• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does MBTI/socionics normalize trauma?

noimage

Enneagram
Excuse the kind of out-there, clickbait-ish title.

I have just created a thread on vegetotherapy and process/depth psychology (supposedly, post-Jungian) and I do wonder whether there is indeed a strict dichotomy between Jungian and post-Jungian psychology.

Could it be that Jungian typology (as a subset of Jungian psychology), in all of its legitimacy, provides shelter for those with a weak sense of self (which can also be legitimized by postmodernism), possibly stemming from enmeshed boundaries with primary caregivers and more or less covert/subtle abuse?

Is this an old ''debate'' in the community? Is it even worthy of being called a debate? Do you think that these approaches do contradict each other?

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
It's a real danger, I think, though I think there's the possibility of it being neutral for others and perhaps even beneficial for a few (who would need more positive reward-based psychology to motivate themselves into getting better).

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I don't understand. Explain in layman's.

erg

MBTI Type
None
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that personality theories in general attract people with a weak sense of self. People who seem to be on a search for something. This could be caused by many things, but most commonly some sort of trauma during childhood. I'm not saying everyone interested in personality theories, or in typology communities will be a traumatized person, but I think a good number of them will be. This hypothesis has been confirmed to me during my interactions with people on forums. Also, this friend of mine (ILI in socionics) came to this same conclusion as me separately.

noimage

Enneagram
Thanks

[MENTION=29849]Yuu[/MENTION], this article provides a case in point : http://iji.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.88/prod.1576

''A Post-jungian Understanding of the Counter-dependent Puella Aeterna (Eternal Girl) as Psychological Pattern in Women''

The eternal child (puer aeternus/puella aeterna) profiles ENFP. This article links the complex to ''underlying narcissistic wounding and archetypal dynamics''. Maybe I have a limited sample, but I noticed that typology discussions rarely if ever end up making reference to narcissistic wounding (trauma), C-PTSD etc. I believe that socionics reinforces the ''shielding'' by introducing the concept of natural conflictors.

The article also places these dynamics in the patriarchical society but this is not something that has been under my radar.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that personality theories in general attract people with a weak sense of self. People who seem to be on a search for something. This could be caused by many things, but most commonly some sort of trauma during childhood. I'm not saying everyone interested in personality theories, or in typology communities will be a traumatized person, but I think a good number of them will be. This hypothesis has been confirmed to me during my interactions with people on forums. Also, this friend of mine (ILI in socionics) came to this same conclusion as me separately.

This. Exactly this.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Had to check my eyes, I thought Mole started this thread.
Regardless, I think it's human nature for people to latch themselves onto any belief systems to process hidden pains through them and I don't fault myself or anyone else to do so.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
several years ago i looked into the idea that other intp's landed in their personality type due to "trauma", and found this thread... i for one, know that i would not be intp if it wasn't for some fucked up shit that happened when i was younger... i found it really interesting how many people claimed to have had shit happen to them during their formative years... i don't think that being intp is necessarily caused by these things, but i highly suspect the numbers swell because of them... i don't have much of an opinion concerning normalization... i also don't concern myself much with wether my understanding matches that of jung or of those who followed... i have my own mental model, but for the most part i view all of this as a shorthand method of communicating who i feel i am and what i observe in others... i think that the water is far too muddy to pinpoint with any accuracy a concrete awnser to your question...

noimage

Enneagram
Had to check my eyes, I thought Mole started this thread.
Regardless, I think it's human nature for people to latch themselves onto any belief systems to process hidden pains through them and I don't fault myself or anyone else to do so.

thanks for the reference. I looked up Mole's threads and they have very interesting material.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
several years ago i looked into the idea that other intp's landed in their personality type due to "trauma", and found this thread... i for one, know that i would not be intp if it wasn't for some fucked up shit that happened when i was younger... i found it really interesting how many people claimed to have had shit happen to them during their formative years... i don't think that being intp is necessarily caused by these things, but i highly suspect the numbers swell because of them...

Very interesting read, thank you for sharing. The general consensus on that page seems to be that a person can indeed be conditioned to be a certain personality type. I don't know what made me INTP, but I have considered that it might be related to intrusive thoughts that I sometimes have. I wonder how childhood trauma would correlate with other MBTI types. Personally I would expect it to correlate with introversion in general, but obviously there would have to be actual research done here.