• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Having Cognitive Mindfulness and Empathy Skills as Part of the Curriculum

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't see too much emotional regulation as a sizable percentage. In CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) and REBT (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy) under every negative emotion are cognitive distortions in the thought process.

I see our news, politicians and broadcasters use labels, judgment and pejoratives. It is all right to stick to facts or else take private ownership of how one feels in a personal sense. Because I do not see this I think it has to start in early education.

Having Cognitive Mindfulness and Empathy Skills as Part of the Curriculum
"There is much discussion of change andblesshaving a paradigm shift in consciousness. For things to get better it starts with the children, education and parental upbringing.
I am sharing a pet peeve of mine when it came to the audience members of Facebook and (Myers Briggs Typology Index) Forums. A sizable majority don't utilize cause and effect to support their position. Instead they make use of correlations such as, (1) "The eyes are the mirror of the soul." It has no basis in fact. Look at Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, white color criminals and the divorce rates. This is not to mention domestic violence. Most people can be thought to possess kind eyes if we project unto them.

My next point is almost rhetorical. How do we get the general populace to utilize critical thinking and make use of mindful cognitive discipline? Another whopper, (2) "Love will solve all the answers." There cannot be, not without balanced reason. I put out 165+ 'notes' on cognitive distortions, resiliency, blind spots and various topics. Yet this knowledge is not assimilated unless there is an interest or background of being familiar with the terminology. To be fair that is how the human species learn. Our brains filter in and out information every day to every living person.

Hypothesis: "Things won't change. (3) "We are in the area of a new spiritual awakening." If that is so then school bullying wouldn't be a problem. It's a readily handy problem and fixable. Resource and attention isn't adhered. We can't evolve until the school systems teach empathy and cognitive discipline. We need to learn to think and feel. The way I see it there has to be scientific research done in control and experimental groups to show the significant (if any) disparity of students learning cognitive discipline and empathy exercise against the one's that don't receive such instruction. What are the graduation rates of the control and experimental group? What is the percentile of crime in the two studies group? What is the happiness ratio of the two sets?"

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The great majority of mental health issues stem from dysfunctional home life during the early formative years of life. I know this will never be a reality but parents in an ideal world would require some license prior to having children. Dysfunction breed dysfunction. According to resiliency statistics one out of three children overcome dysfunctional home life. A majority of mental illness, crime, substance abuse and alcoholism have their root in early childhood. If people need a license before operating a car then raising a child should require some degree of one's own mental stability. As I said it will never turn into law. Barring that then we need to focus on education specifically cognitive mindfulness and empathy skills.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We can't evolve until the school systems teach empathy and cognitive discipline. We need to learn to think and feel. The way I see it there has to be scientific research done in control and experimental groups to show the significant (if any) disparity of students learning cognitive discipline and empathy exercise against the one's that don't receive such instruction. What are the graduation rates of the control and experimental group? What is the percentile of crime in the two studies group? What is the happiness ratio of the two sets?"
How do we teach empathy, especially in a school setting? I find it far easier to teach cognitive skills, but even this is done poorly by most schools. Of course it helps at least to try, to have that not only be a goal of the educational system, but to tailor processes to support that goal rather than to undermine it.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
How do we teach empathy, especially in a school setting? I find it far easier to teach cognitive skills, but even this is done poorly by most schools. Of course it helps at least to try, to have that not only be a goal of the educational system, but to tailor processes to support that goal rather than to undermine it.

Hello Coriolis I can envision a setting where one explores their feelings and share much as in a therapeutic environment. When one hears another student voicing concerns and sharing feelings of how a certain event or action by another individual caused them to feel, then one gains clearer insight into another's personal universe. Also, that one's actions have consequences not anticipated.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
We have improved with written laws that were resisted. However we have not evolved spiritually or emotionally since recorded history 6,000 years ago and beyond. We can revert to savagery due to this lack of spiritual development and emotional maturity. We each walk a path independent and hopefully take the higher road in times of adversity. As for those that elect to take the low road of subjective negativity and projections they are under the power of blind spots and the best way to handle them is to ignore them provided they don't cross boundaries or break laws.

Then they must be held accountable by those in an authority position. But to repay negativity with more negativism only debases us. We react in emotion and we don't act in a proactive sense. We have not matured spiritually nor developed emotional regulation. It is so simple in a philosophical sense, "Stick with objective facts, use debate style format and refrain from human subjectivity." As in statistics one can not have subjectivity so as in the use of reason. Human emotional reasoning is labeled a cognitive distortion. Those that fall under it's shadow do so unknowingly from blind spots of awareness and emotional lack of maturity.

We have not matured generationally. It appears each generation must make mistakes in reasoning as their predecessors. We seem to have a blank tablet of emotional maturity. This is why as an idealist I proposed both cognitive mindfulness as well empathy to be taught in the school systems. It all starts with our children but the message falls on deaf ears as change is resisted.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"It is all about action however the human species is mostly reactive in nature not proactive of thought followed by action and changes in behavior. It is why on a personal note I have a problem with religion for it says what to do but not how to incorporate it as a feasible behavior newly formed. People say, "Oh I believe in this" but when push comes to shove all are under sway of blind spots and rationalization. It has to start at the ground level with disciplined thought balanced with compassion. This must be learned not just merely expounded as one's belief."

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Unfortunate their is the reactive instead of proactive paradigm. People only seem to get worked up if it involves themselves or their is a catastrophe that impels emergency action. I don’t see the way around this conundrum. In an article I stated for cognitive mindfulness along empathy skills being taught, first there has to be research that it has a cost benefit analysis.

The variables given graduation rates, crime statistics and the happiness ration variance between the control group and experimental groups. Until this is painstakingly done no action will manifest. We’ll be talking about it but no changes will occur in the education system nor will society evolve.