• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Couch and the Cult

Mole

Permabanned
Sure, I agree.

But can the produce of one's critical thinking, when subject to critical thinking itself, also cause cognitive dissonance I wonder?

Once we become good at critical thinking it becomes a satisfying pleasure. But to become good at critical thinking requires practice. They say it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become a master.

There are three stages. The first stage is we learn our spoken culture as babies and children, and we take in the language, manner and mores of our culture intuitively without thinking.

In the second stage we are taken from our intuitive home by State Law and sent to a special institution with specially trained teacher to learn to read and write, to become literate. And we become literate individuals steeped in our own literate culture. And we learn to think counter intuitively.

And in the third stage, having learnt our own spoken and literate cultures, we start to apply our critical thought to them in order to refresh them, extend them and create something new.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You might be interested to know that I have encouraged Red Herring to tell us when she doesn't like us, providing she doesn't insult us. And practising what I preach, just yesterday I told a member I didn't like them, without insulting them.

So to call someone stupid is insulting, and to call someone a gluttonous intellectual is also insulting. And insults are against the rules, whereas we are free to simply say I don't like you.

I can't say I don't like you but I am working up to it.

Baby steps. :)

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Once we become good at critical thinking it becomes a satisfying pleasure. But to become good at critical thinking requires practice. They say it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become a master.

There are three stages. The first stage is we learn our spoken culture as babies and children, and we take in the language, manner and mores of our culture intuitively without thinking.

In the second stage we are taken from our intuitive home by State Law and sent to a special institution with specially trained teacher to learn to read and write, to become literate. And we become literate individuals steeped in our own literate culture. And we learn to think counter intuitively.

And in the third stage, having learnt our own spoken and literate cultures, we start to apply our critical thought to them in order to refresh them, extend them and create something new.

Aufhebung. :yes:

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
See, I'd wondered why I had ye blocked when I came back on here when I really don't tend to do that. "Who is this?", I thought. Then I remembered why.

The only thing more important than a good writer is a good reader, so if my posts still don't make sense to you after all this time, perhaps you might like to consider whether it is your comprehension that is lacking.

And indeed there is a huge qualitative difference between a good night out with one's mates and psychoanalysis.

And if you think there is no difference it would suggest to me an aggressive, vulgar anti-intellectualism.

And I suspect this is something you are proud of. And naturally you seek to rally your mates against the educated.

This. It smacks of a smug pseudo-intellectualism which borders on the reprehensible. Ye use quantity over quality when it comes to words - typing a lot without saying much. It's not all the time, but enough of it.

Actually, the onus is on the writer to make their content not only coherent, but precise and relevant if they wish their voice to have an impact. Ye've gone from stating that being a member here is akin to being inducted to a cult to (jokingly?) suggesting trigger warnings be placed on intellectual discourse to linking us to a White Rabbit video on Youtube... all within five posts on one page of one thread. Your education does not matter to me when participating in discourse on this medium - whereas your often disjointed, imprecise, inaccurate words do.

Education can certainly matter - I know there is at least one motorcycle mechanic who posts here, for instance, as well as a biochemist. It would behoove one to listen to their opinions in their given fields with some attention... but speaking about education and intellectualism in a vague way to justify why you sound like a pothead philosopher half the time does ye no credit.

:coffee:

Mole

Permabanned
See, I'd wondered why I had ye blocked when I came back on here when I really don't tend to do that. "Who is this?", I thought. Then I remembered why.

This. It smacks of a smug pseudo-intellectualism which borders on the reprehensible. Ye use quantity over quality when it comes to words - typing a lot without saying much. It's not all the time, but enough of it.

Actually, the onus is on the writer to make their content not only coherent, but precise and relevant if they wish their voice to have an impact. Ye've gone from stating that being a member here is akin to being inducted to a cult to (jokingly?) suggesting trigger warnings be placed on intellectual discourse to linking us to a White Rabbit video on Youtube... all within five posts on one page of one thread. Your education does not matter to me when participating in discourse on this medium - whereas your often disjointed, imprecise, inaccurate words do.

Education can certainly matter - I know there is at least one motorcycle mechanic who posts here, for instance, as well as a biochemist. It would behoove one to listen to their opinions in their given fields with some attention... but speaking about education and intellectualism in a vague way to justify why you sound like a pothead philosopher half the time does ye no credit.

:coffee:

It would be a good idea to stop insulting me and instead make a contribution. And if you keep on insulting me, it suggests you can't make contribution, and you come here to troll.

And you might remember insults are against the rules.

Lark

I've encountered cults, actual cults, offline, and maybe online, typology central is a far cry from a cult.

