• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do some people talk with snark on the Internet? I find it immature.

theflame

Permabanned
Do people think they are big and bad when they post snark on the Internet? Do you think their real lives aren't good so that's why they come on the Internet to be a-holes? I personally find that to be immature as if Internet strangers had anything to do with their real lives sucking.

I don't feel the need to talk with sarcasm or in a condescending manner on the Internet. I am myself as I am in real life.
I like to have actual conversations with people.

Sometimes I can't help but stoop to a person's level who does that but once I see a poster type in that manner I tend to not waste my time with it anymore.

I just don't understand this posting snarky...is it some sort of narcissistic complex?

Why do people do it? To get attention? To get a rise out of people?

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Do people think they are big and bad when they post snark on the Internet? Do you think their real lives aren't good so that's why they come on the Internet to be a-holes? I personally find that to be immature as if Internet strangers had anything to do with their real lives sucking.

I don't feel the need to talk with sarcasm or in a condescending manner on the Internet. I am myself as I am in real life.
I like to have actual conversations with people.

Sometimes I can't help but stoop to a person's level who does that but once I see a poster type in that manner I tend to not waste my time with it anymore.

I just don't understand this posting snarky...is it some sort of narcissistic complex?

Why do people do it? To get attention? To get a rise out of people?

It gives them a sense of supirority-somehow? I mean, everything is anonymous and so nothing can come back to them.
TBH, I don't care why they do it. It's just immature and I don't have the time of day to give to those people.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most do it to vent and relieve pressure and frustration. It can be catarthic. Also, if done with wit, it can become a hilarious, even self depricating performance piece.

It also seems to especially show up when people feel not listened to, taken for granted, infringed upon through assumption or when they re having a particularly bad day(where they experienced those frustrations somewhere they couldnt easily express) - iow when theyve moved on from in depth communication and the need to express grievances is higher at that time.

It seems to be a healthy release valve, so long as one doesnt get stuck on a loop :shrug:

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Prepare to hate me.

Personally, I enjoy sarcastic humor with bite. Why make life so miserable?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP

Whoever wrote that article is confusing ironic comments with sarcastic comments. Focused snark and sarcasm are just self-fapping ways to say 'fuck you' and are therefore worthless in almost all aspects, but ironic discourse can encourage isomorphic and out-of-the-box thinking for sure. Sarcasm is usually used to end a discussion, but ironic commentary perpetuates it.

Tater

Whoever wrote that article is confusing ironic comments with sarcastic comments.

Not really. All sarcasm is ironic. It's not expected. The writer made the distinction clear by not categorizing all forms of irony as sarcastic.

Focused snark and sarcasm are just self-fapping ways to say 'fuck you' and are therefore worthless in almost all aspects
Only to a thin-skinned individual...
but ironic discourse can encourage isomorphic and out-of-the-box thinking for sure.
Ironic. You mean like sarcasm?
Sarcasm is usually used to end a discussion, but ironic commentary perpetuates it.
Yeah, right.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Monkey see, monkey do. Eye for an eye. Being snarky can he fun at times, so might as well find snarky people to do it back with.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Not really. All sarcasm is ironic. It's not expected. The writer made the distinction clear by not categorizing all forms of irony as sarcastic.

I must have missed that statement. Likely due to its inability to exist.
The article is a total mess. Just read the comments on it if you think I'm making this stuff up.

All sarcasm is irony because it is a lesser version of it tainted with too many negative attributes. For it to have any merit what so ever all other forms of irony would have to either cease to exist or be unreachable by human capacity- which is not and never will be the case.

As a comparison, the article is suggesting that drinking a cocktail of shitwater and vitamin C might be good for you. When you can get vitamin C on its own if you want. What? :huh:

I think the only reason this article exists is because the people who put it together are the sarcastic types. I see it a lot in pseudo intellectuals with penchants for external validation.

Tater

I must have missed that statement. Likely due to its inability to exist.

The most common form of verbal irony, sarcasm is often used to humorously convey thinly veiled disapproval or scorn.

It's fair to say that the writer understands that there are various kinds of irony. Sarcasm being one of them. This statement doesn't demonstrate confusion. It's accurate.
The article is a total mess. Just read the comments on it if you think I'm making this stuff up.
I read them. I have my own opinion on the matter.

