• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do some people talk with snark on the Internet? I find it immature.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
What works (or doesn't work) for you won't necessarily work for everyone.

You like to bang that "isomorphic" drum a lot, huh?

Often, when you draw comparisons, you effectively throw an irrelevant red-herring into the mix that just wastes peoples' time. When your conversation partner already has a deep understanding of the material, you just detract from the substance of the dialogue. Especially if the subject you compare the topic to shares no key characteristics with the main point.

Don't assume people understand less than you do. Otherwise, your method is no better than the so-called "condescending" sarcasm of the people you denigrate.

I rest my case. :coffee:

Nothing in this post addresses sarcasm, so I'm not sure what case you're talking about. :shrug:

Since you're now just citing special snowflake doctrine I assume you're out of real arguments and are now leaning on your core values to make your case. Unfortunately that value is also garbage, since human beings have far more in common than out common, especially when it comes to the effects of sarcasm.

Aros

MBTI Type
Entp
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do people think they are big and bad when they post snark on the Internet? Do you think their real lives aren't good so that's why they come on the Internet to be a-holes? I personally find that to be immature as if Internet strangers had anything to do with their real lives sucking.

I don't feel the need to talk with sarcasm or in a condescending manner on the Internet. I am myself as I am in real life.
I like to have actual conversations with people.

I agree, I am myself online as I am in real life. Which is why I use a lot of snark, for I am indeed, a self confessed a-hole. :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What works (or doesn't work) for you won't necessarily work for everyone.

You like to bang that "isomorphic" drum a lot, huh?

Often, when you draw comparisons, you effectively throw an irrelevant red-herring into the mix that just wastes peoples' time. When your conversation partner already has a deep understanding of the material, you just detract from the substance of the dialogue. Especially if the subject you compare the topic to shares no key characteristics with the main point.

Don't assume people understand less than you do. Otherwise, your method is no better than the so-called "condescending" sarcasm of the people you denigrate.

I rest my case. :coffee:

Sarcasm is fun, most laugh to my sarcasm. Its generally got a bad rap from negative people. It is a VERY effective communication strategy if used right. I find that alot dont know how to use it properly and it often bites them in the ass.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nothing in this post addresses sarcasm, so I'm not sure what case you're talking about. :shrug:

Since you're now just citing special snowflake doctrine I assume you're out of real arguments and are now leaning on your core values to make your case. Unfortunately that value is also garbage, since human beings have far more in common than out common, especially when it comes to the effects of sarcasm.

You mean "the use of sarcasm". the effects of it are a symptom of use. Your use of general grouping based on common to slam what you dont like and agree with is you projecting your values. I really find your "condescending" worse then sarcasm...that is also a common thing people have in common. Please inform me of situations where condescending is ever seen in a good light, i can point to ALOT where sarcasm is. Only time i see condescending taken in a positive light is when you have say an ENFP that cares and is willing to badger themselves for the sake of others in which case its classified in general as a bully though that person has rationalized it as "acceptable"

Tater

Diagnosis: intrarectalcranialitis.
Unfortunately that value is also garbage, since human beings have far more in common than out common, especially when it comes to the effects of sarcasm.

"Out common?" That's not even a phrase... :huh: Anyway...

Now you're just creating a strawman because you can't address my point without looking foolish and performing mental gymnastics. As is the case with people who've gravitated to such extremes that they fail to see the nuances in others' perspectives...

But I will humor you anyway.

Your "argument" doesn't follow. Even if human beings have more in common that not in common, there are still aspects that diverge. If there weren't, the field of personality psychology wouldn't have been able to reveal measurable differences between subjects who exhibit different traits.

Moreover, even among those with similar clusters of traits, different circumstances call for different solutions. Hence, different things work for different people.

Good luck tying your shoes with an "isomorphic comparison."

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
You mean "the use of sarcasm". the effects of it are a symptom of use. Your use of general grouping based on common to slam what you dont like and agree with is you projecting your values. I really find your "condescending" worse then sarcasm...that is also a common thing people have in common. Please inform me of situations where condescending is ever seen in a good light, i can point to ALOT where sarcasm is. Only time i see condescending taken in a positive light is when you have say an ENFP that cares and is willing to badger themselves for the sake of others in which case its classified in general as a bully though that person has rationalized it as "acceptable"

I don't talk about myself and I don't talk about other people. Call that condescending if you want, I call it being an adult.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't talk about myself and I don't talk about other people. Call that condescending if you want, I call it being an adult.

I assume you're out of real arguments and are now leaning on your core values to make your case. Unfortunately that value is also garbage

I assume your out of real arguments and are now leaning on core values you dont entail...unfortunately that is garbage.

