• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ok this is bothering me is it abnormal for adults to refer to others as

do normal adults have best friends and refer to them as such?

• yes

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • they do but don't call them best friends.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
their best friend and is it abnormal for adults to have best friends? does it make one empathetic? read my blog if you want the details i just need to know.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think it's quite common for adults to have a best friend and refer to them as such but I have no idea how that would have anything to do with being empathetic. Or not. Please stop talking/listening to your neighbor.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think it's quite common for adults to have a best friend and refer to them as such but I have no idea how that would have anything to do with being empathetic. Or not. Please stop talking/listening to your neighbor.

yeah i don't either so i thought maybe i was missing something.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
It seems normal enough to me.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

I don't do it though. I call my Bedt Friend. My outside husband.
( because my actual husband never leaves the house. So I am with my best friend and at out age people assume we're married.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

I don't do it though. I call my Bedt Friend. My outside husband.
( because my actual husband never leaves the house. So I am with my best friend and at out age people assume we're married.)

yeah i get really close to my best friends like one night i was cold and the three of us were in public and i just stuffed my arms inside one of their jackets while he was wearing it and people always ask if we're dating and it's like no. so best friends i have no boundaries with people that aren't i do i probably wouldn't do such a thing. but I was cold to be fair. and they can do the same to me, but if anyone else did i'd tell them to fuck off.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Normal adults do, but not normal make to much of a big deal about it.

It was interesting as my GF has a "best friend" from school. We see her maybe every 3-4 months and she lives 30-45 min away. I dont get how anyone can be a "best friend" that's never around yet lives 30-45 min away. Her reasoning all had to do with the "past". So it became well "she has a kid" and I am still like :shrug: it all sounded like excuses to hold onto the past with some mental classification. I hung out with my friend who has 2 kids even when I didn't have my son because I enjoyed spending time with her. We had fun.

It dumbfounds me sometimes how people classify others at times. It becomes like some mental thing to make warm fuzzies that don't really match reality.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Normal adults do, but not normal make to much of a big deal about it.

It was interesting as my GF has a "best friend" from school. We see her maybe every 3-4 months and she lives 30-45 min away. I dont get how anyone can be a "best friend" that's never around yet lives 30-45 min away. Her reasoning all had to do with the "past". So it became well "she has a kid" and I am still like :shrug: it all sounded like excuses to hold onto the past with some mental classification.

It dumbfounds me sometimes how people classify others at times. It becomes like some mental thing to make warm fuzzies that don't really match reality.

I don't live in the same town as them but we talk most every day and hang out non-stop pretty much when i'm there and when i return we pick up where we left off. I know not everyone has that but it does exist. now I have friends (not even sure if they're friends now) that were best friends in the past but we never talk so they're no longer best friends.

and you know something maybe those people who don't make a big a deal out of it are the abnormal ones!!! and i have a label for all my friends like neighbor,best friend, friend i know from this place, friend that i met here. ect.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a few people I consider "best friends" and yes, some I don't see much -- but I know I could call them in the middle of the night or ask them for help on a moment's notice, and they would be there for me in what way they could.

I think the deal with "best friend" is that it can be harder to pick one person among many with the same strength I did when young. What I find now is that I have a small assortment of friends who each serve a different purpose in my life, so I tend to see them valuable in their own way versus trying to rank them all.

One of the people I consider a "best friend" despite not talking much directly, though, is someone I have known for the last 30 years or so, is someone I worked with closely on shared projects, we would write each other in snail mail before the Internet really took off, and we have shared intimate secrets with each other.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have a few people I consider "best friends" and yes, some I don't see much -- but I know I could call them in the middle of the night or ask them for help on a moment's notice, and they would be there for me in what way they could.

I think the deal with "best friend" is that it can be harder to pick one person among many with the same strength I did when young. What I find now is that I have a small assortment of friends who each serve a different purpose in my life, so I tend to see them valuable in their own way versus trying to rank them all.

One of the people I consider a "best friend" despite not talking much directly, though, is someone I have known for the last 30 years or so, is someone I worked with closely on shared projects, we would write each other in snail mail before the Internet really took off, and we have shared intimate secrets with each other.

exactly and it has nothing to do with time or distance but more of an emotional connection i sort of a soul mate without the sex or romantic attraction

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
exactly and it has nothing to do with time or distance but more of an emotional connection i sort of a soul mate without the sex or romantic attraction

Yeah, exactly. This person I am thinking of is male, and he's married with his own kids; but I have no sexual attraction to him whatsoever, I just love him like he was my brother.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, exactly. This person I am thinking of is male, and he's married with his own kids; but I have no sexual attraction to him whatsoever, I just love him like he was my brother.

yeah one of my bestfriend's is a dude and he is def more like a brother, plus my mom's kind of adopted him as her third child. she's actually converting the garage (which is detatched into a 1 bed room and a 2 bed room apartment) and gonna offer to let him live there for free as long as he manages the 2 bedroom for air bnb. because with his current job he can't afford an apartment and is at his parents and lives in mississipi which a good 30 minute drive and works in downtown memphis. and my mom's place is about a 5-10 minute drive to his work depending on traffic.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
could what he does be considered gaslighting? because he oftens accuses me of being angry when i'm not or telling me that i'm lying when i'm not. and he'll say something hurtful to me then when i say something turn it around to make him look like the victim.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Imo "normal" adults doesent care if its wrong to have(or call someone) a best friend or not.

Taibreah

I don't find anything abnormal when adults have best friends and refer to them as such. I also have such a best friend that I haven't seen in a few years and I don't see them as any less of a best friend just because we haven't spoken or seen each other in person in a few years. I mean, we still do stay in contact via online.