• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would You Accept a Promotion That Leads to Very High Stress?

Would you accept a significant promotion if you know it would cause hi stress?

• Yes, if the money, benefits and new status are significantly better.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 72.4%

• Total voters

cosmictone

Vagrant Terranaut
MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i voted no. even if i said yes to a promotion, i don't know how stressful it is for me until i try. but as soon as my threshold is breached i'll start looking for an escape route.

Blacksheep2017

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Do you think this kind of mentality helps maintain your physical and mental well-being?

Ha! No! I wouldn't reccomend that approach for most people. I'm usually high strung anyway. I'm an adrenal body type that is always pumping cortisol and so that's why a position like that wouldn't be too drastic of a change for me personally. But the money would have to good. If it's not, then it wouldn't be worth my energy.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It would depend on where I was working and what the promotion was. If my current employer wanted to promote me to coffee-shop manager (haha that's a laugh) I would refuse because I'm going to college and wouldn't be able to swing both full-time classes and a full-time job without it bringing down my GPA. If this scenario took place after I graduated from college and I didn't think the promotion would adversely affect anything I considered more important, then I would accept.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Yes. I'm an ISTJ. If thet offered me a promotion, I need to prove that they can count on me.

acd

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nope. I (partially) measure my success in life by how much stress and, er, responsibility I am able to avoid :D .

I am a person who wants to enjoy the process....so if the end goal is great but the process is miserable, then no thanks. And money and status aren't really that great if spoiled by stress (and they can even bring their own stress that offsets their benefits.... "mo' money, mo' problems").

I don't believe it is virtuous to work yourself to the bone. A lot of cultures hold that work ethic in high regard, but I question if it's truly ethical or merely propaganda for the benefit of higher-ups (i.e. they get a lot of relatively cheap work horses who feel "paid" in their pride over a concept). I would ask myself if my needs are being met as-is....and if not, is this the only way to meet them? I look for the sweet spot of maximizing my needs and minimizing my stress/efforts. If that spot is nowhere to be found, then I do what I need to in order to meet actual needs. But rarely, unless you get tunnel vision, is that spot nowhere to be found or at least nowhere on the horizon.

I actually agree completely with this. This is what I would have said.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. I can't even adequately handle the stress from my life with a lower-paying job as is.