This is very anti-climatic

Snark...because sometimes people are just an ass.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I find it's a good vaccine to the over-inflated self-importance of some people (and that's a statement which invites hypocrisy, I know) who can only approach a bare minimum of snark and an inability or moment of not wanting to play, results in passive aggressiveness.

And passive aggressiveness is the snark of the unskilled and unaware. Some people are just dicks, but often what is hard to swallow can be alluded to better in a bit of sarcasm (especially where sincerity falls on deaf ears: the insincere cannot recognise sincerity). Irony is also good, but can often run the risk of being analysis without solution if not well constructed in content and presentation. Although in social issues on an individual level it is always ultimately up to the individual making the complaint to come up with a plan of action for their own self-analysis.

Otherwise you're just sticking your hand in the fire and complaining about the burns.

And what progress can come from that?

PS: Of course there is always the skill of pitching it just right. Some people can't take certain kinds of mental pressure & angles of consideration because they aren't ready to accept either fault or responsibility. Such a person is their own worst enemy in the long run and tends to rely upon the empty support of those as feckless as themselves. I have yet to find the snark that can penetrate such density.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I assume your out of real arguments and are now leaning on core values you dont entail...unfortunately that is garbage.

This is very anti-climatic

Snark...because sometimes people are just an ass.

I'm not the topic of this thread, and I'm more than capable of defending myself if I have to or want to. Neither of which currently apply.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
"Out common?" That's not even a phrase... :huh:

So much for not dumbing everything I write down...

Now you're just creating a strawman because you can't address my point without looking foolish and performing mental gymnastics. As is the case with people who've gravitated to such extremes that they fail to see the nuances in others' perspectives...

But I will humor you anyway.

Your "argument" doesn't follow. Even if human beings have more in common that not in common, there are still aspects that diverge. If there weren't, the field of personality psychology wouldn't have been able to reveal measurable differences between subjects who exhibit different traits.

Moreover, even among those with similar clusters of traits, different circumstances call for different solutions. Hence, different things work for different people.

I'm sorry, you mistook what I said. When I said that you were abandoning arguments directly related to sarcasm in favor of leaning on the more fundamental special snowflake doctrine, it was not an invitation to branch off into debating special snowflake merits. Rather, it was an invitation back to the topic of the thread. That invitation still stands.

Good luck tying your shoes with an "isomorphic comparison."

Bunny ears, Bunny ears, playing by a tree.
Criss-crossed the tree, trying to catch me.
Bunny ears, Bunny ears, jumped into the hole,
Popped out the other side beautiful and bold.

I'm weary of arguing that the sky isn't neon pink. How about we move on to a different article and give you a chance to go on the offensive instead:

What does sarcasm say about you?

Here are some common reasons you might be sarcastic:

1. You fear you aren’t good enough, so you subconsciously put others down so you can feel superior. The worse you feel about yourself the more biting your remarks toward others could be. Insecure people have to put others down or tease them, in order to feel important and of value themselves. If this is your issue you may need some professional help to improve your self- worth.

2. Sarcasm is also a way of asking for what you want when you are scared to ask for it directly. You might crack a joke about your wife’s crazy shoes because you don’t know how to just say you don’t like them. But your sarcastic remark leaves your wife unsure about what you really think. Were you joking or serious? If you don’t know how to say things in a way that won’t hurt, you make a joke, which usually still hurts, but creates a space where if she takes offense, it’s her problem. If this is your issue, you need to improve your communication skills.

3. Sarcasm may be passive-aggressive anger. This happens because you feel taken from, insulted or annoyed by this person and you really want to take a jab at them. Sarcasm is a way to take a jab without being seen as mean. A joke absolves you of responsibility for their feelings. If this is your issue, you need to learn how to resolve the issue you are angry about.

4. You may feel angry at life for the disappointments or abuse you have suffered. Sarcasm can be a way to take out your anger toward life or vent your frustration. The more life does you wrong, the more biting your remarks toward others could be. If this is your issue you need to learn how to use your life experiences to make you better not bitter.

5. If you were teased in a cruel way, put down or made to feel inferior as a child, you may be subconsciously trying to get the upper hand now. You may look down on others and jokingly strike at them as a way to feel superior and powerful. Again, you may need some help to improve your self-esteem so you can show up with love.

6. You like to get attention by entertaining those around you with humor. You probably need this attention to validate your worth. You need this attention so badly you will do it at the expense of other people. Fear creates subconsciously selfish behavior, but this can be fixed. There are lots of way to be funny without hurting other people.

Just take a minute, if you are the sarcastic person, and honestly ask yourself if any of these issues could be behind your sarcastic comments.

Tater

Who gives a shit about "adult" characteristics or "childish" characteristics?

You don't see parents watching Disney movies with their kids in fear of being seen as "childish."

I find the more people care about fulfilling "adult" roles, the less they've actually gained in personal growth.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Who gives a shit about "adult" characteristics or "childish" characteristics?