All sarcasm is irony because it is a lesser version of it tainted with too many negative attributes. For it to have any merit what so ever all other forms of irony would have to either cease to exist or be unreachable by human capacity- which is not and never will be the case.

As a comparison, the article is suggesting that drinking a cocktail of shitwater and vitamin C might be good for you. When you can get vitamin C on its own if you want. What? :huh:

I think the only reason this article exists is because the people who put it together are the sarcastic types. I see it a lot in pseudo intellectuals with penchants for external validation.

Sarcasm finds many kinds of expression. One can be sarcastic in a self-depreciative way at the expense of nobody else. One can also be sarcastic when the object of contempt is out of ear's reach.

My favorite form of sarcasm, however, is produced my comedians. It allows them to punch up at erroneous circumstances and stupid people. Furthermore, it gives their audience catharsis and a good laugh. They use it as a tool of the trade to maintain their own livelihood.

Moreover, my sarcasm in this thread has served to stimulate this conversation!

What's one man's "shitwater" is another man's chocolate lava cake.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Poignant malignant sarcasm sucks.

But sometimes well-timed, truth-filled sarcasm that can laugh at itself can be the best answer to a question.

My INTJ is a master at the deadpan and utterly dry sarcastic remark delivery. Usually a succinct one-liner comment that shifts your entire perspective on the matter or that just...puts the cherry on the cake in a way that everyone was thinking, but nobody knew how to deliver properly. And often, if thought through, highly aware and self-deprecating to boot.

And it's rarely malignant or hurtful :shrug:

Me, I'm more partial to amusing irony, as my instrument of choice, but that also means I'm not nearly as good as him at the deadpan thing, or the time-delivery thing :D

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
It's fair to say that the writer understands that there are various kinds of irony. Sarcasm being one of them. This statement doesn't demonstrate confusion. It's accurate.

The sequential logic of the article goes like this: sarcasm is a type of irony, and irony has these benefits, therefore sarcasm has these benefits. He then presents a solution to distill the good elements of sarcasm from the bad by prescribing a healthy dose of "trust." I'm sorry but any philosophy that relies on 'trust me' is poor philosophy, and nowhere in the article is it shown that the benefits of sarcasm do not also apply to the benefits of general irony. In fact it states that it only has any benefit at all when people don't get offended with the comment, which is ironic to say the last since offense is the most appropriate response to sarcasm.

Sarcasm finds many kinds of expression. One can be sarcastic in a self-depreciative way at the expense of nobody else. One can also be sarcastic when the object of contempt is out of ear's reach.

Unless you are genuinely trying to insult yourself self deprecation isn't sarcasm, and if you're being sarcastic when the person of contempt is out of ear's reach either you're talking to yourself or gossiping, neither of which a sane and mature grown-up should be doing.

My favorite form of sarcasm, however, is produced my comedians. It allows them to punch up at erroneous circumstances and stupid people. Furthermore, it gives their audience catharsis and a good laugh. They use it as a tool of the trade to maintain their own livelihood.

Comedians use general irony more than sarcasm, which they typically just reserve for certain public personalities that everyone knows. I find those bits boring, usually. Judgemental condescension has never impressed me.

Tater

The sequential logic of the article goes like this: sarcasm is a type of irony, and irony has these benefits, therefore sarcasm has these benefits. He then presents a solution to distill the good elements of sarcasm from the bad by prescribing a healthy dose of "trust." I'm sorry but any philosophy that relies on 'trust me' is poor philosophy, and nowhere in the article is it shown that the benefits of sarcasm do not also apply to the benefits of general irony. In fact it states that it only has any benefit at all when people don't get offended with the comment, which is ironic to say the last since offense is the most appropriate response to sarcasm.
The fact remains that plenty of people accept the sarcasm of people they trust. In fact, I would go as far to say that it reinforces trust when someone sarcastically expresses a sentiment you agree with. The irony of such statements sends the message: "it goes without saying..." Meanwhile, the biting aspects of it let you know that they are on the same page as you, as they would rather criticize the object you have contempt for than defend it.
Unless you are genuinely trying to insult yourself self deprecation isn't sarcasm, and if you're being sarcastic when the person of contempt is out of ear's reach either you're talking to yourself or gossiping, neither of which a sane and mature grown-up should be doing.
I often find it endearing when someone can criticize themselves with a sense of irony. It shows that they don't take themselves too seriously, and that they are likely reflective and equanimous enough to get over themselves.

