• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socionics. I'm not so sure...

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
The types are based on the Typology types, but I guess they're somewhat different. The only source I really looked at described the way people's bone structures were shaped being good indicators of type. This sounds like outdated bullshit. The eight shapes are kind of annoying because they just refer to the functions, and I'd rather remember "Te" than "clear L-shape." Typology was not built upon, it was ripped off. Or at least that's the way it seems. I actually haven't done the research. But that's why I want to know your opinions. I heard that the Socionics type is the same as the Typology type only about 70% of the time. So I could be an ENFj according to typology, though I'm a strong P. Maybe I could even be something way, way off! Does this theory have any merit? If it does, it could be one of the most useful theories to use off the cuff for communication.

Can anyone tell me anything?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
From what I have seen and heard, I don't care for it.

I like just having one system I understand well that I can use successfully.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From what I have seen and heard, I don't care for it.

I like just having one system I understand well that I can use successfully.

I agree. Carl Jung's theory is elegant in its simplicity, and yet complex enough to account for the infinite varaitions we see in people. IMHO, Socionics introduces unnecessary and somewhat forced additional levels of complication and obfuscation to the theory.

The only part of it I might subscribe to is linking physiology with type. I have observed that certain types often have a distinct facial or body type which can aid in their identification. However, I find the old distinctions of ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph to be more useful for this purpose.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I do enjoy the physical type descriptions though:

Intuitive-Logical Extratim - ENTp (The Inventor)

NTps usually have a distant, far away look in their eyes and it often seems as though they are paying little attention to what is going on. During conversation ENTps like to play with objects, like a pen for example, often accidentally breaking it. They may gesticulate when passionately telling a story.

ENTps do not know how to keep the right psychological distance with people. This becomes especially noticeable during long term interaction. One day they can be friendly and the next day they can be completely opposite. They often behave unceremoniously and can rudely butt in on others conversations. ENTps can also find it difficult to evaluate how others feel about them and therefore can make mistakes when choosing friends.

All true.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Socionics throws you for a loop. I disagree with almost all their celebrity type-jobs, but their Intertype Relations are the best available.

They screw the pooch on some of it like every other school.

snegledmaca

Do any of you have actually experience in dealing with socionics? Or are these just impressions of it, not genuine criticism?

I've been into socionics for quite some time, feel free to ask me anything.

Mole

Permabanned
I agree. Carl Jung's theory is elegant in its simplicity, and yet complex enough to account for the infinite varaitions we see in people. IMHO, Socionics introduces unnecessary and somewhat forced additional levels of complication and obfuscation to the theory.

The only part of it I might subscribe to is linking physiology with type. I have observed that certain types often have a distinct facial or body type which can aid in their identification. However, I find the old distinctions of ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph to be more useful for this purpose.

How about phrenology?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do enjoy the physical type descriptions though:

Intuitive-Logical Extratim - ENTp (The Inventor)

All true.

And all not true with my ENTP friend, he is pretty much the opposite.

Socionics is about how people behave, it basically tries to put jungs typology into behaviors, which doesent really fit too well, because jungs typology is about cognition and for behavioral output there are other factors playing a part too that make it nearly impossible to type based on behavior. Behavior is based so much in other stuff that typing based on it is not a trusted way. Sure some people might feel that the descriptions of bone structure and/or behavior fits them, but, so do some people who are into astrology..

It does have seemingly good interaction stuff, but i would be quite skeptical when reading them

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like the Quadras, and the profiles have a lot of interesting remarks about behavior.

G

garbage

I agree with INTP, but also Asterion. The theory has some good ideas and some not so good ones.

--

Also, above all, I do not want a theory to tell me that I'm a huge, incapable baby who needs a dual in order to even function in this world without spilling his little baby sippie cup all over himself.

.. well, provided that it's not true, anyway...

...which it isn't, thank you.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Socionics takes some time sorting through all the available information. If you are keen on people observation and have a lot of social experience, it's not difficult to sort the good info from the bad. People struggle with it when they have been too sheltered socially.

I find this website to be good source of socionics info and they also have some stuff on MBTI and enneagram.

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While I'll continue to stay true to MBTI, I like Socionics because it has some concepts that MBTI lacks, such as Quadras, Intertype relations, and various temperaments. I have carried over such concepts to MBTI (although not directly).

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
While I'll continue to stay true to MBTI, I like Socionics because it has some concepts that MBTI lacks, such as Quadras, Intertype relations, and various temperaments. I have carried over such concepts to MBTI (although not directly).

Yes, I've skimmed about it last year but for some reasons, I don't really have an urge to continue my reading. I've read about it again for few days now..It's seems more interesting and got lots of information.
Anyway, I enjoy reading MBTI, socionics and the enneagram for leisure time.

CashmanGreen

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I have studied socionics for quite some time, and i havent found anything that doesnt fit perfectly other than their celebrity typing. I think socionics is supperior to the other methods i am aware of. Socionics alone lets me cold read personality types from facial features and posture which is really amazing once you start noticing odd relations, and i was a skeptic when i read that people look like their type

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
This forum is great, but it's pretty boring for me..I'm more fascinate with socionics now.
I'll leave this forum for now.

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
As I read more about the socionics, I found my enneagram tritype. It could be possibly 5w6-1w9-4w5. MBTI gives me a result as an INTJ, but in socionic I'm LII (INTJ). But I might think I'm more to an INTP. Now I know why I keep reading about the socionic than MBTI..:)

Ingvar-spb

MBTI Type
INTP
Привет всем :hi: I'm not sure about MBTI ,but socionics have planty of autors giveing different type descriptions. And that causing a problem with typing celebrities.
And till now, I can't get a point of MBTI . Socionics allows to predict relationships between people - so it's useful. And what MBTI is necessary for? I'm not sure ...

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's odd, i can't find a type i feel comfortable with for myself in socionics. I did the test twice and came up as INFp.. i really do not relate to that type description at all. I checked the next two...ENFp and ENFj... i prob identify most with the ENFp description but it's still off and by a fair bit at that... it dosn't seem to fit...seems too rigid and narrow. I also checked ESFp and ESFj for good measure...both also way off the mark...gah!
Can anyone link me a good socionics type description page?