Adults, mostly. Being adulty as a child is cool, but but being childy as an adult is a problem.

You don't see parents watching Disney movies with their kids in fear of being seen as "childish."

Because it isn't.

Ignoring the points I've made doesn't count as "defense."

But not wanting to still counts as not wanting to. It's easy, but it's time consuming and off topic. Pass.

You seem to be on tilt as well as unwilling to return to the topic. Calling this one.

Tater

I'm sorry, you mistook what I said. When I said that you were abandoning arguments directly related to sarcasm in favor of leaning on the more fundamental special snowflake doctrine, it was not an invitation to branch off into debating special snowflake merits. Rather, it was an invitation back to the topic of the thread. That invitation still stands.

The topic of the thread revolves around the reasons people use snark and sarcasm. My comments directly pertain to this point, as it works for some people under certain circumstances.

If you can't see how it's on topic, then I'm sorry.

I should have known better than to expect a cognizant response from you. :shrug:

Mole

Permabanned
Do people think they are big and bad when they post snark on the Internet? Do you think their real lives aren't good so that's why they come on the Internet to be a-holes? I personally find that to be immature as if Internet strangers had anything to do with their real lives sucking.

I don't feel the need to talk with sarcasm or in a condescending manner on the Internet. I am myself as I am in real life.
I like to have actual conversations with people.

Sometimes I can't help but stoop to a person's level who does that but once I see a poster type in that manner I tend to not waste my time with it anymore.

I just don't understand this posting snarky...is it some sort of narcissistic complex?

Why do people do it? To get attention? To get a rise out of people?

Some of us aren't comfortable in our own skins, and we aren't comfortable in our own psyches, so we deploy psychological defences to protect ourselves.

And you are right, it does limit the possibility of conversation, and we are tempted to reply in kind.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
The topic of the thread revolves around the reasons people use snark and sarcasm. My comments directly pertain to this point, as it works for some people under certain circumstances.

If you can't see how it's on topic, then I'm sorry.

I should have known better than to expect a cognizant response from you. :shrug:

Don't you dare slam your door young man, or I'll have your father take it off.

Anyway, 'because it works for some people in some circumstances' is not a good enough reason for me, since the same could be said of rape.

Next reason. Go.

...you do have more, right? :huh:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm bumping this thread to share an article I ran across about the somewhat broader topic of people being "mean" (jerks, dicks, whatever) on the internet, when in RL they would be perfectly civil. Some highlights:

"There is a lot of evidence that cooperation is a central feature of human evolution," says Rand. Individuals benefit, and are more likely to survive, by cooperating with the group. And being allowed to stay in the group and benefit from it is reliant on our reputation for behaving cooperatively.

Unlike in the offline world, there is no personal risk in confronting and exposing someone, so there is a lot more outrage expressed online. And it feeds itself. "When you go from offline -- where you might boost your reputation for whoever happens to be standing around at the moment -- to online, where you broadcast it to your entire social network, then that dramatically amplifies the personal rewards of expressing outrage."

This is compounded by the feedback people get on social media, in the form of likes and retweets and so on. "Our hypothesis is that the design of these platforms could make expressing outrage into a habit," Crockett explains.

"You might think that there is a minority of sociopaths online, which we call trolls, who are doing all this harm," says Cristian Danescu-Niculescu-Mizil, at Cornell University's Department of Information Science. "What we actually find in our work is that ordinary people, just like you and me, can engage in such antisocial behavior. For a specific period of time, you can actually become a troll. And that's surprising."

If social media as we know it is going to survive, the companies running these platforms are going to have to keep steering their algorithms, perhaps informed by behavioral science, to encourage cooperation rather than division, positive online experiences rather than abuse.

All of this suggests that ordinarily nice, peaceable folks can turn trollish online given the right circumstances, which is strongly dependent on the behavior of those they encounter online. This deterioration in behavior can similarly be mitigated by the actions of individuals working to deescalate situations, as well as by the algorithms of social media sites.

Thoughts?

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We're talking about the derisive stuff toward other people, and not just general joking around, right?

Because it seems to me that questions and answers about that are one in the same with any other sorts of insults: why do people insult others? It has the same sort of inferiority complex or immaturity or childishness that most any other insult or derision would carry with it.

That is, I don't see it as more of an indication of a bad childhood or inferiority convex than general meanness souls be.

Insults and all are bad, I suppose. In an ideal world, we'd all get along and never hold contempt for anyone else and never be mean, we'd have unicorns, and adults would never insult one another or disrespect one another in any way.

But I figure that if I am going to be condescending, I may as well have fun with it. Outright insulting is just not as fun. :unsure:

Most do it to vent and relieve pressure and frustration. It can be catarthic. Also, if done with wit, it can become a hilarious, even self depricating performance piece.
So this is my take exactly.