User Tag List

12 Last

Default Narcissism and Evolution

Narcissism is a real problem because it narrows our focus onto ourselves and so hypnotises us, and so stops us from understanding the world around us.

One of the most important discoveries of the Western Enlightenment of the 18th and 19th centuries was evolution, not only as it applies to biology but how it applies to everything from cosmology, where we see whole galaxies evolving, to our own psyches which are evolving from the moment of conception, through the growth of childhood, into puberty, into the responsibility of grown ups, to the wisdom of old age, to child rearing which evolves from the sacrificial, to the abusive, to the authoritarian, to the helping.

When we are narcissistic we are unable to place our thoughts and feelings in the larger context of the evolution of our psyche. And we are reduced to the mechanics of mbti. That's all we know, all we know is ourselves, we don't know how we fit into the evolving world.

MBTI
    IntJ
    Enneagram
    85X sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Narcissism is a real problem because it narrows our focus onto ourselves and so hypnotises us, and so stops us from understanding the world around us.

One of the most important discoveries of the Western Enlightenment of the 18th and 19th centuries was evolution, not only as it applies to biology but how it applies to everything from cosmology, where we see whole galaxies evolving, to our own psyches which are evolving from the moment of conception, through the growth of childhood, into puberty, into the responsibility of grown ups, to the wisdom of old age, to child rearing which evolves from the sacrificial, to the abusive, to the authoritarian, to the helping.

When we are narcissistic we are unable to place our thoughts and feelings in the larger context of the evolution of our psyche. And we are reduced to the mechanics of mbti. That's all we know, all we know is ourselves, we don't know how we fit into the evolving world.
    More of this nonsense Mole? If there are "active listeners" and empathizers on this forum, you are not among them. Decency expects that we hold ourselves to a higher standard than we do of others. Tell me, what such capacity have you demonstrated? Was there any in your vain and meandering monologues, completely bereft of interest in others?

Lead by example.
    Likes Yuu, Xann, Lord Lavender, Typh0n, Norrsken liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Abendrot View Post
    More of this nonsense Mole? If there are "active listeners" and empathizers on this forum, you are not among them. Decency expects that we hold ourselves to a higher standard than we do of others. Tell me, what such capacity have you demonstrated? Was there any in your vain and meandering monologues, completely bereft of interest in others?

Lead by example.
    He is.
    See: Narcissism.
    Likes Lord Lavender, Norrsken liked this post

Lead by example.
    It's true I don't practise active listening or empathy on Typology Central because I don't practise therapy here and none of us practise reciprocal listening.

My posts are of interest to me because through them I discover what I think.

And I am certainly not a leader rather I enjoy critical thinking. I never know what I am going to write and so I write to discover myself.

Lead by example.
    I quite understand you don't like me, and I know how you feel, because I don't like you either.

But the enlightenment did not discover evolution, Darwin and Lemark (spelling) and the other figures in the evolution debates were much, much later than the period referred to as the enlightenment, also evolution is not the same thing as human growth and development over the life cycle and I dont recognise the cycle you describe at all as legitimate, I cant see how sacrificial, abusive, authoritarian or helping behaviour would be evolutionary conditioned or intrinsic at all, I dont see them as necessarily culturally or sociologically conditioned or requisite either.

Mole have you noticed that you get a hold of an idea like evolution and try to make it serve as a grand, singular explanatory theory? Its not something which would be on message with the whole enlightenment period or research norms which you're going the homage bit about.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    But the enlightenment did not discover evolution, Darwin and Lemark (spelling) and the other figures in the evolution debates were much, much later than the period referred to as the enlightenment, also evolution is not the same thing as human growth and development over the life cycle and I dont recognise the cycle you describe at all as legitimate, I cant see how sacrificial, abusive, authoritarian or helping behaviour would be evolutionary conditioned or intrinsic at all, I dont see them as necessarily culturally or sociologically conditioned or requisite either.

Mole have you noticed that you get a hold of an idea like evolution and try to make it serve as a grand, singular explanatory theory? Its not something which would be on message with the whole enlightenment period or research norms which you're going the homage bit about.
    Do you think galaxies sprang into life fully formed? No, the galaxies evolved just like us.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

I've actually found mbti and other typing systems have made me less narcissistic and more attuned to the fact that others see/view/experience/perceive the world differently than I do.

Maybe it's all bullshit, but it's some eye-opening bullshit anyway.
    NOSCE TE IPSUM. "Know thyself."

Default Narcissism and Delusion

We are narcissists speaking to narcissists, we validate each others narcissism, we are no good for each other. It reminds me of my visits to the Psychiatric Department of Little Bay Hospital in Sydney, where we had paranoid schizophrenics talking to paranoid schizophrenics and validating each others delusions.

We validate each others' belief that 'it is all about me', just as they validated each others delusions in the Psychiatric Unit.

Narcissism has zero public utility for human evolution.

It's the reason why some nations advance and some fail.