• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Mental Health Should Be Covered

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I 100% agree with mental health needing to be covered. Its not a laughing matter as some will think.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I 100% agree with mental health needing to be covered. Its not a laughing matter as some will think.

the issue is what mental health covers is often invisible and people say oh that person can behave they just choose not to. or oh they're lazy. or if after you've gotten help and doing well they go oh she was faking. and it's like UGHHHH!!!!! thanks assholes.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree absolutely and have great respect for your initiative to address this issue.

Healthcare (for both the physical and mental) is a shared public good. When everyone is healthy, it benefits the whole society. Roads, parks, education, are all public goods because we all benefit from these. The same is true of people being healthy - we benefit individually, but also collectively as a society.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I agree absolutely and have great respect for your initiative to address this issue.

Healthcare (for both the physical and mental) is a shared public good. When everyone is healthy, it benefits the whole society. Roads, parks, education, are all public goods because we all benefit from these. The same is true of people being healthy - we benefit individually, but also collectively as a society.

I agree completely. it's like help those who need it cuz most people once on their feet want to be productive, but maybe i'm naive on that :shrug: i don't think anyone successful gets to where they are without some help along the way.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is so refreshingly honest and heart touching. Mental health should be taken more seriously, you're right. So many devastation (suicides, mass shootings, etc) could have prevented if there was more legislative power going into making health coverage cover the psychological aspects on top of other health issues.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
This is so refreshingly honest and heart touching. Mental health should be taken more seriously, you're right. So many devastation (suicides, mass shootings, etc) could have prevented if there was more legislative power going into making health coverage cover the psychological aspects on top of other health issues.

what's scary is physically conditions are also being targetted, i don't really have any physical conditions but mental usually gets a backseat because like i said earlier it's invisible.so i focused on mental health because that's what i'm familar with, but i think both need to be taken care of.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I agree mental health should be covered. I am for prevention.The great majority of mental health issues stem from dysfunctional home life during the early formative years of life. I know this will never be a reality but parents in an ideal world would require some license prior to having children. Dysfunction breed dysfunction. According to resiliency statistics one out of three children overcome dysfunctional home life. A majority of mental illness, crime, substance abuse and alcoholism have their root in early childhood. If people need a license before operating a car then raising a child should require some degree of one's own mental stability. As I said it will never turn into law. Barring that then we need to focus on education specifically cognitive mindfulness and empathy skills.

Having Cognitive Mindfulness and Empathy Skills as Part of the Curriculum
"There is much discussion of change and having a paradigm shift in consciousness. For things to get better it starts with the children, education and parental upbringing.
I am sharing a pet peeve of mine when it came to the audience members of Facebook and (Myers Briggs Typology Index) Forums. A sizable majority don't utilize cause and effect to support their position.

Instead they make use of correlations such as, (1) "The eyes are the mirror of the soul." It has no basis in fact. Look at Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, white color criminals and the divorce rates. This is not to mention domestic violence. Most people can be thought to possess kind eyes if we project unto them. My next point is almost rhetorical. How do we get the general populace to utilize critical thinking and make use of mindful cognitive discipline? Another whopper, (2) "Love will solve all the answers."

There cannot be, not without balanced reason. I put out 165+ 'notes' on cognitive distortions, resiliency, blind spots and various topics. Yet this knowledge is not assimilated unless there is an interest or background of being familiar with the terminology. To be fair that is how the human species learn. Our brains filter in and out information every day to every living person. Hypothesis: "Things won't change. (3) "We are in the area of a new spiritual awakening." If that is so then school bullying wouldn't be a problem.

It's a readily handy problem and fixable. Resource and attention isn't adhered. We can't evolve until the school systems teach empathy and cognitive discipline. We need to learn to think and feel. The way I see it there has to be scientific research done in control and experimental groups to show the significant (if any) disparity of students learning cognitive discipline and empathy exercise against the one's that don't receive such instruction. What are the graduation rates of the control and experimental group? What is the percentile of crime in the two studies group? What is the happiness ratio of the two sets?"

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not easy to bare yourself like that, good job.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I agree mental health should be covered. I am for prevention.The great majority of mental health issues stem from dysfunctional home life during the early formative years of life. I know this will never be a reality but parents in an ideal world would require some license prior to having children. Dysfunction breed dysfunction. According to resiliency statistics one out of three children overcome dysfunctional home life. A majority of mental illness, crime, substance abuse and alcoholism have their root in early childhood. If people need a license before operating a car then raising a child should require some degree of one's own mental stability. As I said it will never turn into law. Barring that then we need to focus on education specifically cognitive mindfulness and empathy skills.

