• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cognitive Behavior Therapy with Buddhism 'mindfullness'

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
'Definitions of Cognitive Distortions'
1. All or Nothing Thinking : We think in all or nothing, black and white, right or wrong categories, rather than seeing things more objectively, calmly, rationally and from many angles of truth.

2. Overgeneralization : You pick out one fact, comment or event and make it the totality of your sum experience.

Example: You made a mistake on a test, and think you always or always will make mistakes.

3. Mental Filter : You pick out a single negative detail and dwell on it exclusively so that your vision of all reality becomes darkened, like the drop of ink that colors the entire beaker of water.

Ex. You get one bad compliment and it ruins your entire day.

4a. Mind Reading Jumping to Conclusions : You think you know what someone is thinking of you. Many times a negative label.

4b. Fortune Teller-Jumping to Conclusions : You anticipate that things will go bad for you.

5a. Magnification : You magnify your characteristics, attributes, and successes in your mind. The narcissism effect.

5b. Minimizing : You minimize other people's characteristics, virtues, successes, or attributes.

6. Disqualifying the Positive : You reject positive experiences by insisting they don't count for some reason or other.In this way you can maintain a negative belief that is contradicted by your every day experiences.

7. Emotional Reasoning: I feel it to be true so it must be true.

8. Should statements. Self explanatory. I should/ought/must/have to; they/he/she-ought/must/should/have to; the world or reality or life- should/ought/must/have to.

9a. Labeling: labeling, name calling, pejoratives of self or others

9b. Mislabeling-labeling: Involves describing an event with language that is highly colored and emotionally loaded.

10. Personalization: You blame yourself for something not in your control.

I.E. You feel responsible for another person's actions or feelings.

Or you blame yourself for how an event or experience turned out, that was not to your liking.

The above 10 distortions are taken from David D. Burns; Feeling Good (1980).

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"I have something that is analogous specifically with regard to experiencing negative feeling. Inside there is this issue yet unaddressed. It is likened with the warning light inside a car.This is alerting you that there's an inside problem with your engine or the unconscious. So a negative felt feeling is as a warning light to see inside of yourself. Do utilize reasoning, critical analysis and your insight. Detect a cancerous pain plus unaddressed inner conflict which you in nativity do use in a projective defense type mechanism.

You've been so triggered. Realize it in order to correcting your own problem, this versus a use of projection, thus adding to this world's angst." "Our emotions are guideposts to alert us we are off the way, path or road in self discovery. It's time for reassessment in our life's orientation. This is a real ultimate real truth. It might call the need of changing one's own belief. Then an individual has his or her decision to make a course change in one crossroad in life."

Lark

Erich Fromm wrote about the relationship between zen buddhism and psychoanalysis and that was interesting, CBT is much closer to stoicism.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
'A tool kit for detecting our subconscious and detecting (Cognitive) Thought fallacies' 'Mindfulness' is absolutely in same realm. A 'Here and Now' approach is what psychologists and social workers do utilize.

The 'Mindfulness' (Of the Buddhists) can be a parallel to the West's usage of being aware of our subconscious thinking, detect our cognitive (Thought) fallacies, and to replacing the fallacy (Stemming from the belief system + Defense mechanism + Fears) we have with a more reason orientated thought approach. ('Mindfulness' 'Self aware' are as well quite a bit synonymous in an orientation.

Yet we as a culture aren't aware of the terms. Further I am in an outrage (Of the ignorance of this fact) for children, our own kids just don't become taught these tool box for Happiness and a mental aware state and mind view. I am quite disturbed of a fact that we have not a clear conception of these (CBT, and REBT) tool kit of deciphering our thought discrepancies we possess. It is quite disturbing to one's sense of order upon training by firstly begin a log and catch these fleeting thoughts.

Then watch in amazement (+ HORROR) when we truly begin discovering just the multitude of erroneous thought processing that goes daily and with no notice of the populace."

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Hello Lark I like Erich Fromm. I've read numerous books, he's a good writer. As for psychoanalysis stemming via Freud there's too much projection and opinion without scientific validity. I concur CBT and Stoicism are a good parallel.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Cognitive: What is the cognitive thought process (either Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy)? How can it be as mindfullness or self aware? Distortion: What is a distortion? Where do they originate? Are they perhaps linked to the blindness of humanity?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"Psychology field Cognitive Behavior and Rational Emotive Behavior discipline share a lot and parallel the Buddhist philosophy. Negative feelings have some distortion in thought plus fears. Learn to identify 10 main cognitive error in thoughts and replacing reason orientation help freeing self from emotional discomfort. It requires discipline and to become learned by education. The people lacking the knowledge, "Project, are filled by cognitive fallacy, susceptibility with complaint, blame and labeling another being. It's blind spot in human conscious plus being susceptible by illusion. Unknown by persons who cause chaos upon the planet." LightSun

Lark

Hello Lark I like Erich Fromm. I've read numerous books, he's a good writer. As for psychoanalysis stemming via Freud there's too much projection and opinion without scientific validity. I concur CBT and Stoicism are a good parallel.

