• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does a persons typing affect the way you treat them?.

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
Online, I don't treat anyone differently based on type. In person, I might communicate differently if I know someone's type, based on the person. I find myself communicating differently with ESTJs in particular, only because I have the tendency to be vague and ignore segues, which generally bugs an ESTJ. But I don't treat anybody differently based on type, really--I just might employ different conversational delivery if I know someone's type.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nah... Not really. I don't really believe in MBTI and enneagram... Just a fun little game when I am bored. I probably put much more stock into it like 8 years ago. Besides, most of the time, people cling to weird assumptions, especially in regards to type.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I try not to. I don't think I take MBTI/enneagram that seriously. In real life I usually can't guess people's types anyway.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
as long as they don't type like "Hai guise how r u iz gud"

then no.

seriously not usually as i usually don't look at the type they put and a lot of people put types other than themselves.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am curious if peoples typing's affect the way you approach them around the forum. Presume you have no prior knowledge of the person how does typing affect the way you treat them as a person. For instance I tend to be more gentle with certain types than others. Type 9 IxFxs will get a far diffrent treatment than say a ExTJ 8 from me.
I feel like part of the goal of personality typing is learning how to treat people differently - learning how to understand others and yourself better, so you can be a better human out in the world with other humans.

So yes, I do treat people of other types differently.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel like part of the goal of personality typing is learning how to treat people differently - learning how to understand others and yourself better, so you can be a better human out in the world with other humans.

So yes, I do treat people of other types differently.
Unless you are very certain of someone's type, you could easily be operating on incorrect assumptions. How do you guard against this?

How they communicate is much more determinant than how they ID. I'm almost willing to say that profile picture and username hold more weight when I'm talking to someone.

These two things are very telling along with the actual post content. My eyes are automatically drawn to the image of the avatar and then the profile name. Then I read the post and finally I add the type into the equation. Obviously it usually takes several samples of a persons thoughts to draw a conclusion. Seeing as I’m still very much an apprentice in the ways my assessment can still be incorrect.

Does a person’s type effect the way I interact with them? Definitely not. I have a sort of default setting for initial exchanges which adjusts accordingly with our interactions. A persons character (or what they allow to be perceived) effects the way I treat them.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Unless you are very certain of someone's type, you could easily be operating on incorrect assumptions. How do you guard against this?
I only do this if they’ve confirmed their type in conversation with me, or if it’s glaringly obvious.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
it does, look into socionics relationships

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
uh no, how/what the person writes is actually more something that makes me approach them differently not whatever type they have displayed.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am curious if peoples typing's affect the way you approach them around the forum. Presume you have no prior knowledge of the person how does typing affect the way you treat them as a person. For instance I tend to be more gentle with certain types than others. Type 9 IxFxs will get a far diffrent treatment than say a ExTJ 8 from me.

Of course. I'm going to act differently with an INFP vs an ENTJ

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't approach them differently based on their declared type, but sometimes based on their language use. I have a belief that people should take what they give out, so if someone is rude, I'll be more rude to them, if someone is extra careful about people's feelings I'll be extra careful with them. I do this whether they are INFP, ENTJ, or whatever. In my mind being hurtful or kind is its own principle and reflecting some of it back reveals a lot about a person. If they do take whatever they dish out, then I have a lot more respect for them because it is just a cultural or individual way of being. If they don't take what they dish out then I stop interacting because they have little or no credibility or moral consistency to me, and so I don't want to connect with them or think about them.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yes and no.

Patterns of behavior- reasons behind those patterns- generally point me towards a type for a person.

But the type- its not the end all be all to who a person is. And so its not the end all be all to how I communicate with thrm.

Sometimes some people of a type are healthier than others of that same type. Sometimes they are older/more mature. Somwtimes there are things going on with a person behind the scenes.

I treat people... well. I treat people- I try to treat people- with the respect they are due as an individual. I treat different people differently- because we just arent all the same- but I for the most part- try to keep a similar attitude with everyone. The attitude that- this person is different than me- sees the world diffferently. Im interested in how they see the world. Want to talk to them about it. Form a relationship with them perhaps. And that means. Understanding them. Understanding them as an individual and not a type

And listening to what they say to me- no matter how they choose to say it.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For me, it is hard to say.

I find that I am naturally interested in some types a bit more than others. I also find that certain types seem to seek me out more than others as well (for some reason only Fi dom males have ever sought me out in a romantic sense and most of the people I end up befriending tend to be F types for some strange reason- I do not have a preference between T and F friends, so this tends to puzzle me).

I still can be interested in pretty much anyone and wish them the best. I also will still respect them. Type does not make me lose respect. However, there are actions people have done that will completely turn me off. These are independent of type- sexual harassment, attempted or actual assault, treating the people I care about horribly, being abusive to anyone, disliking people for prejudiced reasons like racism, and claiming I am wrong about a topic I have clearly proven that I am more educated and competent in. These rarely come up, and can come from any type.

Though, I am significantly more likely to talk about certain things with people of different types. I do not even believe it is conscious, and I am not perfect at it, but I have noticed myself tailoring my presentation based on who is around. We all do it- you are not going to talk to your boss and best friend the same way. I find I tend to use this quality and combine it with my Ne-Fi to figure out how people could possibly be thinking or what they might like. Then I can alter my presentation to blend in with pretty much any social group. Because of my Fi, I do not do it to the point is is ingenuine (99% of the time). But this is one of my own ways of exploration and discovery, and I have gotten rather adapt at it. An skilled Fe user would undoubtedly be better at it, but I think my handle is good. I do not pretend to be someone else, but show a slightly different side to my personality and downplay other parts.

So, I imagine I would appear slightly different around different personality types, but not consciously. It is not just type that does it though. It is connected more to beliefs, interests, hobbies, and temperament, which can be different among each type even if there might be some correlation.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Absolutely. As a 9er, I am obliged to filter my thoughts and deliver them well packaged and personally attuned for the recipient. And I will not only use MBTI, but every single piece of personal information I have at my disposal to do so.

...It sounds pretty awesome. But more often than not, I actually remember fuck all and end up shooting in the dark anyway. :D