• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Internet Forums, 'Real Life', and Personality distortion

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP
Sorry if the below is full of spelling mistakes and such. I'm really tired, it's 04:53AM, but I had a pre-sleep thought which I felt like making a post about.

I often hear the phrase thrown about "You can not trust the Internet", more specifically "You can not trust what anybody says on the Internet", yet more specific "People create false personas through the Internet". Presumably, the assumption of the Internet being congested with false personas, leads people into distrusting the words of others emanating from the Internet; emanating through devices such as forums, message boards, blogs, personal websites etc...

Do the majority of people who use the Internet as a means to communicate with others create a false persona? Or do people use to it to realize their true personas, unbound by the everyday social rituals of engaging in conversation in 'real life', does this not lead to a freeing up of ones inhibitions, in which they feel more free to state their true opinions, to let loose their true nature? Do you feel MBTIc is loaded with false or true personas? Exaggerated personas? Less exaggerated personas?

If somebody acts out of turn, acts an idiot, if somebody is, say, what is often deemed a 'troll' on Internet forums; I often think people assume that the 'troll' has created a false persona, a persona to be an idiot, he/she has placed a mask over their true, everyday, less idiotic persona. But is the 'troll' persona, not the persons true persona, and their false persona the mask they place over themselves in real life? A mask worn to avoid the harsher repercussions of acting 'troll' like in the real world, repercussions that could include physical violence?

Do Internet forums create true or false people? Do some people become more true and some people more false? What makes one person choose to become more false and another to become more true, through the prism of the internet.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
There was a thread over at INTPc called "Deceptive Perception", about posting anonymously and how your unique style of writing will always permeate your facade.

I think it's true that There is nothing hidden that will not be revealed. You can't keep up an act, because after a while you will forget what the act was and your true colors will begin to show.

After a significant amount of internet time (given they are a regular poster), you get an idea of what the person is generally like. Sometimes you are mistaken by a first impression, and you grow to like someone you didn't like very much to begin with. And sometimes you don't want to believe that someone is truly how they portray themself, but after a while, you realise that sadly they are.

Just like IRL.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I think people who purposefully create a false persona on forums are the minority. Is that naive of me? I just think it is such a great oppurtunity to be able to speak your mind freely that it is unnessasary to create a false persona. I would think someone would be more inclined to do that in real life where you might be judged way more than you would here.

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
There was a thread over at INTPc called "Deceptive Perception", about posting anonymously and how your unique style of writing will always permeate your facade.

That's really true. I was part of an online writing/role-playing club as a teenager and we had about 15-20 members...it became sort of a game to introduce new characters without telling anybody, just to see if they could fool people into thinking they were a new member.

I got extremely good at picking out who was who, and people were amazed by it, but the writing style gives people away most of the time. I tried my hand at making a new persona by changing my writing style completely and it worked for a while, but eventually I'd slip back into my own patterns and give myself away.

Mole

Permabanned
Old Fashioned

In literature, authors have always used false personas called a nom de plume.

And on MBTI Central we are halfway between print media and the electronic media, so the old habits of nom de plume die hard.

But on www.seesmic.com there are no nom de plumes because seesmic has made the transition from print to electronic video.

So it is no longer possible to hide on seesmic.

So in the large cultural sphere, privacy is over.

But MBTI Central remains delightfully old fashioned.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
For me, most anxiety is lifted. I post how I feel at the time, and assume most others do so.

Mole

Permabanned
For me, most anxiety is lifted. I post how I feel at the time, and assume most others do so.

Yes, I post how I feel at the time.

It seems to release me and give me pleasure.

However I do think that most are not in touch with how they feel at the time. So essentially what they post is a psychological defence.

They clamber around like armadillos from thread to thread - their armour clanking.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
They clamber around like armadillos from thread to thread - their armour clanking.

Well this is quite like how I've been tonight. But this is the relevant way of being in accordance to how I feel.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think people who purposefully create a false persona on forums are the minority. Is that naive of me? I just think it is such a great oppurtunity to be able to speak your mind freely that it is unnessasary to create a false persona. I would think someone would be more inclined to do that in real life where you might be judged way more than you would here.

I agree with this fully. That said, I think everyone has a false persona online simply due to the restrictions of the medium. Even if you always tell the truth and remain true to your personality, someone who only knows you online only knows a portion of you. There's too much of a person's essence that is only revealed in their physical presence.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I see the distinction as arbitrary. People make false personas in RL too, they also deceive, mislead and fake.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I would make a distinction between a false name and a false persona. For example, for most people here there screen name is not the same as their real first name. However, just because a person uses a fasle name does not mean that their personality changes.

In literature, authors have always used false personas called a nom de plume.

And on MBTI Central we are halfway between print media and the electronic media, so the old habits of nom de plume die hard.

But on www.seesmic.com there are no nom de plumes because seesmic has made the transition from print to electronic video.

So it is no longer possible to hide on seesmic.

