• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

PMS is a culture-bound syndrome so why do so many intelligent women experience it?

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
There's some fairly hard data on this, my mom has never gotten PMS or any of the women in her family, woman in China don't get it, the science doesn't back it so why do you think so many intelligent women report experiencing it. In fact, 85% of American women claim to get it and I'm sure plenty will jump in saying they for sure do but the data doesn't support the claim.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Referencing your mom's experience is not hard data. Can you provide links to research to support your claims?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's some fairly hard data on this, my mom has never gotten PMS or any of the women in her family, woman in China don't get it, the science doesn't back it so why do you think so many intelligent women report experiencing it. In fact, 85% of American women claim to get it and I'm sure plenty will jump in saying they for sure do but the data doesn't support the claim.

Provide the hard data you keep referencing.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Chinese province grants women two days 'period leave' a month | The Independent

Women employed in the province of Ningxia in north China will soon be able to take up to two days’ leave a month if they are prevented from working by period pain.

The local government said the “period leave” policy would improve conditions for women in the workforce.

Employers will be punished if they do not comply with the new guidelines, which also include measures to protect female workers who become pregnant or have recently given birth, reported the South China Morning Post.

I guess not all are equal?

HisKittyKat

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
4w5
Holy fuck I'm laughing. So are you saying Unintelligent women don't get it ? You may want to think before you speak bc reading this is like reading a cartoon strip from a unpopular newspaper. 85% of American women, rofl. You have no data to support your claims, you have data to support your percentages, basically what I'm saying is you pulled this rabbit from your hat and ran with it:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::nono::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wtf::thumbdown:ocare.:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:...next you'll be posting it's type related. Hahaha, I can't deal with dumb asses :D:D:D:D...waky waky come back to reality ! :D:doh:

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You are a joke. "my mom[...]" who cares about your mom?! Also, when stating some facts, please link the sources where it came from.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm certain he is referring to attributing negative moods to the menstrual cycle. Not negative moods caused by pain. Not negative moods from heavy blood loss or lack of energy or just the fucking mess of the whole business.

"The idea that any emotionality in women can be firstly attributed to their reproductive function -- we're skeptical about that," Dr. Sarah Romans told me, skeptical said with audible restraint.

She and eight other researchers at the medical school at the University of Toronto published a review last week in the journal Gender Medicine that looked at all of the clinical research they could find to date on PMS with prospective data. Their conclusion was that the articles, in aggregate, "failed to provide clear evidence in support of the existence of a specific premenstrual negative mood syndrome."

Romans isn't saying that the mood symptoms we attribute to PMS aren't real and common. But she is saying that those symptoms are culturally over-attributed to the menstrual cycle, to the detriment of the medical community and those experiencing them -- and as a broader issue of gender equality.

PMS and the Wandering Womb - The Atlantic

Why in the fucking fuck do we keep having to explain and deal with this topic again and again? And for the OP and men like him - don't get involved with women. Ever. It's for your own good.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Maybe because while are dealing with cramps, bloating, headaches, general fatigue ( migraines and vomitting for some) the concern of ruining our clothing and the insane price of feminine products we get the added bonus of listening to some know-nothing assholes tellus it isn't real.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Culture bound syndrome"? You're full of it, haha

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah I hate when men say women aren't fit to be leaders because of pms.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I mean, I don't know obviously you've never had a period but I mean.
it is pretty damn awful.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Yep. I'm lying here on the couch watching LP's because my back hurts pretty damned bad from it. Doesn't usually effect me much hut this sucks pretty hard.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I read the title as culture blood i was like hmm yeah the blood of feminism muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

but no seriously don't tell a woman pms isn't real some women don't get pms some do but until you grow a vagina and uterus and all the reproductive parts of a female and get to experience a period STFU

for me my depression spikes and half the time i don't attribute it to my period until i start bleeding then i'm like oh right then i go back to normal for me. and my meds don't work aswell but i was told that's common. I get really bad cramps the first day after that I'm fine so people have it worse than me but if i don't know i'm about to period how can i be faking pms? how? I ask you how the fuck?

p.s. my period ended a week ago so i know this isn't pms the op just knows nothing.

Kas

Fabula rasa
It may be culture-related in a way that symptoms are aggravated by lifestyle factors.

rav3n

It may be culture-related in a way that symptoms are aggravated by lifestyle factors.
Exactly, especially considering how menstrual cramps evidence higher levels of prostaglandins. The question should be why. It might also have genetic roots where environment triggers gene expression.

Coincidentally I'm racially Chinese (culturally westernised), don't suffer from PMS and get cramps maybe once a decade.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Exactly, especially considering how menstrual cramps evidence higher levels of prostaglandins. The question should be why. It might also have genetic roots where environment triggers gene expression.
It isn't weird that changes in levels of hormones cause symptoms, but interesting how various symptoms they cause and that only in some individuals. Perhaps there are some genetic factors as well as you say. Besides these factors can influence levels of hormones themselves, e.g. stress can influence them and that's why during stressful times cycles can have different length, be not regular.

Spoiler for those who are not interested in my PMS history:D

Coincidentally I'm racially Chinese (culturally westernised), don't suffer from PMS and get cramps maybe once a decade.
Haha, indeed it's getting interesting

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It has to do with hormonal fluctuations. Hormones can definitely affect your emotions.
PMS includes physical symptoms too, which are also caused by hormones and the uterine contractions.
There is plenty of data out there supporting that.
No, not all women experience it. There is some connection between having higher estrogen levels and wider pelvic bones.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm Italian/English and never had it affect me greatly, either. It's not pleasant but nothing that is worth openly complaining about. I do know some women who were bed-ridden in high school each month and many women are mis/un-diagnosed endometriosis or have cysts.

A lot of that gets attributed to PMS when it isn't about PMS at all.