• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it worse for women?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually Indiana has the best looking men I've seen so far. Cornfed. :D

Well, all I can say is: Open your eyes to male beauty!

when my head's not up my @ss, my tongue is in my cheek
my eyes are always open.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
My heart and eyes are closed, but I am intrested to hear your ideas xD

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My heart and eyes are closed, but I am intrested to hear your ideas xD

only 'cos i blew smoke up your ass. men are tooooo easy.
what's that weird xD thang. that's kinda creepy...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
cross laughing eyes with a big mouth xD, dont you watch cartoons ?

Hold it for a minute there. I will walk to the gas station and get me some more booze.

Be right back

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
"Worthy of love" can only possibly be defined by being loved. I really don't understand all this argee bargee. :p

What about people that are forever attracted to and in love with those who are bad for them, types that hurt them on some level. They love that person out of a place of messed-up-ness, not because the other person is worthy of their love or lovable.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
What about people that are forever attracted to and in love with those who are bad for them, types that hurt them on some level. They love that person out of a place of messed-up-ness, not because the other person is worthy of their love or lovable.
I know this situation all to well. The only sensible conclusion is: Nothing such as worthiness of adoration is valid; The joy of adoration, however, is.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I know this situation all to well. The only sensible conclusion is: Nothing such as worthiness of adoration is valid; The joy of adoration, however, is.

So you can carry on, though someone isn't worthy? Wow. I make work of making the adoration go away as soon as I have realized someone isn't worthy.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Are you saying the only way to know for sure that one is worthy of love is to be loved by another?

I was trying to ask if your self-doubt comes from unconscious (as passive as it can get) man-hunting. See:

Sigh. Well, I cannot tell if that is it... but I know lots of times I'm very happy with myself -- until I get around someone else who I think is prettier, or has a nicer voice, or seems just "better" (i.e., more desirable/attractive overall) than me.

Then I feel like crap and have to consciously buck up and tell myself I'm fine as I am and fight the bad feelings. (i.e., I stop comparing to everyone else and just compare to myself... am I the best that *I* can be?)

I still don't know if it's about men.
It's simply that my self-image takes a hit because I'm not as desirable as I realize someone might be. But like I said, that standard is highly unrealistic. It's like I have to "woo and win" myself over, not someone else per se.

The first part you say you don't like yourself when you compare to other women. Now, this is the unconscious part. Then you say you consciously need to fight it. Then you doubt if it is about men. My question: What else could it be? Why do you need to be desirable if it isn't about men?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think I try to 'look good' for other women. I don't really care what other women think of me. I want to 'look good' for men.

I always hear guys talking about 'hot girls', and contrasting them to 'but-her-faces', and I have a hard time really believing that guys don't care that much about a woman's looks (at least in this thread, the guys' responses have been such that a girls appearance isn't that important, and the woman just needs to get more self esteem rather than focus on her appearance. But that's kinda a lie in my opinion. Attraction IS important, and men want to be with attractive women).

I think the reason you get the looks-don't-matter-too-much responses around here is because we are mostly N-males. I am sure if you could collect and test all the men who think the looks are the main thing, most of them are S.

Sure, looks are a big thing, but to me it seems like many good looking women doubt themselves.

Random comment -- say you have a woman in her 20's or 30's with thinning hair, and by her late 30's she very well may need a wig. What say you, men? Is that something a woman can easily slough off and still find tons of suitors who really want her? Obviously looks aren't ultimately important when it comes to a friendship, but I think it's bull that it's crocked up to a simple esteem issue when the reality seems to point towards attraction/desirability being a key factor in the initial pairing and romance. Obviously longevity is going to need a lot more than that though.

This is somewhat different case, since losing hair is telling the male that she isn't healthy. It is automatic response of animals not to mate with sick individuals and the loss of hair is often sign of sickness. If we talk about slightly overweight girls or imperfect faces, there is no biological reason to turn them down.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the reason you get the looks-don't-matter-too-much responses around here is because we are mostly N-males. I am sure if you could collect and test all the men who think the looks are the main thing, most of them are S.

Maybe.
Somewhat.
There's enough randy/carnal N guys around here, though.
Once the drive kicks in, both S's and N's can be pretty carnal.

Sure, looks are a big thing, but to me it seems like many good looking women doubt themselves.

That is one thing I am amazed over... how everyone is insecure on some level. Women always seem to be insecure about their looks. I know no matter how many compliments I get, I regularly feel like I'm deficient that way and want to look even better. (Then I say "screw this" and focus on something else.)

This is somewhat different case, since losing hair is telling the male that she isn't healthy. It is automatic response of animals not to mate with sick individuals and the loss of hair is often sign of sickness. If we talk about slightly overweight girls or imperfect faces, there is no biological reason to turn them down.

Possibly. It depends on how you define "slightly overweight" and "slightly imperfect/asymmetrical."

Because we're not talking about "slightly thinning," we're talking "substantial hairloss"... so your analogy should properly refer to "substantially overweight" or "substantially asymmetrical" to remain valid. And all three are signs of reproductive unacceptability.

I also think that an attractive bald woman is someone guys actually find hot... her baldness has nothing to do with her attractiveness. There are just few women who can pull it off because of their insecurity over hair loss, and that throws off their inner grace.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
example please?

Geek alert.

Ilya.jpg

But note how perfectly shaped her head is.

Women with less-perfect heads are helped appearance-wise by hair.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Geek alert.
But note how perfectly shaped her head is.

you may have a point
but she'd be much more attractive (and indeed, less threatening)
if she wasn't an egg-head

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you may have a point
but she'd be much more attractive (and indeed, less threatening)
if she wasn't an egg-head

So do you think hair "softens" women and makes them look more nurturing and less threatening?

I guess I have to make a confession: I prefer having hair. ;)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Possibly. It depends on how you define "slightly overweight" and "slightly imperfect/asymmetrical."

Because we're not talking about "slightly thinning," we're talking "substantial hairloss"... so your analogy should properly refer to "substantially overweight" or "substantially asymmetrical" to remain valid. And all three are signs of reproductive unacceptability.

Hmm... Maybe... I guess we really should be talking about the "norm" for beauty set by the extremely beautiful.

I also think that an attractive bald woman is someone guys actually find hot... her baldness has nothing to do with her attractiveness. There are just few women who can pull it off because of their insecurity over hair loss, and that throws off their inner grace.

Yes, completely bold women are hot. But they needs very feminine face and they can't have "square-shaped" head. So, it doesn't work for most. With hair they would be hot anyways...

Mole

Permabanned
An Abject Object

Sure, women are attracted to resources and men are attracted to fertility - otherwise we would not be here.

But we know this, so it is recursive.

And not only do we know it, we can share it with each other. So it is recursive in our own minds and between one another.

And even thinking this makes us vulnerable, and sharing this makes us unbearably vulnerable. So we prefer to retreat to treating ourselves and each other as objects.

We are so abject we treat each other as objects.

But this makes us feel comfortable because it removes us from our vulnerability.

But vulnerability is the very basis of creativity; vulnerability is the ground of love; and vulnerability is deeply and profoundly enlivening.

But we prefer to be abject objects rather than enlived and enlivening.

But most of all, we hide this choice from ourselves.

And why not?

Who could possibly admit to being an abject object for comfort's sake?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So do you think hair "softens" women and makes them look more nurturing and less threatening?

I guess I have to make a confession: I prefer having hair. ;)

egg-head=intellectual
'twas a subtle allusion to a previous post
too subtle, apparently ;)

PS. i shaved all my hair off a few years ago.
it was very liberating, especially from work....