• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do you equate hatred with anger?

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anger is a pure feeling for me. Hatred is but a symptom of it. I rarely feel hatred towards other people, unless they severely hurt me in a variety of different ways. And even then, there's that strange underlying bitter emotion that just makes me wonder how I let it go that far in the first place.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not really. I think hatred is much more concrete than anger. I don't let my anger get in front of my hatred, for it can effect the result of that hatred in a way that I would not prefer.

Lark

Arno Gruen and Erich Fromm have some interesting ideas about this sort of thing, both suggest that we live in a society that insists upon repressing feeling.

Gruen theorised about a need to betray autonomy/self, as a child and later in life, and society's rewarding those who have a diminished sense of self, so instead of love, care, empathy and relating to others and the world everything becomes about power and being destructive.

Fromm has theories about how on the back of that development persons can develop even more sadistic or necrophilious character because its a form, not a good one, not a sustainable one and a destructive one, of relating to others and the world (which he thought was the fundamental dilemma anyone faces in life, consciously or unconsciously).

Dont know if you're a reader but both of those guys have books which I thought were readable enough, some of it might resonate, some of it might not, I dont think destructive thinking or deeds are a great idea, Fromm also thought, in his big book on destructive behaviour, anatomy of human destructiveness, that it was caused by boredom too and the people most likely to be destructive were those who werent occupied any other way or able to cope with being bored.

Lark

Personally I think that anger and rage are temporary states, caused by stress, escalating to outburst and the afterwards a recovery state if you're not able to cope/self-regulate or have someone else able to co-regulate/come to your aid.

Hatred is something else, a more enduring thing, you can experience it without that stress, escalation, outburst etc. Although I'd say it has to have some sort of object to focus on, "the world in general" seems too vague to me, its also something which is likely to, or lets say could, involve that fixation, infatuation, obsession that love does for its object, at least love in a bad sense, that whole romantic mania thing.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Anger is mostly rooted in disappointment and frustration for me.

Hatred is something I feel is more fundamental and a lot less common. I hate war. I'm angry at the people who propegate war. I guess I also typically hate more abstract things, and can only get angry at people because of our small nature.

I agree, sort of. To me, anger comes from disappointment and frustration. Now, when it comes to hatred I think it can be felt for things that don't affect us directly. In sum, you can feel hatred towards something that did nothing concrete to you to feel that way.

Not really. I think hatred is much more concrete than anger. I don't let my anger get in front of my hatred, for it can effect the result of that hatred in a way that I would not prefer.

I think it's the other way around. For example, I'm angry when X thing happens to me. "I'm angry because X happened and I didn't deserve it/it ruined my plans/now I don't have anything to fall back on", etc. On the same line, I can feel anger today and it may seem like it has no cause, but it may be because of something that happened a lot of time ago and I still resent.On the other hand, I can feel hatred towards society believing in X concept, for example. It may not even be that concrete.

I tend to have my own anger/hatred issues, and in some way, I think the difference (in most cases) is that with anger you can point the source/cause, while with hatred, everything is blurry. For example I get angry when I can't control stuff, or when I feel I'm not competent enough for something (either a task or coming up with a good response to someone who offended me), so my blood starts boiling up, I throw something against the wall, slam the door and go away for hours until I mentally put everything in its place. I tend to feel hatred when I can't organize these things well, so my perspective on my surroundings becomes twisted and everyone and everything is to blame. Sometimes it even may feel like hatred is some sort of disease inside that makes you needlessly react against everything.

Though it may also be a figure of speech. You can say I feel hatred/I feel anger and at the same time say I'm angry at X/I hate X, and its different uses may make clear the way you're feeling.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
No. I dont generally equate hatred with anger.

I can be angry because I feel I hate someone.

I can hate someone but feel no anger about it- more just a disappointment that things cant work out.

I can hate someone and be really angry at them.

I can be angry at someone and- at the end of the day- understand WHY- and not hate them.

Its a complicated thing. I dont much like being angry and I even less like hating someone. It feels so final- so dismissive of them as a person. I think EVERYONE has some good in them- but eventually- when all you can really understand for real is that- they really DO want to hurt you- well. Thats when I have to close the door. Its a soft close but a close none the less.

This doesnt happen often. Few people really go out of their way to hurt others I think. And of course there are extenuating circumstances in a lot of cases. But its never an excuse to... cut someone at their lowest- at their most sensitive place-just because you get some personal satisfcation out of it.