So in the large cultural sphere, privacy is over.

But MBTI Central remains delightfully old fashioned.

Sometimes on the internet I will talk more about some things I don't share as freely in real life, like spiritual beliefs, problems I have had in the past or unusual hobbies. That isn't really personality though. In real life I probably "fake" a lot of the F stuff, being more friendly and polite than is my normal tendancy. But then I do that on line too. And in real life I hide my mood swings from people as best I can, but then I do that on line too. Although I have actually told some of my on line groups that I was "hiding" my mood swings. More specifically, I was deliberately sparing them from my posts during my down swings.

I think on-line groups get much more of my "philospohical" side, simply because only a handful of people in real life our interested in hearing about it.

Ilah

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I think everyone has a persona to some degree. We can filter everything we say, so naturally it won't realistically represent how we behave in real life, or what we think in our own minds. Although Substitute has a great point that people do the same in real life, although I personally believe it's easier to see someone is being fake in real life.

With MBTI a lot of people seem to fill in their personality with MBTI (i.e. "cause I'm an ENFP" ect), which I think distorts things.

I think things like trolling really is just a persona to say stupid/funny/irritating things and is specifically not representative of the people doing it in real life.

I made a post in my blog about internet personas where I tried to give a very simple description of myself that was intended to destroy any persona I may seem to have. Of course, when conciously describing yourself you will probably distort it even more, but I'll try and dig it up here anyway...

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-blogs/4539-enter-36-chambers-7.html#post249581

There it is. One of the best posts I think I've made.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I will posit that people are even more like themselves on the internet. People are more open and will spill their guts online.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Sorry if the below is full of spelling mistakes and such. I'm really tired, it's 04:53AM, but I had a pre-sleep thought which I felt like making a post about.

I often hear the phrase thrown about "You can not trust the Internet", more specifically "You can not trust what anybody says on the Internet", yet more specific "People create false personas through the Internet". Presumably, the assumption of the Internet being congested with false personas, leads people into distrusting the words of others emanating from the Internet; emanating through devices such as forums, message boards, blogs, personal websites etc...

Do the majority of people who use the Internet as a means to communicate with others create a false persona? Or do people use to it to realize their true personas, unbound by the everyday social rituals of engaging in conversation in 'real life', does this not lead to a freeing up of ones inhibitions, in which they feel more free to state their true opinions, to let loose their true nature? Do you feel MBTIc is loaded with false or true personas? Exaggerated personas? Less exaggerated personas?

If somebody acts out of turn, acts an idiot, if somebody is, say, what is often deemed a 'troll' on Internet forums; I often think people assume that the 'troll' has created a false persona, a persona to be an idiot, he/she has placed a mask over their true, everyday, less idiotic persona. But is the 'troll' persona, not the persons true persona, and their false persona the mask they place over themselves in real life? A mask worn to avoid the harsher repercussions of acting 'troll' like in the real world, repercussions that could include physical violence?

Do Internet forums create true or false people? Do some people become more true and some people more false? What makes one person choose to become more false and another to become more true, through the prism of the internet.
Your questions seem more like psychology questions than MBTT questions.
A psychology forum might be able to help you better.

I tend to be trusting and not given to cynicism,
so I tend to think that most people are generally being themselves to the best of their ability.
However because we're using the written word,
our perceptions could often be mistaken without us knowing it.

I tend to think of trolls as immature people with no life.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, online I'm awesomelicious, and in person I'm awesometastic. The difference is subtle, but noticeable.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I think trolls is a pretty cool guy. eh raep teh internet and doesn't afraid of anything.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Sorry if the below is full of spelling mistakes and such. I'm really tired.

I wish I could use that excuse. I just seem to have a writing handicap. Anyone know of a "disabled smily" I can use?

Or do people use to it to realize their true personas, unbound by the everyday social rituals of engaging in conversation in 'real life', does this not lead to a freeing up of ones inhibitions, in which they feel more free to state their true opinions, to let loose their true nature? Do you feel MBTIc is loaded with false or true personas? Exaggerated personas? Less exaggerated personas?

I am a totally different person online--chat, email, forums, etc.

Sounds not unlike the insane drivers who tailgate in very heavy rain.

What makes a "true persona" true? I have several personas. The various people in and around my life would probably not recognize me in other contexts.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, fun coming here and seeing your OP, Members Only.

I understand!

I've thought about this before in RL in regard to motorcyclists. I have observed this kind of thing in motorcycle culture. Goes like this:

Oooooh, big, bad, swaggering leatherclad bikers. Stay away. Danger.

Nope, them are really good guys. Don't let the act fool you. They ride for Tots For Toys and do all kindsa good stuff. They've secretly got kind hearts.

No, they drink too much and beat their wives and roar around the streets.

Uh-uh. They are just misunderstood and wounded souls.

Layer upon layer exposed, deeper and deeper, "good" following "bad."

Who's zoomin' who?

As far as the net goes, what disregard said. . .