• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI as Cognitive Therapy?

T

ThatGirl

Is the MBTI cognitive therapy for people with mental disorders?

T

ThatGirl

I am saying this because I think there would be a strong correlation between certain types an certain disorders.

Come on you have never read a type and thought that would be the most likely to have:

Obsessive Compulisve behavior,
Depression,
Anxiety
Sociopathic
schizo

MBTI helps to say you are but because of and it is ok, possibly relieving fear and giving purpose

Mole

Permabanned
Is the MBTI cognitive therapy for people with mental disorders?

Are you serious?

MBTI is at best a party game, and at worst, a cult.

A person with a mental disorder has a psychosis.

And a psychotic is out of touch with reality.

So not only is cognitive therapy contra-indicated for psychosis but party games or cults are damaging.

It seems to me that to ask such a question means you believe your own propaganda.

And this is the first sin of any propagandist.

I am sure you are a naive and narcissistic propagandist, but it doesn't change the facts.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
To say a certain type expresses a behavior more often doesn't excuse that behavior. If it's a problem, it's a problem.

redacted

I think you could make statistically significant correlations between MBTI types and mental disorders.

But that doesn't really help, now, does it? Correlation and causation are completely different...

Mole

Permabanned
I think you could make statistically significant correlations between MBTI types and mental disorders.

Good heavens, you can't even make statistically significant correlations between MBTI types and personality. So you have absolutely no chance of making statistically significant correlations between MBTI types and mental disorders.

Have we disappeared down the rabbit hole with Alice? Should we - could we consult the White Rabbit or perhaps the Queen of Hearts?

redacted

Good heavens, you can't even make statistically significant correlations between MBTI types and personality. So you have absolutely no chance of making statistically significant correlations between MBTI types and mental disorders.

Have we disappeared down the rabbit hole with Alice? Should we - could we consult the White Rabbit or perhaps the Queen of Hearts?

Sorry, but you're wrong. Hopefully someone else will come and link a study, because I'm drunk and tired and you bother me too much for me to care to look it up.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Diagnoses don't correlate with given types (other than depression; no surprise that INFPs have more problems with it given that they are opposite general "norms")

ESFJ/ENFJ mothers are most likely to bring in their extraverted thinking preschoolers, certain that their normal behavior is a sign of autism.

In restrictive school environments (i.e., the child is supposed to sit still for long periods) EP children are most likely to be inappropriately referred for ADHD. C'mon, if they were allergic to wheat we'd stop feeding it to them but if they are "allergic" to inactivity we medicate them...

All types can have various disorders but for each, certain types are more likely to be misdiagnosed.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I am saying this because I think there would be a strong correlation between certain types an certain disorders.

Come on you have never read a type and thought that would be the most likely to have:

Obsessive Compulisve behavior,
Depression,
Anxiety
Sociopathic
schizo

MBTI helps to say you are but because of and it is ok, possibly relieving fear and giving purpose

Yes, I have thought about that. I think it could help with mild cases of each, except for schizophrenia which I'm pretty sure is a pathological condition; some kind of physical brain defect. It would also depend on the individual.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
So what if ISTJs tend to have schizophrenia more...great, he/she has schizophrenia. Sure you can use MBTI as cognitive therapy but personally, I don't see it doing too much, if anything at all. The way doctors and such treat psychosis is actually kind of frightening.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
So what if ISTJs tend to have schizophrenia more...great, he/she has schizophrenia. Sure you can use MBTI as cognitive therapy but personally, I don't see it doing too much, if anything at all. The way doctors and such treat psychosis is actually kind of frightening.

Using type theory and using assessments are two different things. Most type assessments only work on normal people and were designed that way, so you aren't going to get accurate results from any instrument.

On the other hand, Jung used type clinically. That's where it came from --different pathways for therapy got different types unstuck.

A realtime, effective use of type. A colleague of mine in Canada runs a preschool for children of autism. While any type can be autistic, she thinks about it as an exaggerated form of ISTJ--inability to relate to the external world, obsessions on physical objects, inability to put oneself into the shoes of others, and lack of openness. Note that this is total lack of ENFP, which is not how ISTJ appears in normal people.

The parents she works with love this lens--it's easier for them to relate to since they can relate through the type framework better than through "Your child is broken.."

With wonderful results, the preschool uses techniques and structures that Quenk and others found effective in reducing stress in ISTJs.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I think it's useful for anyone with a thought disorder to be able to recognize personal pattern and cause and effect. So the MBTI could be one useful model in that direction. Whether they are able to apply those things to their lives depends on multiple factors - appropriate medication used appropriately, the skill of the assesor and therapist, and the motivation of the patient.

Get those three things in place and any number of models could theoretically work.

Recognition of self-defeating patterns would be the key.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
As usual a veered off topic a little with my answer, I should be more clear. I did not mean to say MBTI would help people. It's more that posting and talking about problems would help. MBTI might help identify people who tend to be more susceptible, but I don't see how that helps.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
hmmm, I can only see this MBTI therapy as helpful if the goal is to help people get rid of their insecurities and realize their potential to one day become an INTP.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
A realtime, effective use of type. A colleague of mine in Canada runs a preschool for children of autism. While any type can be autistic, she thinks about it as an exaggerated form of ISTJ--inability to relate to the external world, obsessions on physical objects, inability to put oneself into the shoes of others, and lack of openness. Note that this is total lack of ENFP, which is not how ISTJ appears in normal people.

The parents she works with love this lens--it's easier for them to relate to since they can relate through the type framework better than through "Your child is broken.."

With wonderful results, the preschool uses techniques and structures that Quenk and others found effective in reducing stress in ISTJs.
Wow! That is really awesome!! Yay!

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Using type theory and using assessments are two different things. Most type assessments only work on normal people and were designed that way, so you aren't going to get accurate results from any instrument.

On the other hand, Jung used type clinically. That's where it came from --different pathways for therapy got different types unstuck.

The signature I use is driectly from the back of the report cards my parents had to endure every ten weeks or so. My grades were above average, but "...he doesn't want to play with anyone. He is always by himself..."

I am so thankful I grew up when I did, and not in the "enlightened" era where any difference fromt he norm gets its own label (and quite possibly its own perscription). Was I autstic? Socialy avoidant? Did I need to be "fixed?"

All I can say is based on where I am now - happy and living comfortably.

So with regard to the OP, I feel that anything that can be used to help people without condemning them to live in a medicated haze during their early years can't be all bad. Are there needs for medication? Are there needs for medical intervention? Of course. But as long as one doesn't rely on just one opinion and gathers facts as best they can before making a decision regarding such matters I don't see the harm.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
For people with unambiguous mental illness, no.

For basically normal folk: It's effective at demonstrating we're not all the same, and we don't have to be.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
For people with unambiguous mental illness, no.

For basically normal folk: It's effective at demonstrating we're not all the same, and we don't have to be.

amen

eric braverman is making nice strides as far as connecting psychosis with neurotransmitters. that is where myers briggs can be helpful. using it directly...ehh not so much