• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dominant Introverted intuition comes across as weird for most people

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Hi all,

I'm under the impression that whenever I am 100% using my introverted intuition this comes across as strange/weird/alien to other people.
Especially to people that don't know me that well yet.

Like when I'm talking about movies with someone and I'm trying to make a syntheses of my thoughts (pratically Ni by definition) I know I tend to stare into empty space. As natural as this feels to me personally, it really seems to catch the attention of whomever I'm speaking with. Like they are not used to that. And look at me with certain curiosity. Maybe this just goes or shows with dominant Ni users (INxJs) who are pretty rare anyway.

Does this sound familiar ? Or am I reading things in people that aren't there ?

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, it does sound familiar. I experience that a lot. Putting Ni thoughts into words is the hardest task I've ever found, it is really tough. I'm not sure it is entirely because of Ni, perhaps INTJs have it more easy for them because of their Te, but I've seen INFJs complaining about it a lot. So yeah, you are not alone.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=33955]Eyez Fighter[/MENTION] : Yeah, I think this is probably only confusing us INFJs because or Fe picks up the response of others more easily than INTJs. My INTJ dad for instance is oblivious to what other people think of him.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=33955]Eyez Fighter[/MENTION] : Yeah, I think this is probably only confusing us INFJs because or Fe picks up the response of others more easily than INTJs. My INTJ dad for instance is oblivious to what other people think of him.

Yes, I don't care about what people think of me but, most of the time, I know what they think of me.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Yes, I don't care about what people think of me but, most of the time, I know what they think of me.

I know what people think of me and unfortunately I also care what people think of me.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[SUP][SUP][SUP][/SUP][/SUP][/SUP]
I know what people think of me and unfortunately I also care what people think of me.

Well, that's unfortunate. And you also happen to be a 6, which must makes things even worse.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Like when I'm talking about movies with someone and I'm trying to make a syntheses of my thoughts (pratically Ni by definition) I know I tend to stare into empty space.

Everybody in my life who knows me well still makes fun of me for this. They think I look too serious when I get into that mode of thinking, and then I come back with a confused look on my face because I thought I wasn't in that mode in the first place.. I can't describe it but I do understand the mild embarrassment that comes with such moments in life.

á´…eparted

passages
I'm friends and have been friends with lots of INFJ's throughout my life. I wouldn't say them purely using Ni makes them come across as weird or alien.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I can often stare off, though, it's not in one defined point. I tend to look around, almost everywhere EXCEPT the person I'm talking to haha. But what I'm doing is seeing what's essentially in front of me, my thoughts and ideas, projected onto my environment as if they were tangible, spatial elements. It's all fairly easy for me to explain when I look off, since I "see" it in front of me, and all I'm really doing is describing what I see to the other person. Once I extrovert my ideas, it's really easy for me to then understand and manipulate them further. It's when they're trapped in my head is when they seem not to make much sense all the time.

I might have Ni moments, but I wouldn't know, because I'm too impatient to wait around for words to come, or for thoughts to take form. If I can't describe something in the moment, I'll hold off on talking about it until the words come. They always do, eventually.

I've been told I look pissed off when I look around my surroundings at my ideas, but it's really more of a pensive look in my opinion.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, it does sound familiar. I experience that a lot. Putting Ni thoughts into words is the hardest task I've ever found, it is really tough. I'm not sure it is entirely because of Ni, perhaps INTJs have it more easy for them because of their Te, but I've seen INFJs complaining about it a lot. So yeah, you are not alone.
Not being INFJ, I cannot say whether it is easier for us or not. I do recall when I was a kid having a very hard time putting these notions into words, and getting better at it over a period of years, mostly from age 10-13 or so. Discussions with a good family friend were a great help. I think this growth process is what is meant by "developing Te". It was an amazing process, and helped form the basis for much of who I am today and what I have done in my life. This is because being able to explain one's thoughts is so important. I can't say that Te is easier to use and employ this way than Fe, though, only that it is easier for me, but then Fe is near the bottom of my function preferences, so I wouldn't expect to be good at it.

