If you are confident that you are Keirseyan SP (The artist) :ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP, and you want to study a foreign language, you should find language that has calligraphy tradition. But, Since INTJ, ENTJ, ENFJ, and INFJ if balanced can also be artistic , the languages are also recommended for them to study.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Hopefully we won't encounter technical problem with this one.
hyeroglyph rewriting
mesopotamian rewriting
arabic calligraphy rewriting

I view English as an intermediary language to learn other foreign language.
I am going to study Russian and an educational institution that I am applying to requires a minimum English level to get admitted as student as they teach the class in English. We need a language that both teacher and student understand to teach other language. That language in this case is English. That happens also in school. I remember where I studied English initially and formally. They taught Class in Indonesian language, a language deemed understood by both of student and teacher. Studying English in English is known only for intermediate or advanced student here. At beginner level, class is usually held bilingually.