Having Cognitive Mindfulness and Empathy Skills as Part of the Curriculum
"There is much discussion of change and having a paradigm shift in consciousness. For things to get better it starts with the children, education and parental upbringing.
I am sharing a pet peeve of mine when it came to the audience members of Facebook and (Myers Briggs Typology Index) Forums. A sizable majority don't utilize cause and effect to support their position.

Instead they make use of correlations such as, (1) "The eyes are the mirror of the soul." It has no basis in fact. Look at Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, white color criminals and the divorce rates. This is not to mention domestic violence. Most people can be thought to possess kind eyes if we project unto them. My next point is almost rhetorical. How do we get the general populace to utilize critical thinking and make use of mindful cognitive discipline? Another whopper, (2) "Love will solve all the answers."

There cannot be, not without balanced reason. I put out 165+ 'notes' on cognitive distortions, resiliency, blind spots and various topics. Yet this knowledge is not assimilated unless there is an interest or background of being familiar with the terminology. To be fair that is how the human species learn. Our brains filter in and out information every day to every living person. Hypothesis: "Things won't change. (3) "We are in the area of a new spiritual awakening." If that is so then school bullying wouldn't be a problem.

It's a readily handy problem and fixable. Resource and attention isn't adhered. We can't evolve until the school systems teach empathy and cognitive discipline. We need to learn to think and feel. The way I see it there has to be scientific research done in control and experimental groups to show the significant (if any) disparity of students learning cognitive discipline and empathy exercise against the one's that don't receive such instruction. What are the graduation rates of the control and experimental group? What is the percentile of crime in the two studies group? What is the happiness ratio of the two sets?"

the other issue is a lot of research is losing funding under trump, so yeah i agree but at the same time research relies so heavily on government grants and if the money's not there can't really do research, my mom works in medical research at a university, it sucks because research is so important for us to move forward as a society.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Mental health services should be treated the same as physical health services, because mental health is just as important a component of overall health.

I have thought the highlighted every time there is a high-profile shooting on the news. Many of the mass shooters have a documented history of mental illness INCLUDING a history of trying - or having their family try - to get help, but without success due to lack of resources one way or another. How many lives would be saved if such people got treatment before they went after others with a gun, knife, or bomb? Even some of the folks supposedly inspiried by Islamic extremism had troubled backgrounds, depression, etc.

Then there are the folks, usually black men, killed by police. Some of these people are mentally ill, too, but the police are not trained to handle that. They shoot rather than employ techniques for de-escalating the situation so the suspect can be taken in alive, assessed, and treated.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
That was a really great article, it's brave of you to share your experiences with mental health issues. And I agree, mental health should be covered. Health care is really shit in America, and that makes me sad.

it is and we're taught to feel bad for people with physcial ailments and if we complain about mental stuff its look there's people without legs, and it's like yes terrible for them but, why are my problems insignficant because they're invisble? the funny thing is the people with physical stuff are more sympathetic the to the mental health stuff ime usually compared the people with nothing physically or mentally wrong.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
it is and we're taught to feel bad for people with physcial ailments and if we complain about mental stuff its look there's people without legs, and it's like yes terrible for them but, why are my problems insignficant because they're invisble? the funny thing is the people with physical stuff are more sympathetic the to the mental health stuff ime usually compared the people with nothing physically or mentally wrong.

Yeah, it's like it's one or the other, but there's never sympathy for both. Which is a shame, because both are equally important.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
There is no difference between mental health care and physical care (or dental care for that matter). If one part of the body is unhealthy, all of the body is unhealthy. The reason for this is lack of care integration. The other is the idiotic insurance companies that feel medication is more cost-effective than therapy (thanks big pharma!). Add that to care barriers, a lack of help in rural areas and that America bought into prison being a fine substitute for a therapist. Last I checked, prison aren't in the business of helping anyone with anything.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
well the responses to this thread gives me hope. i mean hope won't fix anything but it's a start.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
you're right, chickenz

and a person can make a real mess of their lives if they can't afford the mental healthcare that they need... wouldn't wish that on anyone really

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
you're right, chickenz

and a person can make a real mess of their lives if they can't afford the mental healthcare that they need... wouldn't wish that on anyone really

yeah if the bill went through i might not've been able to and i'm sure the same for others.

gromit

likes this
Thank you so much for sharing your story!

It impacts every area of life. With my my patients I can so often see that their physical progress is limited by mental health stuff, and it will continue to be limited until they are able to address those issues.