• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I see words that other people are speaking

Psyclepath

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As well as words that I'm thinking. Everything I see is perceived in words. It's one of these things that doesn't seem to be widely documented at all; unlike synesthesia for example there doesn't seem to be a widespread name.

What I see is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. Words flash as I process them, whether they're spoken by other people or are in my own thoughts. Fonts can change; I haven't observed that much consistency although there are a good many fonts I've never seen these words show up as. Naturally it makes me extremely good at spelling, although it is possible for me to misremember words. Even with words I've never seen written down, I instinctively take a guess at their spelling and that appears in my images.

Anyone else experience this?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I do not but isn't the synthesia or a type of it? I think the closest i get is random scenerios/images of what i associate the word with but nothing like that. it's more like pictures and movies in my brain or links to other things. it's like x goes to d to b back x to a to c to y and omg what was x?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh, I do this but only with the cognitive functions for some reason.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Do you read alot? Seems 100% normal to visualize things in a word format.

Psyclepath

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you read alot? Seems 100% normal to visualize things in a word format.

Reading feels really strange to me, mainly because I'm already processing the words I read. It's like I read everything twice; when it comes to lengthy books with large amounts of information, I lose attention really quickly. I read a lot, but never for long time periods.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I see everything in words too. Ask me for directions on the street and your lost :)

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Hmm, I do think this is still technically a form of synesthesia, although I don't recall ever reading about it being given as example.

I find synesthesia absolutely fascinating. Alternatively, there are also people who are completely incapable of mental imagery and often don't even realize they are "different" until well into adulthood.

I don't really have synesthesia, but sometimes when I am lying in bed at night, if I hear a sudden unexpected noise, I will see a flash of bright white light behind my closed eyelids. The louder the noise/more it startles me, the brighter/more intense the flash is.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, this is interesting, [MENTION=29823]Psyclepath[/MENTION]

I do not do this in the slightest. It is completely foreign to me.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As well as words that I'm thinking. Everything I see is perceived in words. It's one of these things that doesn't seem to be widely documented at all; unlike synesthesia for example there doesn't seem to be a widespread name.

What I see is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. Words flash as I process them, whether they're spoken by other people or are in my own thoughts. Fonts can change; I haven't observed that much consistency although there are a good many fonts I've never seen these words show up as. Naturally it makes me extremely good at spelling, although it is possible for me to misremember words. Even with words I've never seen written down, I instinctively take a guess at their spelling and that appears in my images.

Anyone else experience this?

Is there any internal consistency with font and words? For instance, will the word 'title' be a specific font? Look the same to you?

I have synesthesia and in my college days, did a large paper on the subject. One of the main "proofs" of having synesthesia is internal consistency. It's what separates it from simple associations.

In the case of synesthesia, there are some requirements: The response must be 1) immediate and involuntary 2) not change (you can ask the synesthite what color 's' is when they are 5 and when they are 35. Answer will be the same...

There are more requirements, something like 7 or 8. What you describe could be a form of synesthesia. There are many kinds. Color-grapheme is most common. Which is what I have. But there are composers who 'see' color with notes, etc.

Check out this book for more information: The Man Who Tasted Shapes by Richard Cytowic (did a lot of neuro research on the topic!).

Littleclaypot

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, actually! When someone is talking to me, I see the words above their head, and they're bolded or italicized according to their inflection. I'm glad I'm not the only one, hahaha.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I do this too but I don't see it in bubbles over their head. It's more like a Kindle format.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I wonder if the people who do this are more likely to be stickilers for grammar and spelling than people who don't :thinking: