• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Narcissism and Evolution

Mole

Permabanned
Narcissism is a real problem because it narrows our focus onto ourselves and so hypnotises us, and so stops us from understanding the world around us.

One of the most important discoveries of the Western Enlightenment of the 18th and 19th centuries was evolution, not only as it applies to biology but how it applies to everything from cosmology, where we see whole galaxies evolving, to our own psyches which are evolving from the moment of conception, through the growth of childhood, into puberty, into the responsibility of grown ups, to the wisdom of old age, to child rearing which evolves from the sacrificial, to the abusive, to the authoritarian, to the helping.

When we are narcissistic we are unable to place our thoughts and feelings in the larger context of the evolution of our psyche. And we are reduced to the mechanics of mbti. That's all we know, all we know is ourselves, we don't know how we fit into the evolving world.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
Narcissism is a real problem because it narrows our focus onto ourselves and so hypnotises us, and so stops us from understanding the world around us.

One of the most important discoveries of the Western Enlightenment of the 18th and 19th centuries was evolution, not only as it applies to biology but how it applies to everything from cosmology, where we see whole galaxies evolving, to our own psyches which are evolving from the moment of conception, through the growth of childhood, into puberty, into the responsibility of grown ups, to the wisdom of old age, to child rearing which evolves from the sacrificial, to the abusive, to the authoritarian, to the helping.

When we are narcissistic we are unable to place our thoughts and feelings in the larger context of the evolution of our psyche. And we are reduced to the mechanics of mbti. That's all we know, all we know is ourselves, we don't know how we fit into the evolving world.

More of this nonsense Mole? If there are "active listeners" and empathizers on this forum, you are not among them. Decency expects that we hold ourselves to a higher standard than we do of others. Tell me, what such capacity have you demonstrated? Was there any in your vain and meandering monologues, completely bereft of interest in others?

Lead by example.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
More of this nonsense Mole? If there are "active listeners" and empathizers on this forum, you are not among them. Decency expects that we hold ourselves to a higher standard than we do of others. Tell me, what such capacity have you demonstrated? Was there any in your vain and meandering monologues, completely bereft of interest in others?

Lead by example.

He is.
See: Narcissism.

Mole

Permabanned

Lead by example.

It's true I don't practise active listening or empathy on Typology Central because I don't practise therapy here and none of us practise reciprocal listening.

My posts are of interest to me because through them I discover what I think.

And I am certainly not a leader rather I enjoy critical thinking. I never know what I am going to write and so I write to discover myself.

Mole

Permabanned

Lead by example.

I quite understand you don't like me, and I know how you feel, because I don't like you either.

Lark

But the enlightenment did not discover evolution, Darwin and Lemark (spelling) and the other figures in the evolution debates were much, much later than the period referred to as the enlightenment, also evolution is not the same thing as human growth and development over the life cycle and I dont recognise the cycle you describe at all as legitimate, I cant see how sacrificial, abusive, authoritarian or helping behaviour would be evolutionary conditioned or intrinsic at all, I dont see them as necessarily culturally or sociologically conditioned or requisite either.

Mole have you noticed that you get a hold of an idea like evolution and try to make it serve as a grand, singular explanatory theory? Its not something which would be on message with the whole enlightenment period or research norms which you're going the homage bit about.

Mole

Permabanned
But the enlightenment did not discover evolution, Darwin and Lemark (spelling) and the other figures in the evolution debates were much, much later than the period referred to as the enlightenment, also evolution is not the same thing as human growth and development over the life cycle and I dont recognise the cycle you describe at all as legitimate, I cant see how sacrificial, abusive, authoritarian or helping behaviour would be evolutionary conditioned or intrinsic at all, I dont see them as necessarily culturally or sociologically conditioned or requisite either.

Mole have you noticed that you get a hold of an idea like evolution and try to make it serve as a grand, singular explanatory theory? Its not something which would be on message with the whole enlightenment period or research norms which you're going the homage bit about.

Do you think galaxies sprang into life fully formed? No, the galaxies evolved just like us.

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I've actually found mbti and other typing systems have made me less narcissistic and more attuned to the fact that others see/view/experience/perceive the world differently than I do.

Maybe it's all bullshit, but it's some eye-opening bullshit anyway.

Mole

Permabanned
Narcissism and Delusion

We are narcissists speaking to narcissists, we validate each others narcissism, we are no good for each other. It reminds me of my visits to the Psychiatric Department of Little Bay Hospital in Sydney, where we had paranoid schizophrenics talking to paranoid schizophrenics and validating each others delusions.

We validate each others' belief that 'it is all about me', just as they validated each others delusions in the Psychiatric Unit.

Polka

Narcissism has zero public utility for human evolution.

It's the reason why some nations advance and some fail.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Narcissism has zero public utility for human evolution.

It's the reason why some nations advance and some fail.

Arguably, neither does music.

Of course human utility is different to evolutionary utility. Human utility seeks efficiency, in judgement of the surroundings, evolutionary utility (as far as we understand) simply uses what works, regardless of the smoothness of the method & form.

This is the stark contrast of technologically modern societies; more connected with more information at our disposal, yet less able to use and understand that information and less able to make connections.

The drive to remove what is considered irrelevant in pursuit of self-insistent activities, whose only reason for existing is to provide motion for existence. We've created bastions of self-contained human utility, but we have emptied them of the evolutionary form.

And the important question is: Why did evolutionary utility give rise to human utility? Which seeks to isolate and observe the former as if it were separate and creates fortresses of civilization in order to pretend that it is.

Lark

I thought Mole was back there for a moment, he's disappeared, so has Ceecee, a couple of others besides but I cant recall their usernames (they change all the time and stuff) but I recall their personalities.