• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The more expensive the ring, the shorter the marriage

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Study: The more expensive the ring, the shorter the marriage

MACON, Ga. (WLUK) -- Emory University professors recently surveyed 3,000 people who have been married and found that the more a couple spends on a wedding ring, the shorter the marriage.

The study found that men who spend $2,000 to $4,000 on a ring are 1.3 times more likely to get divorced compared to men who buy rings worth $500 to $2,000.

Ryan Iyer at Forever Diamonds in Macon said that despite the study, he's seen plenty of men still married to the women they spent a lot of money on.

"Seventeen years back when we started the store and had the customers buy and purchase the big rings, pricey rings, and now we've seen their kids purchase big rings," Iyer said. "It means they're still together and they're doing something right."

In the past, men used to spend about three months salary on an engagement ring, but that isn't necessarily the case anymore.

Michael and Chelsea Nelson have been married three months and decided not to get ring in order to spend money on other things, like a home.

"We didn't feel we had to get rings to signify our commitment to each other," Chelsea Nelson said. "Our love is our bond, not just a piece of medal."

Iyer said many couples upgrade rings over time.

"There are customers who come in every other year and keep upgrading to a point now that they have a ring that is $5,000 that they've upgraded over 10 to 12 years," Iyer said.

As for the Nelsons, getting a ring isn't at the top of the To Do list.

"Maybe one day," Nelson said. "It's not really a pressing issue."

According to the study, if you spend more than $20,000 on a ring, you're 3.5 times more likely to get a divorce compared to couples who spend $5,000 to $10,000.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't necessarily disagree with this study. But I have more than one ring, none of them were more than 5k. But our wedding was probably less than 5k also, I think that plays an even bigger role.

rav3n

This would be the actual conclusion extracted from the paper. I'd link it but closed the tab prior.

4. Conclusion

The wedding industry has consistently sought to link wedding spending with long-lasting
marriages. This paper is the first to examine this relationship statistically. We find that marriage
duration is either not associated or inversely associated with spending on the engagement ring
and wedding ceremony. Overall, our findings provide little evidence to support the validity of the
wedding industry’s general message that connects expensive weddings with positive marital
outcomes. In future research, it may be useful to construct a population-representative
longitudinal sample of dating couples, following them through the multiple stages of their
relationship and gathering prospective information on wedding expenses and marital quality.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This would be the actual conclusion extracted from the paper. I'd link it but closed the tab prior.

I prefer the conclusion that's in the OP better. It annoys me when women with expensive rings think they've got something on me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I prefer the conclusion that's in the OP better. It annoys me when women with expensive rings think they've got something on me.

they don't unless the put a ring on you then you have to marry or dramatically throw it in their face and storm out crying on how it'll never work out and they don't understand you.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I never saw it like that. I see it like they are trying to convince themselves of something.

rav3n

No opinion about it in any way beyond the acknowledgement that financial stress is one of the top, if not the top reason for divorces.

I don't envy other people.

Littleclaypot

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
this could possibly be true..
I don't understand buying expensive rings and spending thousands of dollars on a wedding. Going to the court house and spending that money on an epic trip sounds better. :-D

rav3n

The part that bothers me about the study would be the concrete dollar ranges they used, instead of expressing the amount spent as a percentage of annual income.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The part that bothers me about the study would be the concrete dollar ranges they used, instead of expressing the amount spent as a percentage of annual income.

Good point! Since finances are what? The #1 cause of divorce, price alone wouldn't show much but amount spent compared to income could show a pattern of financial irresponsibility.

rav3n

Good point! Since finances are what? The #1 cause of divorce, price alone wouldn't show much but amount spent compared to income could show a pattern of financial irresponsibility.
Yup! The other aspect is how deeply in debt they begin the marriage because of the cost of ring and wedding, even if they become fiscally responsible once married. Paying off $40 - 60K can erode on any marriage.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yup! The other aspect is how deeply in debt they begin the marriage because of the cost of ring and wedding, even if they become fiscally responsible once married. Paying off $40 - 60K can erode on any marriage.

I think this is an often overlooked point. To me, it would be important enough to postpone a wedding until some of that debt was brought under control but that's probably crazy talk to some people.

Mole

Permabanned
We have diamond mines and know that diamonds are cheap, but we perpetuate a romantic fraud that diamonds show our love, and the more expensive the diamond, the more love.

Don't believe me? Go sell your romantic diamond ring on the open market and you will find it sells well below the cost price.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it working now? I have to edit the post and reattach it to work. If it works.

Now I see it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see that.

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What kind of ring are we talking about here?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm wearing a cheap Walmart ring so looks like she's stuck with me until death