I'm no inclined to agree with you about Freud, I've got a pretty different understanding of it from the sound of things, for instance you know that projection is one of Freud's ideas?

Fromm criticised Freud but he was much more balanced and gave him a lot of credit too.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
CBT seems to be a very effective tool. I enjoyed going to CBT. It was a great catalyst for me to reconsider many ideas and thoughts that were limiting and blocking me. I only wish I would have gone when I was younger.....

Mole

Permabanned
Propagandists for Buddhism religiously avoid mentioning that Buddhism is raping, torturing, murdering, and driving out, their fellow citizens of Myanmar, formerly Burma, as we read this.

To continue believing in their religion, believers must shut their eyes to the crimes of their religion.

And mbti is no exception. To continue to believe in mbti we must shut our eyes to the crimes of our guru, Carl Jung. And we must resolutely shut our eyes to the fact that mbti is a fake personality test.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Lark wrote, "...instance you know that projection is one of Freud's ideas?"

Hello, yes I am aware with Freud and his projection. Lark I can read any school of thought in psychology and detect the projections of the writer. Freud had issue with Oedipus complex and Electra complex. I find Jung more to personal like with all his deep insight. Still Freud was the beginning but his psychoanalysis I am not enamored.

Mole

Permabanned

Hello, yes I am aware with Freud and his projection. Lark I can read any school of thought in psychology and detect the projections of the writer. Freud had issue with Oedipus complex and Electra complex. I find Jung more to personal like with all his deep insight. Still Freud was the beginning but his psychoanalysis I am not enamored.

C'mon, Dr Sigmund Freud, father of Psychoanalysis, had intellectual, moral, and emotional integrity, by contrast his failed pupil, Carl Jung, had no integrity whatsoever, and he should have been brought before the War Crimes Tribunal at Nuremberg.

And it is very telling that mbti is based on the work of an alleged war criminal.

It is interesting where Dr Freud failed. And he had a major failure. Dr Freud discovered the prevalence of child sexual abuse, he tried to make this public, but he met such virulent opposition, Dr Freud tragically changed his mind, and called childhood sexual abuse a childhood fantasy. Of course Dr Freud was factually and morally wrong, but he would have had to wait for the Irish Judicial Enquiry into Child Abuse, and the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse, for the facts to be publicly established.

Dr Freud was right before his time, and tragically and perhaps inevitably gave into social pressure. However Carl Jung and his cohorts got their revenge and drove Dr Freud out of his home and murdered his extended family.

Litsnob

Propagandists for Buddhism religiously avoid mentioning that Buddhism is raping, torturing, murdering, and driving out, their fellow citizens of Myanmar, formerly Burma, as we read this.

To continue believing in their religion, believers must shut their eyes to the crimes of their religion.

And mbti is no exception. To continue to believe in mbti we must shut our eyes to the crimes of our guru, Carl Jung. And we must resolutely shut our eyes to the fact that mbti is a fake personality test.

Following religious gurus is a little different from playing with psychology tests in order to better understand yourself.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
48.works well as long as you end up being wrong cuz you end up even happier and more grateful. at least that's how it works for me.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see the parallels to mindfulness and CBT in a purely surface way. Past the surface, there isn't a whole lot of connectivity as Buddhist "mindfulness" (don't they prefer another term?) has correlating tenets that seek to manage sensory distractions as a purpose to enlightenment and therefore, avoid needless rebirth.

I have cursory knowledge of Buddhist principles, so I could be very off base.

But CBT can and does bring awareness to thoughts. From myself and family members who have undergone it, I think it is an extremely helpful tool or first step in therapy.

I think it's easy to outgrow, (as once you learn it, you should be moving on, progressing). It seeks to teach you to be aware of and separate thoughts, in order to analyse them rationally. So, [MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION] mentioning stoicism seems more on point, to me.

I do suggest following up CBT with other forms of therapy to further build skills in how to synthesize those thoughts and emotions, once aware of them, as CBT, by nature, doesn't place focus there.

Lark

I can see the parallels to mindfulness and CBT in a purely surface way. Past the surface, there isn't a whole lot of connectivity as Buddhist "mindfulness" (don't they prefer another term?) has correlating tenets that seek to manage sensory distractions as a purpose to enlightenment and therefore, avoid needless rebirth.

I have cursory knowledge of Buddhist principles, so I could be very off base.

But CBT can and does bring awareness to thoughts. From myself and family members who have undergone it, I think it is an extremely helpful tool or first step in therapy.

I think it's easy to outgrow, (as once you learn it, you should be moving on, progressing). It seeks to teach you to be aware of and separate thoughts, in order to analyse them rationally. So, [MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION] mentioning stoicism seems more on point, to me.

I do suggest following up CBT with other forms of therapy to further build skills in how to synthesize those thoughts and emotions, once aware of them, as CBT, by nature, doesn't place focus there.

