• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Political Detox

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't think it would which is why I don't do it. I kinda like seeing other people do things, though.

It's not for everyone but some activism might help you. I don't mean protesting, I just mean getting involved with groups with messages you support.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's not for everyone but some activism might help you. I don't mean protesting, I just mean getting involved with groups with messages you support.

How do you think it would help? You can PM me if you think that would be better.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
How do you think it would help? You can PM me if you think that would be better.

No no, it's not a private thing. I just mean there are many groups. Being around people that support the things you support, that are active in causes or movements you would want to be a part of, may be good for you. Talking helps too. Even if you never protested or volunteered, getting together is much better than feeling isolated and alone or stressed out.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No no, it's not a private thing. I just mean there are many groups. Being around people that support the things you support, that are active in causes or movements you would want to be a part of, may be good for you.

I don't know that I want to be a part of anything, though. It might seem like I'm being contrary, but I don't really want to expose myself in that way.

Talking helps too. Even if you never protested or volunteered, getting together is much better than feeling isolated and alone or stressed out.

I think I would still feel isolated. Everyone figures out these things too late, even as I anticipate them. And nobody wants to listen to someone who isn't part of the zeitgeist, who doesn't say things in the right way. "It's not what you say, it's how you say it."

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just got on my Facebook hoping to see some cat memes, and saw my mom's political commentary. Oh god no, make it stop.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The 50s and 60s are called the Consensus era in America for a reason. The actual platforms of JFK and Nixon were very similar. If anything JFK was further to the Right on many issues than Nixon. A very different era.

Back then, it wasn't uncommon for two people of different parties to intermingle and marry. My dad is a lifelong Democrat from a family of lifelong Democrats and my mother a Republican from a family of lifelong Republicans. Today, such things have become rare, both friendships and romantic relationships.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The 50s and 60s are called the Consensus era in America for a reason. The actual platforms of JFK and Nixon were very similar. If anything JFK was further to the Right on many issues than Nixon. A very different era.

Back then, it wasn't uncommon for two people of different parties to intermingle and marry. My dad is a lifelong Democrat from a family of lifelong Democrats and my mother a Republican from a family of lifelong Republicans. Today, such things have become rare, both friendships and romantic relationships.

Neither of your parents was an extremist, I guess, so it worked. It's nice you could grow up getting perspectives from each side.

My parents are both liberals. I attribute it to them being sheltered. My life experiences were pretty different from theirs, so that's what they get for it, a Libertarian...I used to read Thalassa's posts and think how proud my parents would be if I was saying those things.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Neither of your parents was an extremist, I guess, so it worked. It's nice you could grow up getting perspectives from each side.

My parents are both liberals. I attribute it to them being sheltered. My life experiences were pretty different from theirs, so that's what they get for it, a Libertarian...I used to read Thalassa's posts and think how proud my parents would be if I was saying those things.

My parents married in 1961. There really was not a great disagreement among most of the people in 1961 on almost any topic. Again, that is why it was called the consensus era.

peter pettishrooms

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Not sure if it's type-related, as I see that I'm one of the few NTs on forums that never developed an interest in politics to the point where I don't watch/read the news as regularly as I should. It sounds terrible for me to say this, but I think part of the reason why I was so oblivious to what goes on in the world was because I grew up in a financially privileged home where I didn't have to worry much about politics and how it affected my quality of living. Admittedly, I am one of those trust-fund kids that rely on mom and dad to pay off 100% of my college expenses. I'd like to get more into politics and explore more of my values, but it's absolutely draining, and everytime I turn the TV on these days, it's full of clowns that make me wonder if we're just getting punk'd. I can only handle these discussions in small to moderate doses, so I try to stay away from online political debates because I see them as pointless. Rather if I'm going to discuss current events and their impact, I'd just do it face to face with people to avoid being felt like I'm talking to a wall.