• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What if Feeler types stopped feeling? What would happen?

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Because some problems are caused by feelings.

So i thought if feelings is ceased then no problems? :)

Feelings - being too emotional *fyi*

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What kind of a question is this? All humans feel. It's impossible to stop feeling. And thinking types feel too. Even if you could stop feeling, the thing that caused you to feel bad would still exist so it accomplishes nothing.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Then the world would literally have no meaning for Feeler types. If emotion is the lens you use to understand the world, as logic is the lens Thinkers view the world, then how would the world make sense for a Feeler that doesn't perceive it through this language?

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
What kind of a question is this? All humans feel. It's impossible to stop feeling. And thinking types feel too. Even if you could stop feeling, the thing that caused you to feel bad would still exist so it accomplishes nothing.
Feeling too much emotions or too much unnecessary feelings.

Being emotional

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Then the world would literally have no meaning for Feeler types. If emotion is the lens you use to understand the world, as logic is the lens Thinkers view the world, then how would the world make sense for a Feeler that doesn't perceive it through this language?
Make sense

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hmmm I think that would lead to said Feelers being forced to rely on their other functions and in essence become second rate Thinkers as they would then be forced to use their lower thinking function. It would suck for them in other words :p and it would be like cutting someones legs off and foricng them to depend on their arms to move around in a metaphysical sense.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Hmmm I think that would lead to said Feelers being forced to rely on their other functions and in essence become second rate Thinkers as they would then be forced to use their lower thinking function. It would suck for them in other words :p and it would be like cutting someones legs off and foricng them to depend on their arms to move around in a metaphysical sense.

So, Feelers that don't feel are essentially people in wheelchairs? Is that why homeless people in wheelchairs are sad? Because they don't have a home? Nope, because they're feelers that can't feel. Such a shame :(

Dreamer the ENTP is here :happy2:

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So, Feelers that don't feel are essentially people in wheelchairs? Is that why homeless people in wheelchairs are sad? Because they don't have a home? Nope, because they're feelers that can't feel. Such a shame :(

Dreamer the ENTP is here :happy2:

He he stop thinking your an ENTP, I pity you for thinking you can be as awesome as us :hug:. Besides I do think you have a very good point above in that feelers who dont access their feeling function are effectively crippled as they are not using something they are strong at. This I why I think NF men are seen as lame as they in roder to fit in with other guys have to repress the N and F functions and use their S and T functions so they become a second rate ST not a first rate NF :).

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Feeling too much emotions or too much unnecessary feelings.

Being emotional

But is the solution to that not to feel at all? Sensitivity can be overcome. Also people who feel a lot can become great artists and writers. They can also emote their feelings to others. Why would you want to give up on that?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
But is the solution to that not to feel at all? Sensitivity can be overcome. Also people who feel a lot can become great artists and writers. They can also emote their feelings to others. Why would you want to give up on that?

Feelings certainly have a place in art as I think passion is one of them that has driven many sucessful things in the world. All great people IMO have a certain level of passion to them that drives them to accomplish great things. However I do think some emotions are far more useful in the past such as fear (A emotion we had to feel in order to suirve but in our modern world can lead to things like stage fright and all that).

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The same thing that would happen if thinkers stopped feeling. MBTI Feeling =/= emotion. It means people-centric rather than logic-centric.

You'd get an apathetic and manipulative individual who understands emotions well. I think they're called politicians.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Feeling function = values

The actual question is "what would happen if Feelers lost/gave up their values"? I suppose the answer is that they would become nihilists.

Thinkers and Feelers both have emotions, and both can seriously cause problems. Sometimes Feelers have processed the subjective realm of values in relationship to emotions enough that they become experts at it, while a Thinker might be thrown off-guard by a sudden surge of personal emotion and not know how to process it, resulting in a destructive outcome. That doesn't always happen, but it can, and so it makes the question in the OP problematic in its conception.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, in the case of losing actual emotions ... the thinkers would lose emotions too because as others have said, feeling in MBTI doesn't equal emotions. But if humanity lost the ability to feel emotions ...

We might all turn into ruthless psychopaths! :happy2:

Or cybermen ...

81f7c8bf308560eb6d2bb4611314772e4831ab5c_hq.gif

tumblr_m1dei8x0Ei1r2vs7so2_500.gif

tumblr_mmng59xtql1qltc1qo1_500.gif

And would no longer be able to: empathize, sympathize, love (except for the action-kind of love) be happy, peaceful, joyful, ecstatic ... goodbye music, stories, art, appreciation of beauty, charity, generosity, attempts of trying to help starving orphans, saving dolphins, etc., etc.

On the bright side, appeals-to-emotion logical fallacies would no longer be an issue! :happy2: Politics would be sooooo much tidier.

If the feeling functions were just lost from MBTI then you'd get all of the irrational feeler types (INFJ, ISFJ, ENFP, ESFP), going into dom-tert loops and then possibly falling into the grip of inferior functions and all of the rational feeler types (ENFJ, ESFJ, ISFP, INFP) falling into the grip of the irrational function. The thinkers would lose their lovely feeling functions which would be so sad because tert Fi ... :cry: and tert Fe ... :cry::cry:

virtualinsanity

MBTI Type
--TP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, whether someone is a "feeler" types have nothing to do with emotion, so that's the first thing.

If feeler types stopped their F function, they'd let loose a little bit because their morals and ethics would be GONE! WOOHOO!

On the one hand ..

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Feeling function = values

The actual question is "what would happen if Feelers lost/gave up their values"? I suppose the answer is that they would become nihilists.
It would like to know instead: what if Feelers (or anyone) lost emotion while retaining their values? This begs the question of how emotions and values are related. I generally consider emotions as a form of sensory input, just like physical sensations like hunger, cold, or a sore foot. They are all inputs to a decision making process that also has values as an input, and relies on logic to process it all.

And yes - I was going to say something similar to [MENTION=30122]Cat Brainz[/MENTION], namely that since feelers also think, just as thinkers also feel, being deprived of one process would still leave the other. Perhaps we would end up with the personality-spectrum equivalent of Ray Charles or Stephen Hawking.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Be careful what you wish for.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A mechanical existence, just going through the motions according to basic physical and fear-based rewards and disincentives without questioning them any further. Controlled by anyone and anything outside of them because they've lost the part of them that lets them make choices. But this is what would happen to thinkers who lost the ability to think, too.

Well, whether someone is a "feeler" types have nothing to do with emotion, so that's the first thing.

If feeler types stopped their F function, they'd let loose a little bit because their morals and ethics would be GONE! WOOHOO!

On the one hand ..

My honor and integrity would persist as would my tendency to ally with the underdog and the helpless. The difference would be my secret life as a nocturnal superhero would be unfettered by pesky empathy! I'd just crush my enemies with ruthless efficiency and 0 capacity for mercy! Woohoo!