Anyways. Thats hatred to me. Hatred is- as arrogant as it sounds- a disappointment. A hurt that I HAVE to do something I dont want to do- I have to- I have to dismiss them. That- even though there might be good... it just isnt... I CANT let myself look and look and look and then- when I dont see it- when instead I see the bad- that its so crushing a reminder of just... what things CAN be.

Anyways. That doesnt happen that often and at the end of the day its probably more a me problem. I hate doing it. Its not fair to completely shut someone out- to blind yourself to the potential goodness that comes from them because you just know- when the negativity comes- its just going to hurt that much more.

I dont have to do it often. Maybe Ive- seriously emotionally backed away from a person... especially when I legitimately think I wont be able to ever resolve it- when I feel hope is lost. I mean. I could count that on one hand. And probably on only a couple fingers really.

But thats hatred to me. It takes a lot to get there- though. I have to judge that you seriously- know what you are doing and have toxic or negative intention. That you WANT to hurt. That you arent just going through a phase- that deep down- you want to unsettle someone so much as to cause them serious emotional harm. That its not some- quick thoughtless accident- but a deliberate and malicious thing.

Anyways. Thats hate.

Anger. Anger can come from hate. I dont like HATING and am angry often at myself when I have to get to that point. Makes me sick almost.

But anger can also come from care. If I see someone- making the same mistakes again and again- falling into traps that they set for themselves- unaware. It makes me angry because... I just... I dont want that for them. I can be angry- generally not at the person who does this- at the person who just lashes out because of all the stress or anything that they are under- who cant- who is trying so hard to just... who is emotionally stuck. I can feel anger at their situation. At their confusion.

I guess. It all at the end of the day depends on whether or not I beliebe that the person REALLY knows what they are doing or not. If I feel they do- then its a lot of disgust from me. Eventually- leading to a disappointment in the world that I can sort of- perhaps unfairly resent them for. If they dont... or I feel they dont- then its defintely more a pity thing. An anger at whatever situation that they are in and just... especially if I cant just.. help them... then an anger at that- that the world will probably beat them up a bit- because of it.

Anyways. Complicated answer perhaps.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Hatred is but a pure waste of energy which requires an investment of our part. It's an investment leading to ruin.

The only type of anger I want to believe I might display, is an anger for a loved one.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
No not at all. They're two completely different things that don't even intersect for me, most of the time.

rav3n

You can have anger without hatred.

You can't have hatred without anger.
I was thinking something similar but in an amended manner.

Hatred can be evidenced by anger but anger doesn't necessarily evidence hatred.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anger is natural, it can even be positive. As for hatred, it is a much more deep feeling, often quite bad for the person who feels it.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Correlation, but not causation.

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
You can be angry without hating, but you can't hate without anger. I have been furiously angry with the people I love most, and I could never hate them.

Hatred is a form of attachment, just like love is--hatred is a strong emotion that you feel toward something, and it emotionally binds you to the object of your hatred. You care what happens to the object of your hatred, but in a negative way--you care that something bad happens to them.

When you say you feel a coldness, that's not hatred. That's indifference. People who set fires to watch them burn or pull the wings off a butterfly to see how they work don't necessarily do it out of hatred--they do it because it gives them pleasure, and they're indifferent to the effect it has on the victim of their actions.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find hatred to be a more rooted and less dynamic expression of anger - usually caused by very deep instant trauma or by a chronic unresolved and unadressed issue. And most often, it is rooted in and covering for extreme fear and distrust - in others and/or in yourself, regarding your ability to keep yourself safe. Since fear is the hardest emotion to deal with and the one that makes us feel helpless - something we often dont want to feel/be associated with, its easier to hate and protect yourself from feeling helpless and vulnerable..

Kershaw

I just have an issue understanding these things because they're not even real, they're concepts so wtf is it? Just some stupid primitive impulse. Am I more basic and stupid than other people because I've acted on negative impulses?

Because you recognize the problem I don't think you're insane but you need to learn to control the feelings and not acto on them.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hate is much less intense for me than anger which borders to rage and is a grave sin. I definitely hate without any anger most of the time, but I also use the word hate in one of its old senses. To hate then means to passionately have an aversion towards something, as in being extremely opposed to or simply really turning away from what it is you hate. To get angered or enraged would not make me turn away from the object that caused it, but rather the opposite. It would tempt me to attack. So it's almost as if the two are complete opposites in my world.

Etymology of Hate
Etymology of Aversion