CBT supposes that the thought proceeds the feeling, so change your thinking and your feelings will follow, at least that's my understanding and its similar to Satre's ideas about psychology too, I think that buddhism is closer to psycho-analysis' ideas because psycho-analysis suggests that affect and emotion proceed reason and that mankind is more rationalising than reasoning really.

I would suppose that maybe the role of awareness in all three schools of thought makes them similar but I'd say there's still big differences, then again I'm maybe being tribalist, I should study CBT more but it always seems to me like a fairly rudimentary idea, I can see why there was a therapist in Sopranos who said to refer Tony to a behaviourist when it proved that insight was insufficient to change, it seems like more of a deal for addressing habits or conditioned responses.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
CBT supposes that the thought proceeds the feeling, so change your thinking and your feelings will follow, at least that's my understanding and its similar to Satre's ideas about psychology too, I think that buddhism is closer to psycho-analysis' ideas because psycho-analysis suggests that affect and emotion proceed reason and that mankind is more rationalising than reasoning really

I enjoyed reading this detailed distinction.

I would suppose that maybe the role of awareness in all three schools of thought makes them similar but I'd say there's still big differences, then again I'm maybe being tribalist, I should study CBT more but it always seems to me like a fairly rudimentary idea, I can see why there was a therapist in Sopranos who said to refer Tony to a behaviourist when it proved that insight was insufficient to change, it seems like more of a deal for addressing habits or conditioned responses.

To share a personal anecdote, I went to CBT prior to accepting that I needed medication for my bipolar. I went with an express interest in curtailing racing thoughts (a symptom of bipolar). While CBT did assist me in slowing (specifically) the emotional reaction that I had to those racing thoughts, it did not diminish them and eventually my bipolar worsened and medication was necessary.

I have a family member who had massive anxiety, causing panic attacks and he went for about a year. CBT helped him tremendously and he no longer suffers from panic attacks, as when one sets in - he stops, breathes, evaluates his thoughts and gains some control. Again, it helped him control his emotional reaction but doesn't quell the thoughts immediately. Over time, However, you can "change the record" so that the bothersome thoughts lessen gradually and are replaced by those that assist in changing behavior (ideally, anyway) and that takes some discipline AND coping skills not covered in CBT.

This is important because those that seek out CBT as viably therapeutic, often have poor coping skills and will eventually "hit a wall" and seek another form which can give them more assistance.

I see CBT as very helpful for anyone seeking to limit emotional responses that stem from thoughts that interfere with ones functionality. It does work! Outside of that, like I said before, it certainly has it's limits in a pure sense. As in the case with Tony S, he may very well not have desired much change and knowing the character has profound compartmentalization issues, CBT would be like child's play to him. ;)

Lark

I enjoyed reading this detailed distinction.

To share a personal anecdote, I went to CBT prior to accepting that I needed medication for my bipolar. I went with an express interest in curtailing racing thoughts (a symptom of bipolar). While CBT did assist me in slowing (specifically) the emotional reaction that I had to those racing thoughts, it did not diminish them and eventually my bipolar worsened and medication was necessary.

I have a family member who had massive anxiety, causing panic attacks and he went for about a year. CBT helped him tremendously and he no longer suffers from panic attacks, as when one sets in - he stops, breathes, evaluates his thoughts and gains some control. Again, it helped him control his emotional reaction but doesn't quell the thoughts immediately. Over time, However, you can "change the record" so that the bothersome thoughts lessen gradually and are replaced by those that assist in changing behavior (ideally, anyway) and that takes some discipline AND coping skills not covered in CBT.

This is important because those that seek out CBT as viably therapeutic, often have poor coping skills and will eventually "hit a wall" and seek another form which can give them more assistance.

I see CBT as very helpful for anyone seeking to limit emotional responses that stem from thoughts that interfere with ones functionality. It does work! Outside of that, like I said before, it certainly has it's limits in a pure sense. As in the case with Tony S, he may very well not have desired much change and knowing the character has profound compartmentalization issues, CBT would be like child's play to him. ;)

It can work surely, I've found in my own experience with CBT reading, findings, training and tools that I had used similar coping strategies for a long time but I couldnt have put a label on them or say that it had been a systematic thing.

I've not gone to therapy, its been recommended to me for anxiety or dealing with trauma issues in the past and by people who've benefited from it, I've known three therapists though and I was kind of disappointed that I may have had roughly equal or greater knowledge than them. What I have found can be beneficial are a lot of things which come with friendships, though that is a given for anyone, I remember reading one of Seligman's books on therapy in which he stated that he wished there were as many good friends as there appeared to be therapists or something to that effect.

All that said I dont have any underlying conditions, the anxiety I've experienced and trauma issues are not intrinsic or endogenous, they're situational. I know it would be ridiculous to try and control my diabetes with my thoughts alone, or even my behaviour, to be honest.

Lark

No, that wasnt what I meant, I meant that projection itself was a Freudian idea, that he had identified it, his daughter identified most of the other ego defences.