• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would You Accept a Promotion That Leads to Very High Stress?

Would you accept a significant promotion if you know it would cause hi stress?

• Yes, if the money, benefits and new status are significantly better.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 72.4%

• Total voters

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A significant promotion, where I secretly decide to only do it for a year, save a lot of money, then quit? Maybe. But that's only because I make next to nothing right now (by choice- I had a 'career' once) and the boost for a year would be excellent . But generally speaking, no to the OP. I have sort of been down that path, and misery isn't worth it. I voted no. Even when I was in that world, the 'life' part of work life balance was always of highest priority to me.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Nah I'm already a wreck.

*runs through a field of flowers nude and screaming*

Update: The aesthetic of this being my 1,000th post is so powerful I might just retire from the forum right now.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have taken one before. I would do so again. Higher stress goes hand in hand with more responsibility and therefore greater pay or greater opportunity for experience. If it doesn't then I don't know why anyone would take more stress for no benefits. Seems like they may be bad negotiators. :unsure:

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's a balance to be had. Get yourself near self-actualization (survival comes first) and feel free to stop there. Continuing would defeat the purpose of taking on a high-level position.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes if I still get to leave work on time, No if not.

High stress jobs usually don't allow you to leave work on time, so no.

People try to achieve more and more, earn more and more, buy more and more, try to be cool more and more, socialize more and more etc etc to escape this constant nagging feeling of dissatisfaction which in return causes stress.

So getting a job that causes stress is counterproductive.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The optimal next step for me IS a job with significantly more stress but also much better pay, benefits, and status. So yes. Absolutely yes. I hope it happens.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Selected yes, because that is more than hypothetical. But I have also passed over a few opportunities while waiting for the one I wanted, and once directly declined one to the face of the person offering because it wasn't the one, either.

It was easier to imagine turning these things down before I actually arrived at that point - if this is a possibility for you, you've probably been in the workplace long enough to be thoroughly absorbed into its social workings and its meaning of status. Sticking to my specific objective while others around me moved up quicker by taking opportunities as they came was unexpectedly stressful - after that experience, I can't write off the need to belong as worthless or not real, at least for me. If I'm faced with a similar choice in the future, I might make the same choice, but will give this part of me more weight and consider whether a route of less social resistance will really hold me back so much on the goal if I still want it so badly, or maybe the connection or just the relaxation of blending in could even help. Also, I don't think that those who go about advancement in more open and opportunistic ways are any worse than me at it - actually, they're probably better.

Being a extreme results-oriented person has driven me to both say yes and no in this situation. If I decide that I want something, I am very certain of its worth and I err on the side of not thinking or caring enough about the experience of getting there, like the opposite of someone who doesn't try something because it would be too much effort. I might not even notice that I am running myself into the ground until some kind of physical pain arises. I agree that there is a dark side to this trait, and people can do bad things if the object of lust becomes worth more to them than their morals, themselves, or the people they love; or they don't know themselves well enough to choose the right object to direct this sacrificial energy at.

It is probably never going to go away, and some cycle of grind and release is just going to be the rhythm of my life, but I can make it humane by growing my sense of where to slow down for my health and what end goals are more authentic and worth what I can't help but dump into them. The latter growth is coming along better than the former, but they are both coming along.

If this promotion really will be that unpleasant but I say yes to it anyway, it's because getting it is of course not my desired result, but part of a larger process with something different at the end that I know to be much truer to myself. It will serve its purpose at a time I can already foresee when I take it, and at that time I will be done.

brainstormer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Low levels of stress cause boredom. Optimum levels of stress are the best. High levels of stress harm physical and emotional health. What's the point of having more money, more benefits, better prestige and more power if it increases your chances of becoming physically and/or mentally ill? Generally, people make most of their decisions in the hopes of increasing their happiness. If a promotion causes very high stress, does it really contribute to your happiness?

Here's a depiction of Stress Curve. Ideally, we should all aim to be at the optimum range:

View attachment 18195

brainstormer

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=33040]brainstormer[/MENTION]

It depends what is meant by 'very high stress'; is the OP talking about more stressful than the original job or stressful which is likely to make one ill.

I mean stress that is above the optimal level.

brainstormer

MBTI Type
INTJ
I wish I could say "no" but the flatter from being offered, the inability to feel like I'm letting others down and the pressure I put on myself to "succeed" would send me into the position. I deal with stress and anxiety all the time anyway, so if the money was right, why not?

Do you think this kind of mentality helps maintain your physical and mental well-being?

brainstormer

MBTI Type
INTJ
already did take a promotion with a significantly higher stress level than my previous job... and the benefits are the same as I previously had and it wasn't that much of a raise (though I was at the highest level of pay for my previous role), but the status got a definite boost and it much more easily clears the way for further promotions

like [MENTION=19700]Anaximander[/MENTION] said... less wear and tear on the body... the physical stresses were getting to be too much :(

Significantly higher stress than your previous job doesn't necessarily mean stress that is above your optimal level of stress. Actually, if your previous job has very low levels of stress, taking a job that would raise your stress to your optimum range would be a good move to help improve your physical and mental health.

brainstormer

MBTI Type
INTJ
This is a wonderful post, and I do think that part of the problem with working your fingers to the bone is that there is no time for mental reflection on life and oneself. There is constant menial distraction that makes it impossible to really think.

It charmed me a bit when a friend of mine was saying that a big problem in the world is that people keep doing "stuff", and if people would just sit quietly and quit doing, that there would be much less suffering in the world. We've all heard the old saying "idle hands are the devil's playground", but it is interesting to consider the opposite is true. I do think that a lot of ambition does cause suffering because it is based on ego and domination - even wars require that ambition. If all the harmful people in the world were just a bit more lazy, they couldn't act out their harm, and they might even have time to reconsider their need to control and dominate in the first place. Even the people who ambitiously do helpful things are often acting directly against those ambitiously doing harmful things (except during natural disasters and other examples one could find, but still, there is a point here to consider).

Interesting way to look at it.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
Don't you consider the long-term effects it may have on your physical and mental health?

I've been through stressful times, and I want more. I want a rough and challenging life in order to make myself stronger.

brainstormer

MBTI Type
INTJ

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i said yes... it wouldn't be long before i quit however... i am a sucker for short term gains...

brainstormer

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have taken one before. I would do so again. Higher stress goes hand in hand with more responsibility and therefore greater pay or greater opportunity for experience. If it doesn't then I don't know why anyone would take more stress for no benefits. Seems like they may be bad negotiators. :unsure:

Greater stress should be ok as long as it doesn't exceed the optimal sttess level for you.