User Tag List

123 Last

Default The Difference Between Psychopath and Sociopath + A Sociopath claims he is "gifted"

Psychopathy is inborn, sociopathy developed as traumatisation reflex, and defence mechanism.

A sociopath claims, ‘We are the uniquely gifted’ : Lovefraud.com – sociopaths, psychopaths, antisocials, con artists, bigamists

Deluded idiot

"What the experts call superficial charm, I call having a natural ability to win friends and influence people. What experts call manipulative and conning, I call an affinity for persuasion based upon an innate ability to pinpoint others personality strengths and weaknesses. What the experts decry as a lack of compassion, I call pragmatism and clarity."

The Difference Between a Sociopath and a Psychopath - Examined Existence

Psychopath

"Nature (genetics) is said to be one of the strongest predisposing factors of psychopathy. According to David Lykken, a behavioral geneticist, psychopaths feature brains with physiological defects. Based on his studies, the part responsible for emotion and impulse control is underdeveloped in psychopaths."

Sociopath:

"The symptoms of sociopaths arise from sociological aspects that have affected them negatively when they were young. These factors include poverty, aberrant peers, parental neglect, to name a few. To wit, nurture or environment contributes to a person’s sociopathic behavior."

Functional Sociopath

Lisbeth Salander from "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"

Functional Sociopath

Sherlock Holmes

Borderline Sociopath

Dr. House

Psychopath

The Jackal, Carlos

Psychopath

Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman), Die Hard, 1987

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp

These two terms have a complex history, and to some extent sociopathy is the term that replaced the diagnostic criteria for psychopath, from what I understand. I do know the two terms have a complex history and that based on the research of psychologist James Fallon who found similarities among brain scans done on inmates diagnosed with sociopathy. From his research, he suggests that there are three genetic components that when combined with childhood trauma, produces the sociopath.

I'll look for the links and post them to add to the discussion.
    bunny omi

"Powehi means “the adorned fathomless dark creation” or “embellished dark source of unending creation” and comes from the Kumulipo, an 18th century Hawaiian creation chant. A Hawaiian name given to the very first scientific confirmation of a black hole."

Likes Mechnick liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp

I guess they are starting to delineate that genetic difference in the two terms, but there is a lot of former articles where they are used interchangeably, so perhaps this distilling process you describe is settling into the official terms?

Differences Between a Psychopath vs Sociopath | World of Psychology

I formerly found and posted a really great link that breaks down three different genetic components to, what is apparently being reserved for the psychopathy definition. I double I'll ever find that old post now though and the link isn't coming up in my google searches. It is good to make the distinction between having a genetic component and having purely environmental influences.
    bunny omi

"Powehi means “the adorned fathomless dark creation” or “embellished dark source of unending creation” and comes from the Kumulipo, an 18th century Hawaiian creation chant. A Hawaiian name given to the very first scientific confirmation of a black hole."

Quote Originally Posted by labyrinthine View Post
    These two terms have a complex history, and to some extent sociopathy is the term that replaced the diagnostic criteria for psychopath, from what I understand. I do know the two terms have a complex history and that based on the research of psychologist James Fallon who found similarities among brain scans done on inmates diagnosed with sociopathy. From his research, he suggests that there are three genetic components that when combined with childhood trauma, produces the sociopath.

I'll look for the links and post them to add to the discussion.
    Ok, you can post it.

Nice description

From what I understand, if you are traumatized you can become a sociopath. It depends on the severity of trauma.
    Coping mechanisms depends on the level of sociopathy. If you are fucked up you cant cope, if you are mildly disturbed as a child you can, if you are little teased you can cope well. Sociopathy is reversible. You can turn into a 'normal' person

Psychopathy is irreversible. It s a brain damage. It cant be treated.
    Likes Powehi liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp

Found it!

A Neuroscientist Uncovers A Dark Secret : NPR

Dr. James Fallon (summarized)
    1. "Fallon says the orbital cortex puts a brake on another part of the brain called the amygdala, which is involved with aggression and appetites. But in some people, there's an imbalance — the orbital cortex isn't doing its job — perhaps because the person had a brain injury or was born that way.

2. He looked at 12 genes related to aggression and violence and zeroed in on the MAO-A gene (monoamine oxidase A). This gene, which has been the target of considerable research, is also known as the "warrior gene" because it regulates serotonin in the brain. Serotonin affects your mood — think Prozac — and many scientists believe that if you have a certain version of the warrior gene, your brain won't respond to the calming effects of serotonin.

3. Diane (Fallon's wife) probably does not need to worry, according to scientists who study this area. They believe that brain patterns and genetic makeup are not enough to make anyone a psychopath. You need a third ingredient: abuse or violence in one's childhood.
    The third ingredient is violence in childhood because the formal definition of psychopathy/sociopathy involves violent behaviors."
    bunny omi

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnick View Post
    Ok, I d like you to post

Nice description

From what I understand, if you are traumatized you can become a sociopath. It depends on the severity of the trauma.
    It's good to have that distinction, but for some reason I've been presented with the terms interchangeably. Perhaps what is being called "secondary psychopathy" category that includes sociopaths is where the confusion is happening. There are a lot of people who lean in the direction of anti-social personality disorders, but there is still a difference between people who lean in the direction and full-blown versions of these disorders. Perhaps 'sociopathy' is now a term used to define behaviors that lean in that direction, but might not be based on having zero remorse and empathy.
    bunny omi

Do they have a treatment for this these days?

If it is caused by violence, can therapy help close those gaps and heal those wounds? I take it that if the trauma led to destructive but self-rewarding behaviour it would be almost impossible, but technically, one could recover from those wounds like a 'non-warrior' person does.

...granted, providing the connection and social support one typically needs for that is going to be hard with people that are real risk to others.

Quote Originally Posted by labyrinthine View Post
    It's good to have that distinction, but for some reason I've been presented with the terms interchangeably. Perhaps what is being called "secondary psychopathy" category that includes sociopaths is where the confusion is happening. There are a lot of people who lean in the direction of anti-social personality disorders, but there is still a difference between people who lean in the direction and full-blown versions of these disorders. Perhaps 'sociopathy' is now a term used to define behaviors that lean in that direction, but might not be based on having zero remorse and empathy.
    Yes, it can be. Leanin toward anti-social behaviors. But, for some reason I imagine sociopathy as something you can bent, but it can bounce back to its previous state, depending on resilience; it can be broken, but it can be fixed. If its totally broken, then the damage is irreversible. I imagine a stick and its elasticity.

With psychopathy I imagine something like inborn brain damage.

In fact,
    Last edited by Mechnick; 03-10-2017 at 08:02 AM.

@Labyrinthe

2. He looked at 12 genes related to aggression and violence and zeroed in on the MAO-A gene (monoamine oxidase A). This gene, which has been the target of considerable research, is also known as the "warrior gene" because it regulates serotonin in the brain. Serotonin affects your mood — think Prozac — and many scientists believe that if you have a certain version of the warrior gene, your brain won't respond to the calming effects of serotonin.
    This is interesting.

3. Diane (Fallon's wife) probably does not need to worry, according to scientists who study this area. They believe that brain patterns and genetic makeup are not enough to make anyone a psychopath. You need a third ingredient: abuse or violence in one's childhood.
    The third ingredient is violence in childhood because the formal definition of psychopathy/sociopathy involves violent behaviors."
    I dont believe.

I think it's inborn. There are some inborn pathologies.