• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Just don't answer yourself"

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I talk to myself often. In my head, like I assume everyone else does, and sometimes aloud. Often I hear "it's okay to talk yourself, just don't answer yourself." The assumption being that when we answer ourselves we must be insane.

Why is this? I don't see having a dialogue with the self as a sign of mental illness. Often I find it's a very healthy way of gaining more perspective on something, of helping me to find an answer that was under my nose the entire time.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I talk to myself often. In my head, like I assume everyone else does, and sometimes aloud. Often I hear "it's okay to talk yourself, just don't answer yourself." The assumption being that when we answer ourselves we must be insane.

Why is this? I don't see having a dialogue with the self as a sign of mental illness. Often I find it's a very healthy way of gaining more perspective on something, of helping me to find an answer that was under my nose the entire time.

I know I do, and when I do, people look at me like I'm crazy.

Sometimes it's just helpful to get your thoughts out of the way by making it concrete -- either through speaking or writing. I find writing arduous, so I just choose the path of least resistance.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I talk to myself out loud... which is probably worse, but it helps me remember things a lot better...

I also answer myself :(

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I will answer myself sometimes it's needed and if that's crazy then they don't even know.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't. Y'all are crazy.

Just kidding, I do though too. :huh:

Starry

I don't know but I imagine it stems from a time when decisions were to be done as a group or left to a "more knowledgeable" authority figure? It hasn't been until more recent times that "thinking for yourself" was considered a good thing. I'm assuming those who did so were often seen as mad.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Vocalizing competing thoughts that might lead you to answer yourself is LEGIT yo. Its also good prep for old age.

Tangent: One of the prominent theories of consciousness was based on the idea that our brains evolved consciousness for this very reason. So that different parts of our brain could talk to one another. Among other reasons.

The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind ~ Jaynes

"At the heart of this classic, seminal book is Julian Jaynes's still-controversial thesis that human consciousness did not begin far back in animal evolution but instead is a learned process that came about only three thousand years ago and is still developing. The implications of this revolutionary scientific paradigm extend into virtually every aspect of our psychology, our history and culture, our religion -- and indeed our future. "

Bicameralism (psychology) - Wikipedia

Julian Jaynes Society | Exploring Consciousness and the Bicameral Mind Theory Since 1997

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought everyone did this. It's called consciousness. Having a conversation with yourself is what thinking is.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think it is crazy, as long as you are aware that it is you answering and not some other voice.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do it fairly often. Answer myself too. And I blame it on everyone else. For being shit conversationalists :D

But really, I just get so lost in my own mind at times, that saying it out loud grounds and draws my focus to my external environment and getting things done. Connected to executive function for me.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought everyone did this. It's called consciousness. Having a conversation with yourself is what thinking is.

anaximander said:
I assume everyone else does

I assumed everyone did, I just wondered why it persists that some people see it as a sign of weirdness or insanity.

I'm glad everyone here has said they do this because I do it myself all the time. Now I don't feel so insane anymore. Thanks everyone! :wink:

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Just don't answer yourself"

I do it all the time, even when others are around, I don't care if I get laughed at, which happens sometimes, they're chuckling and shaking their heads, but I leave the more crazy stuff just for myself, I don't want to give them a shock

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I answer myself all the time. My thoughts flow better in conversational format. I'm always talking to myself.

There's a scene in It's Always Sunny that comes to mind. Season 10, Episode 6 "The Gang Misses the Boat". A personal favorite of mine.

Dennis: "All right. There's that anger coming up again. I'm getting weird and arch. But that's the gang's fault. That-that's not me. I'm fine, see? I'm... I'm calm, man. I'm cool as a cucumber. It's all good. It's all good. Talking to myself, but that's just 'cause I, you know, I've got shit to say, you know?"

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I do this all the time. You should see me trying to decide between two competing potential purchases at stores. Or what about when you're walking around in public and you're having a conversation in your head and you either: move your mouth silently responding to something, or start smiling really big trying not to laugh at something funny you imagined.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I do this all the time. You should see me trying to decide between two competing potential purchases at stores. Or what about when you're walking around in public and you're having a conversation in your head and you either: move your mouth silently responding to something, or start smiling really big trying not to laugh at something funny you imagined.

Haha, definitely these.

I generally don't talk out loud around people, unless it's around friends and it's something they could possibly respond to. I get self conscious over appearing possibly crazy because I really do have a mental illness.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I do this all the time- all the time. Especially if I am trying to focus or figure something out. Or convince myself of something or berate myself. Heck I do it for everything, and I think its fairly helpful and cuz of that... not unhealthy. But I do this really often and yeah also answer myself. Mostly to focus- I also- when I am trying to focus- I like direct my arms out in front of myself to like... point forwards- or ground myself I suppose.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really?

Major dilemma!

If I don't answer myself, no one will...

I don't want to keep walking around with questions for days!

If I have to be crazy to do it, then that's what it takes. :yes:

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm pretty sure a lot more people than you'd think do this, b/c I don't think I've ever met anyone who could honestly tell me that they've never talked to themselves at some point in time. my brother does it regardless of whether other people are around or not if he's trying to concentrate on something or figure it out. I do it if there's something I can only get out of my system by saying it out loud (if that makes sense) but I don't feel like telling anyone in specific. also, if I'm reading something it helps me to not zone out as fast.