• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are strong "Thinkers" prone to being a risk to themselves?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Do you think so? Emotionally and mentally speaking, that is.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
In general, I don't think so. But STJs seem rather defenseless against strong emotions. They can do serious damage in short order.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Only when they tell me "You should. . ."

This is interesting. I'll think on it. INTP son, ISTJ husband.

On one site I read that ISTJs are prone to depression and I could see that.

Son has Social Anxiety Disorder.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
You could probably present a case for either but strong Thinkers.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I heard on the radio today that study shows that thinking hard makes you fat. =( Im starting to think I can't trust the radio.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I heard on the radio today that study shows that thinking hard makes you fat. =( Im starting to think I can't trust the radio.
LOL well as long as you're just starting to think, knock it off, you'll be fine.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I don't understand the question, what do you mean, Beat?

heart

heart on fire
They can be if they piss everyone else off through "no sympathy" and not making personal alliances but the then their own logic is not sound enough to keep them out of danger zones in their lives, people will be burnt out on them and in return not give them any sympathy or help them out.

In other words, if one is going to stand alone without personal alliances or sympathy for others, one must be damned sure they are capable of sailing the boat alone.

redacted

A healthy strong thinker will acknowledge their feeling side. An unhealthy strong thinker won't. If you don't acknowledge your feeling side, you'll definitely be a risk to yourself.

Sounds simple, but that's really the only answer I can think of.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
A healthy strong thinker will acknowledge their feeling side. An unhealthy strong thinker won't. If you don't acknowledge your feeling side, you'll definitely be a risk to yourself.

Sounds simple, but that's really the only answer I can think of.

What do you mean by "acknowledge their feeling side"? Especially in the context of the day-to-day life of a strong T. Also what would count as ignoring it?

redacted

What do you mean by "acknowledge their feeling side"? Especially in the context of the day-to-day life of a strong T. Also what would count as ignoring it?

Acknowledging your feeling side really means the same thing as using feeling.

Thinking about your values and factoring them into decision making is what a healthy Thinker should do. Otherwise, they'll just be surprised by their reactions to things.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Thinking about your values and factoring them into decision making is what a healthy Thinker should do

This is what any human being does.

Maybe do you have a more specific example of what you're talking about in mind?

redacted

This is what any human being does.

Maybe do you have a more specific example of what you're talking about in mind?

That's unfortunately not what every human being does...

I dunno, think about repression. Something traumatic happens, and you push it down. You don't acknowledge the thing that happened when you're making decisions, therefore it will come out randomly when you don't expect it. It would be more healthy to acknowledge that there is work to be done about the emotional issue, and that full functioning is impossible before the event is processed.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
That's unfortunately not what every human being does...

I dunno, think about repression. Something traumatic happens, and you push it down. You don't acknowledge the thing that happened when you're making decisions, therefore it will come out randomly when you don't expect it. It would be more healthy to acknowledge that there is work to be done about the emotional issue, and that full functioning is impossible before the event is processed.

Do you think F types are any more likely to want or to be able to deal with the negative emotions associated with traumatic events? Maybe the negative emotion could be too much for the F to handle, while the T might feel less of those negative emotions. If anything, it seems very strong F types will have more outbreaks and emotional problems with repressed memories.

However, maybe a T will be more likely to totally explode at one point, but since they are T, perhaps that can act as an advantage allowing them to look and deal with their issues from a detached, more objective standpoint

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
They can be if they piss everyone else off through "no sympathy" and not making personal alliances but the then their own logic is not sound enough to keep them out of danger zones in their lives, people will be burnt out on them and in return not give them any sympathy or help them out.

In other words, if one is going to stand alone without personal alliances or sympathy for others, one must be damned sure they are capable of sailing the boat alone.

I agree with what you say, but this supposed lack of sympathy we have.....I don't know if it's sympathy, it might just be a lack of fussing. I don't even fuss over myself.....
I feel sorry for people, just not for very long.