• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I swear

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Take Billy Connolley for example
Scots are better at swearing than anyone else. It's practically an artform here.

Some of the most eloquent people I know use utterly filthy language to devastating effect. But I hate to see course language in print - I had to stop reading one of Stephen Fry's books because it made my hair curl in an unattractive manner, although I love his irreverence on QI, for example. That's a weird double standard I don't really understand.

I only swear in the company of people I know will be offended -like my mum - it's too irresistible to see the look on her face ;)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
But I had a question!

What happens when you come across a swear word(s) unexpectedly?
Err she un-subscribes...

Shame the filter has flaws. It's a valuable tool.

I love opinion threads....got tons of 'em!

I think there is a time and place for everything. Sex is a good place. In everyday situations I don't mind an occasional sprinkle here and there. Any more then that it's like reading someone who posts in caps all the time...just plain annoying.
My boss refuses to write in anything other than capitals. He wonders why you can set the numlock to start with the pc but not the capslock!

He even writes letters to customers entirely in capitals!!

I think the most annoying thing is when people think that they're some big, special rebel because they say the f-word a lot, and they consider it a huge victory for having offended someone. I don't understand that. I understand people feeling like they're expressing themselves, but I don't understand why they get a charge out of imposing their choice on people who don't care for swearing. That sort of behavior just seems a bit immature, to me.
Precisely. Well used it is a sign of decent mastery of a language. Poorly used it is a sign of poor mastery. All I'm saying is that use itself is indicative of neither.
Scots are better at swearing than anyone else. It's practically an artform here.
Oh not entirely true. Ask any broad scouser to say "f'in Thatcher" (obviously the full word, not the abbreviation). They spit it out like it's the worst insult ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh not entirely true. Ask any broad scouser to say "f'in Thatcher" (obviously the full word, not the abbreviation). They spit it out like it's the worst insult ever.

a scouser doesn't have to swear, to sound like they're swearing, much like a weegie - must be the Irish ancestry, they did invent swearing, after all.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
a scouser doesn't have to swear, to sound like they're swearing, much like a weegie - must be the Irish ancestry, they did invent swearing, after all.
The accents are what makes it sound proper though. Somehow it matches perfectly. It's much more pleasing to the ear than some whiny Londoner trying to trash mouth with the northerners.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The accents are what makes it sound proper though. Somehow it matches perfectly. It's much more pleasing to the ear than some whiny Londoner trying to trash mouth with the northerners.

anything is more pleasing to the ear than a whiny Londoner...