So, to the extent that I employ Te-based filtering to structure and present my ideas to others, something I have long been quite good at, they think simply that I have done my homework and know what I am talking about. If I don't have time for that, or just cut to the chase and share Ni ideas in raw format, sure - folks often think it is weird.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I think introverted intuition is weird . The thing is the Ni is my 6th function. It's doesn't feel very intuitive to use. When I see INTJs use Ni on their post, it appears so strange to me.There was a really good article written by an INTJ user that shows the writing styles between INTP and INTJ. The writing styles of INTJ looks so strange to me. Introverted Intuition users are are in real life like ENFJ and INTJ. It's quite rare for me to run into an Ni user though I did have an INTJ classmate last semester. I always felt so different from INTJ despite belonging to the same NT club. The only thing that I felt like INTP can connect with INTJ is that may be apart of the same clubs and have similar interests.

INTP and INTJ writing styles

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think introverted intuition is weird . The thing is the Ni is my 6th function. It's doesn't feel very intuitive to use. When I see INTJs use Ni on their post, it appears so strange to me.There was a really good article written by an INTJ user that shows the writing styles between INTP and INTJ. The writing styles of INTJ looks so strange to me. Introverted Intuition users are are in real life like ENFJ and INTJ. It's quite rare for me to run into an Ni user though I did have an INTJ classmate last semester. I always felt so different from INTJ despite belonging to the same NT club. The only thing that I felt like INTP can connect with INTJ is that may be apart of the same clubs and have similar interests.

You mention INTJs, what about INFJs? What do you perceive in their writing/communicating style?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
You mention INTJs, what about INFJs? What do you perceive in their writing/communicating style?

The thing about INFJ is that can come across as INTP sometimes because INFJ use Ti-Ne. I have seen it before in their posts whereas an INFJ sounds like INTP just for a brief moment. I can see Ti within some of the posts that INFJ type. INFJ posts are easier to understand than INTJ.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The thing about INFJ is that can come across as INTP sometimes because INFJ use Ti-Ne. I have seen it before in their posts whereas an INFJ sounds like INTP just for a brief moment. I can see Ti within some of the posts that INFJ type. INFJ posts are easier to understand than INTJ.

Indeed, makes sense. I am a heavy Ti user (still, my Ni is much stronger) so perhaps for you, INTPs, I may come across as easy to construe.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I cannot speak for INTPs, but can say that the INTJ description here fits my writing style, and also many of my motivations for writing as I do.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Idk about weird, it's more as much as alluring or intimidating for me.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can remember one of my college professors actually telling me that I would ramble on tangents that lack coherency. I asked another professor, to see if it was generally the case, and he said that wasn't his experience of me at all.

In general though, I do often feel like what I'm trying to say goes in one ear and out the other with most people. It's frustrating at times.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Idk about weird, it's more as much as alluring or intimidating for me.
Why would it seem intimidating? Seems it would be more confusing than anything else, for someone not used to thinking that way.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJs can sometimes come across as ad hoc machines. I don't mean that as an insult. It's more evident with the unhealthy or immature ones but not so much in those with a healthy and well developed auxiliary and tertiary.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
INFJs handle it a lot better than INTJs, IMO. They treat Ni with the sort of mysticism it deserves, and maybe attempt to throw a few words out to roughly communicate an incommunicable point by framing it or tracing out. It's paired better with aux Fe because feelings are similarly amorphous, the end result being that INFJs come across as wise sages of sorts.

INTJs expressing that Ni through Te, on the other hand, tend to just sound either batshit crazy or completely retarded- because they're trying to take a mystical amorphous thing and force it into a useful tool somehow.

Me: "I love the sound of rain in the morning when it hits the highest leaves on the highest branches in the woods."

INFJ: "It is magical- like stars colliding with our eyes in tiny bursts of color for the soul."
INTJ: "Don't talk about John like that- besides, he can row a boat better than you any day."

:shock: