User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Mastermind Fieldmarshal Sacrophagus's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNTJ
    Enneagram

Intuitively applied it before it was cool.

When you grow up reigned by INTJness, perceived in your childhood as the silent and cute child who's sitting in poise in a room full of adults talking about vacuous trivia, while you're actually reading the atmosphere, weighing everyone according to an inner referendum of values, or trying to understand why your mother is upset even though she has put an act to hide the sorrow, pursueing the why behind the what and the how of human behavior, driven by compassion and curiosity, you come up with a psychoanalytic bestiary of your own.
    Likes Dreamer, Abcdenfp liked this post

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    974 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I've been an observant person long before personality typing has been on my radar. I was also highly aware of my inner emotionality and how the outside world blend and speak to one another. I slowly developed a more intellectual curiosity towards these observations I had, attaching what I knew on an intuitive level (not referring to N/S here but just that I didn't have a label or system in place yet for what I knew) to a more structured approach to my outside world. This also gave me the benefit to then translate what I saw and felt to words or ways of expressing this inner world, outwardly.

Eventually, I came across the MBTI and other systems of personality type. Learning of these systems was quite a fluid process for me as much of what I was learning, was already very well known to me, on a more subconscious level of understanding. I was attaching these labels such as Fi, Ne, ENFP, to areas of my knowing, and it was almost literally 1:1. I didn't have to contort definitions all that much, to fit my own system, and conversely, I didn't have to contort my understanding to these foreign definitions. I was lucky in this regard.

Getting to the OP now with this context I have provided, yes, I find myself using MBTI every waking hour of the day, that's one way to look at it, or, is it that I've always been observant to human behavior/emotionality internally and externally for as long as I can remember, and the fact that I have been able to easily attach labels to this is just coincidence.

It's an interesting thought.
    Likes Abcdenfp liked this post

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

This is exactly what I mean when I say I am neurotic about typing. I think it is really unhealthy to look at everything through the lens of typology, yet that is exactly what I do. Taking breaks here and there helps me with that.

Parody Parrot
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

All the time, like the OP. But I always keep in mind my own subjectivity and that of the MBTI itself. I'm an e6 : I never take anything for granted
    +
    I've often had to review my first impression of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    This is exactly what I mean when I say I am neurotic about typing. I think it is really unhealthy to look at everything through the lens of typology, yet that is exactly what I do. Taking breaks here and there helps me with that.
    For NFs for instance it's actually pretty natural to look at everything through the lens of typology. But we also are prone to neuroticism, yeah. I think it somehow goes hand in hand. a thin red line sort of thing.
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I tend to evaluate people along the lines of "this new person kinda vibes like [this other guy I know]." Everyone is unique and multifaceted and act differently in different situations, of course, so [caveats here].

Typology can give some vocabulary to stuff that is difficult to put into words, some different perspectives that might contribute to a larger understanding, and some rough heuristics. If I somehow need to dig deeper it might help loosely and roughly.
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

Clean Slate

Only when I'm interested in knowing about a person, otherwise they're all XXXX people for me. I mostly use it as a tool to understand myself when it comes to issues that I know are applicable (parts of my personality that I believe MBTI got 100% right).

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6 sp

Fairly often but not all the time. Its more a subconcious thing- that if I were to sit down and think about it- I could probably type most people that I know. But like in the middle of a conversation though- im not actively typing people generally.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    I recently became reaware that I view life through a lens of typology. As in, in most conversations (especially verbal ones) I pick apart what is being said to see what functions could be behind them. Or I make mental note of possible enneagram fixes for people. When I was less healthy, a few years ago freshman year, I would keep a notebook to record behavior habits of my friends, going as far as making charts and constantly making them retake personality tests.

Many people use typology as a self improvement tool. Curious on how it plays a role in life though.
    I am an INTJ. MBTI is one of the best things that I have ever learned; it plays a MAJOR role in my life.
    I have been an MBTI enthusiast since around 1992; I mostly use the books by the Barron-Tiegers and Naomi Quenck.

I used MBTI to be able to tell which parts of me were "normal".
    I used it to understand my children and husband better.
    I use it to get along with people.

I never jump to conclusions about a person's type, and I don't use the cognitive functions to understand them either.
    The type dimension I think about mostly is whether a person is mostly P or J and this helps me communicate with them better and also helps me know what to expect from them in the way of communication.

For instance: my father is an ESTP. If I invite him to a picnic which is a week away, he feels uncomfortable deciding to come, so far in advance, but if I call him the day before, I know that makes him happy. And because I know it's his Type that makes him that way, I don't get hurt or offended or think it means that he doesn't love me because he won't decide ahead of time to accept my invitation.

Now my mother and daughter are ISxJs. They like to have things decided in advance, so I try to give them lots of advance notice and try never to spring things on them at the last minute.

My INFP sister was always changing our dinner plans at the last minute. It drove me insane because I had spent a week thinking about the meal I was going to have only to have her change the restaurant at the last minute! So now, I never tell her where we are going ahead of time. I tell her it's a surprise. She loves surprises, so it works for us.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    ??? sp/so

only if I'm bored & like "hmmm I wonder if so-and-so is an ISFJ or an ISTJ". I don't think I've ever applied it like super seriously though to where I was like "they're an ESTP and they're an ENFJ so their relationship won't worth for these reasons/will work for these reasons"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I am an INTJ. MBTI is one of the best things that I have ever learned; it plays a MAJOR role in my life. I have been an MBTI enthusiast since around 1992; I mostly use the books by the Barron-Tiegers and Naomi Quenck. I used MBTI to be able to tell which parts of me were "normal". I used it to understand my children and husband better. I use it to get along with people. I never jump to conclusions about a person's type, and I don't use the cognitive functions to understand them either. The type dimension I think about mostly is whether a person is mostly P or J and this helps me communicate with them better and also helps me know what to expect from them in the way of communication. For instance: my father is an ESTP. If I invite him to a picnic which is a week away, he feels uncomfortable deciding to come, so far in advance, but if I call him the day before, I know that makes him happy. And because I know it's his Type that makes him that way, I don't get hurt or offended or think it means that he doesn't love me because he won't decide ahead of time to accept my invitation. Now my mother and daughter are ISxJs. They like to have things decided in advance, so I try to give them lots of advance notice and try never to spring things on them at the last minute. My INFP sister was always changing our dinner plans at the last minute. It drove me insane because I had spent a week thinking about the meal I was going to have only to have her change the restaurant at the last minute! So now, I never tell her where we are going ahead of time. I tell her it's a surprise. She loves surprises, so it works for us.
    The type dimension I think about mostly is whether a person is mostly P or J and this helps me communicate with them better and also helps me know what to expect from them in the way of communication. For instance: my father is an ESTP. If I invite him to a picnic which is a week away, he feels uncomfortable deciding to come, so far in advance, but if I call him the day before, I know that makes him happy.
    I totally understand this and use it in this manner as well, it has changed the way that I communicate with several close friends, and has also made me conscious of how my tendency to change plans so quickly effects them. so I now know if I make a plan with them, unless it's an emergency, it's set in stone, because I respect the way they view the plan now.
    I think MBTI can be used as a tool for self reflection but also for learning how some people prefer to be communicated with and receive information, so that they actually process in a way that they can understand.
    Likes INTJMom liked this post