Mole

Permabanned
I've encountered cults, actual cults, offline, and maybe online, typology central is a far cry from a cult.

Our original name is MBTI Central, and MBTI is impervious to evidence and reason, in fact it uses exactly the same techniques as astrology to be plausible, and like all cults it preys on the weaknesses of its members.

It's true it is a time honoured cult well over seventy years old, and it really is plausible, it really does seem to be true. But in fact it is a time honoured part of the New Age, part of the Romantic Movement against the Western Enlightenment.

Today we have a loose coalition against the Western Enlightenment. Islam is the leading figure, closely followed by the Marxist Left, with the New Age and the Romantic Movement taking up the rear.

And it is interesting that members don't realise mbti and Islam have a similar social goal against the Western Enlightenment. And being narcissists, they don't care.

Lark

Our original name is MBTI Central, and MBTI is impervious to evidence and reason, in fact it uses exactly the same techniques as astrology to be plausible, and like all cults it preys on the weaknesses of its members.

It's true it is a time honoured cult well over seventy years old, and it really is plausible, it really does seem to be true. But in fact it is a time honoured part of the New Age, part of the Romantic Movement against the Western Enlightenment.

Today we have a loose coalition against the Western Enlightenment. Islam is the leading figure, closely followed by the Marxist Left, with the New Age and the Romantic Movement taking up the rear.

And it is interesting that members don't realise mbti and Islam have a similar social goal against the Western Enlightenment. And being narcissists, they don't care.

I think that's a gross over simplification and gross generalisation and reductive in extremis.

Whatever works for you I guess, I'd not be too satisfied with those easy (misleading) answers but like I say whatever works. Dont expect it to catch on.

Mole

Permabanned
I think that's a gross over simplification and gross generalisation and reductive in extremis.

Whatever works for you I guess, I'd not be too satisfied with those easy (misleading) answers but like I say whatever works. Dont expect it to catch on.

Popularity is not my aim.

Mole

Permabanned
Aye but I'm pretty sure that being mistaken isnt your aim.

And this is why I keep you on Lark, you are intrepid and invaluable in telling me when I am mistaken.

Mole

Permabanned
I guess we have to analyze ourselves.

It is very difficult to analyse ourselves, so for most us need help of an analysand, a psychoanalyst, to come to discover ourselves and to come to understand ourselves, and so better understand others.

Without outside help we flounder around in our unhappiness, making others unhappy also.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I like how you call someone out for insulting you and then call literally every member of this site a narcissist. I have a concept for you: projection.

If this site is so cult-like and threatening to civilization, why are you still here?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like how you call someone out for insulting you and then call literally every member of this site a narcissist. I have a concept for you: projection.

If this site is so cult-like and threatening to civilization, why are you still here?

I think this question was first asked of him in 2009.

The miracle is that each generation of forum joiners can rediscover Mole anew and catch the wonder for themselves. :spindance:

Mole

Permabanned
A Mole!

As you discover Mole for the first time, so do I through your eyes.

And looking at myself through your eyes I discover I was headhunted by the moderator, Geoff, from the site of the Gifted and Talented.

Happiness is having someone to blame, and good heavens most marry to have someone to blame, so I would like you to blame the moderator, Geoff, for the presence of Mole on Typology Central.

I am innocent, I am an innocent Mole, going about my business and enjoying life where I can. Check with my friends, the Water Rat, Badger, and Toad, they will tell you I am a meek and mild introvert, perhaps a little too dependent on Toad, certainly a bit shortsighted, and a bit intimated by the Weasels and the Stoats of the Wild Wood, but formidable when roused, uttering the age old war cry of generations of Moles, a Mole, a Mole, a Mole!

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As you discover Mole for the first time, so do I through your eyes.

And looking at myself through your eyes I discover I was headhunted by the moderator, Geoff, from the site of the Gifted and Talented.

Happiness is having someone to blame, and good heavens most marry to have someone to blame, so I would like you to blame the moderator, Geoff, for the presence of Mole on Typology Central.

I am innocent, I am an innocent Mole, going about my business and enjoying life where I can. Check with my friends, the Water Rat, Badger, and Toad, they will tell you I am a meek and mild introvert, perhaps a little too dependent on Toad, certainly a bit shortsighted, and a bit intimated by the Weasels and the Stoats of the Wild Wood, but formidable when roused, uttering the age old war cry of generations of Moles, a Mole, a Mole, a Mole!

Dude what are you even saying

Jaguar

Typology Central is a successful induction, a trance or hypnotic induction, with no way out.

gK8lJ.gif

I am an innocent Mole

I am an innocent Jaguar.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
there is no Geoff
there is only Mole