• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Left Brain and the Right Brain

Mole

Permabanned
The left brain processes language and likes to be on topic, while the right brain processes images and music and likes association and resonance.

The left brain is in the ascendant here as we insist upon being on topic, as though it were the most natural thing in the world, when it is special pleading.

And the left brain hates the right brain and is hyper logical. And being hyper logical is a psychological defence. For instance, paranoia is hyper logical. And paranoia is psychological preparation to attack.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Wasn't this debunked ?

The concept of Left vs Right brain is oversimplified, since coined in the 60ties. There's more recent evidence that both sides work together in highly coordinated ways.

Mole

Permabanned
Wasn't this debunked ?

The concept of Left vs Right brain is oversimplified, since coined in the 60ties. There's more recent evidence that both sides work together in highly coordinated ways.

We know for instance that language is processed mainly on one side of the brain.

And of course both sides are connected by the corpus callosum, and that the female brain has a wider connection than the male.

And the bicameral mind is of interest because it throws light on the origin of consciousness, and the origin of religion.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The left brain processes language and likes to be on topic, while the right brain processes images and music and likes association and resonance.

The left brain is in the ascendant here as we insist upon being on topic, as though it were the most natural thing in the world, when it is special pleading.

And the left brain hates the right brain and is hyper logical. And being hyper logical is a psychological defence. For instance, paranoia is hyper logical. And paranoia is psychological preparation to attack.

It's not paranoia if all the left-brain haters are out to get you.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think in healthy and balanced people both sides work together for best results in all in general as there are two hemispheres for a reason A healthy person will use both to some extent.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
was gonna say, aren't they specific areas rather than just left/right regions but someone beat me to it, so instead of shutting up i will post a dancing banana

:moonwalk:

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
was gonna say, aren't they specific areas rather than just left/right regions but someone beat me to it, so instead of shutting up i will post a dancing banana

:moonwalk:

You'd be surprised at how many problems a dancing banana can solve. *nods*
I don't use either side of my brain tho so yeah.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm mostly 'right-brained', but have some balance. I can write with either hand, although better with the right. However, I am left-legged. When I was a kid, I used to do all my gymnastics backwards from everyone else. I had to lead with the left and couldn't do it the regular way - counterclockwise cartwheels. :encore:

Mole

Permabanned
It's not paranoia if all the left-brain haters are out to get you.

The interesting problem is that the left and right hemispheres are mutually inhibitory, they have different ways of perceiving. In modern culture the left hemisphere is dominant, largely because of universal literacy, but in older, spoken cultures the right hemisphere is dominant.

And even more interesting, as we move from a literate culture to an electronic culture the right hemisphere is asserting dominance once again.

One of the reasons America is turbulent at the moment is that the literate culture of the Book and newspapers is running smack into the electronic culture of the TV and the smart phone, and the result is big waves.

Mole

Permabanned
I think in healthy and balanced people both sides work together for best results in all in general as there are two hemispheres for a reason A healthy person will use both to some extent.

Our brains evolved before consciousness, and one part spoke to the other part giving directions, and the other part carried it out, and it was all done unconsciously. And interestingly the voice was considered the voice of God.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What does it mean when you supposedly use both hemispheres in roughly equal proportion?

Seems I'm not predominantly any side.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
And even more interesting, as we move from a literate culture to an electronic culture the right hemisphere is asserting dominance once again.

Interesting indeed, but is this coming from your own relentless stream of intuition or is this verifiable / backed up by recent science ?

Mole

Permabanned
Interesting indeed, but is this coming from your own relentless stream of intuition or is this verifiable / backed up by recent science ?

You have heard of the Origin of Species, the Origin of Civilization, and even the Origin of the Universe, and perhaps even dinned at Milliways, well now we have the Origin of Consciousness if you will click on http://s-f-walker.org.uk/pubsebooks/pdfs/Julian_Jaynes_The_Origin_of_Consciousness.pdf

Not only does it throw light on consciousness, but also on religion, schizophrenia, poetry and music, hypnosis, prophecy, and possession.

Seem too good to be true? See for yourself.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Mole said:
And paranoia is psychological preparation to attack.

My idea of paranoia was that it's more of a psychological preparation to flee, although I could see it being either.

I would take it as being related to anxiety and the fight or flight response.

As for hyper logical, I am unsure there but it's possible - perhaps the mind breaks off connection with others out of fear whilst engaging in detached processes (Jungian typology interpretation).

Relating again to Typology, I had associated right brain cognition with perception and left brain cognition with judgement. So in that case, it would only say that paranoia relates to the judging faculties.

In myself, I had noticed a division between activity which is productive, and that which is creative, which I would assign the same distinction to (left vs right).

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Both left and right process language. Left is more involved with processing words and the detailed stuff and right is more involved with structuring sentences and other "big picture" stuff.

Mole

Permabanned
Both left and right process language. Left is more involved with processing words and the detailed stuff and right is more involved with structuring sentences and other "big picture" stuff.

The bicameral mind was unconscious, and we only became conscious with the breakdown of the bicameral mind.