The bolded is just black & white thinking based on your own simplistic ideals.
Comedians use general irony more than sarcasm, which they typically just reserve for certain public personalities that everyone knows. I find those bits boring, usually. Judgemental condescension has never impressed me.
You must not impress yourself very often.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8

Ye seem quite detail oriented, so I don't feel out of place responding in a similar fashion: self-deprecation often takes the form of criticizing oneself, which could certainly be construed as an insult and therefore sarcasm. Also, some of the greats in comedy most certainly use sarcasm in a specific and/or general fashion - George Carlin or Robin Williams, for instance, or Louis C.K. more recently. They speak about themselves or broad groups of people, not just specific public personalities. So in a sense, being sarcastic when the person of contempt is out of ear's reach is one of the ways in which they do their job.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
The fact remains that plenty of people accept the sarcasm of people they trust. In fact, I would go as far to say that it reinforces trust when someone sarcastically expresses a sentiment you agree with. The irony of such statements sends the message: "it goes without saying..." Meanwhile, the biting aspects of it let you know that they are on the same page as you, as they would rather criticize the object you have contempt for than defend it.

Trust me, I get it. Sarcasm is one of the most common value signals for the misanthropic and the miserable, and it delights in a sense of validation through circle-jerk resonance. This is why I typically respond to people like that who mistakenly assume I'm a part of that club with upbeat non-critical irony- both to signal that I am not a part of that club, and also to show a better way to live.

The bolded is just black & white thinking based on your own simplistic ideals.

I look forward to your articles on the benefits of being a gossip and the benefits of talking to yourself, so I can eviscerate them as self-justifying nonsense in a similar fashion as your last. It's not my fault that simple principals are the most sound. That's just what logic dictates. :shrug:

The best way to redeem the benefits of sarcasm without taking on the bad aspects is to simply stop being a sarcastic twit that sounds like a 13 year old girl and instead learn to open your mind to comparisons and isomorphic thoughts that aren't tainted by criticism rooted in subjective values.

Ye seem quite detail oriented, so I don't feel out of place responding in a similar fashion: self-deprecation often takes the form of criticizing oneself, which could certainly be construed as an insult and therefore sarcasm. Also, some of the greats in comedy most certainly use sarcasm in a specific and/or general fashion - George Carlin or Robin Williams, for instance, or Louis C.K. more recently. They speak about themselves or broad groups of people, not just specific public personalities. So in a sense, being sarcastic when the person of contempt is out of ear's reach is one of the ways in which they do their job.

Comedians get a pass because it's their job, but like the King's Fool that preceded their profession, I don't really envy or respect any of them. A little self deprecating humor is good to build relations, but too much isn't healthy.

Tater

Trust me, I get it. Sarcasm is one of the most common value signals for the misanthropic and the miserable, and it delights in a sense of validation through circle-jerk resonance. This is why I typically respond to people like that who mistakenly assume I'm a part of that club with upbeat non-critical irony- both to signal that I am not a part of that club, and also to show a better way to live.

What works (or doesn't work) for you won't necessarily work for everyone.

I look forward to your articles on the benefits of being a gossip and the benefits of talking to yourself, so I can eviscerate them as self-justifying nonsense in a similar fashion as your last. It's not my fault that simple principals are the most sound. That's just what logic dictates. :shrug:

The best way to redeem the benefits of sarcasm without taking on the bad aspects is to simply stop being a sarcastic twit that sounds like a 13 year old girl and instead learn to open your mind to comparisons and isomorphic thoughts that aren't tainted by criticism rooted in subjective values.

You like to bang that "isomorphic" drum a lot, huh?

Often, when you draw comparisons, you effectively throw an irrelevant red-herring into the mix that just wastes peoples' time. When your conversation partner already has a deep understanding of the material, you just detract from the substance of the dialogue. Especially if the subject you compare the topic to shares no key characteristics with the main point.

Don't assume people understand less than you do. Otherwise, your method is no better than the so-called "condescending" sarcasm of the people you denigrate.

Judgemental condescension has never impressed me.
stop being a sarcastic twit
You must not impress yourself very often.

I rest my case. :coffee:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You guys realise you re both right, yet? :coffee:

...was that sarcasm? :thinking: :ninja: