• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socionics. I'm not so sure...

G

garbage

It's odd, i can't find a type i feel comfortable with for myself in socionics. I did the test twice and came up as INFp.. i really do not relate to that type description at all. I checked the next two...ENFp and ENFj... i prob identify most with the ENFp description but it's still off and by a fair bit at that... it dosn't seem to fit...seems too rigid and narrow. I also checked ESFp and ESFj for good measure...both also way off the mark...gah!
Can anyone link me a good socionics type description page?

Yup, the bolded is my problem with Socionics in general. If a structure is too rigid, it runs the risk of not accurately fitting when it's tested against the real world--and Socionics attempts to dictate placements for all eight functions and interactions between all sixteen types, so it's pretty flippin' rigid.

This is my best fit description, but I must say that certain glaring things don't fit--for example, I don't conflict with ISTjs or similar types as often as I apparently 'should.'

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The thing I like about it is it seems to view s and n types more as "equals" so to speak in some ways. I disagree with the intertype relations though. I like the idea of groups within socions that tend to act together more around common purposes though. I think each type has types that are more attractive to it modified by demographics and activity.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is my best fit description,

Yup that's my best fit too, although unbeknownst to me for why... i kept getting INFp on the tests. (we need a snigger emoticon)
I find it's all ok in the description you linked, which was my original point of reference, well ok enough of a fit until we scroll down to.... wait for it...

"5. Introverted sensing.
An IEE will typically have a single item he orders at certain restaurants without fail; if he isn't in the mood for that item he doesn't eat there. He will stubbornly refuse to eat anything that he knows he does not like, refusing to try a "new recipe" of anything that he did not like before. The IEE would much rather sleep in his own bed than anywhere else as a matter of familiarity, but this preference never enters his mind when a friend invites him to stay the night, sometimes resulting in a lack of quality sleep that the IEE will forget about the next time around. IEEs almost never emphasizes his attractiveness or sexuality overtly and publicly, but dreams of being pleasing to the senses to at least a small circle of trusted friends and partners who are able to develop and enhance his sexuality and attractiveness in a trusting atmosphere. He often will obsess about his looks in front of the mirror, trying to get the right combination of preparedness and liberated comfort. It is embarrassing to come to an event overdressed, as the IEE would rather look like they simply came on a whim rather than over-prepared. They will usually undermine the time spent in preparation and will avoid speaking on the topic altogether. When getting sick, the IEE may stubbornly refuse or "conveniently forget" to take any sort of medicine. Their chosen method of dealing with sickness and physical discomfort is ignoring it until it can no longer be ignored. An IEE will frequently forget meals and sleep when excitedly working on a new project or in some sort of social gathering. Exhaustion, hunger, thirst, and full bladders will be ignored until the need is overwhelming and affects the IEE's concentration."

The bolded is absolutely not me at all, no way Jose. In italics are things that are occasionally me. (The last part i do actually relate to-pretty much)
The problem i have is that the description is so certain of itself... there's no bendy bits. It insists that all IEE's are exactly so. I could pick at all the other descriptions of the IEE's functions but this one is most glaringly obvious in the "not me" shares.

G

garbage

The bolded is absolutely not me at all, no way Jose. In italics are things that are occasionally me. (The last part i do actually relate to-pretty much)
The problem i have is that the description is so certain of itself... there's no bendy bits. It insists that all IEE's are exactly so. I could pick at all the other descriptions of the IEE's functions but this one is most glaringly obvious in the "not me" shares.

Exactly.. this is the problem with trying to find a best fit. There's not much real danger in a theory attempting to explain social dynamics and internal cognitive processing in one fell swoop--but there is when people take it try to apply it to other people especially when it hasn't been validated.

For the record, this is half of my beef with MBTI and other systems, too.

Also, the last time I visited the Socionics forums, it was run by a neurotic individual and his clique, who all hilariously belonged to his quadra--and they all apparently wanted it to stay that way. (For the record, their quadra did oppose mine--so go go Socionics for predicting that!) It looks like this has changed since then, though.

.. of course, this isn't the fault of the system, but still, it made learning about it that much harder.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly.. this is the problem with trying to find a best fit. There's not much real danger in a theory attempting to explain social dynamics and internal cognitive processing in one fell swoop--but there is when people take it try to apply it to other people especially when it hasn't been validated.

For the record, this is half of my beef with MBTI and other systems, too.

Also, the last time I visited the Socionics forums, it was run by a neurotic individual and his clique, who all hilariously belonged to his quadra--and they all apparently wanted it to stay that way. (For the record, their quadra did oppose mine--so go go Socionics for predicting that!) It looks like this has changed since then, though.

.. of course, this isn't the fault of the system, but still, it made learning about it that much harder.

Haha, i find it hard to see the word "system" without thinking..."Rise against the system, people to the power, power to the people"

G

garbage

Haha, i find it hard to see the word "system" without thinking..."Rise against the system, people to the power, power to the people"

Dammit. My training as a systems engineer has tarnished any chance I've ever had of being a full-out rebel because that's how I see systems.

Time to burn all of my Bad Religion merchandise :doh: