• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your favorite color and why?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Red, but lately been cheating on it with yellow. Green has been my side-color off and on for a while too. Green doesn't know about red or yellow. So shhh.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I used to really like blue. Just your standard blue, nothing fancy, nothing royal, just a solid blue color. I still like it a lot, but I I've been leaning towards black the last couple of years.

What I like about black is it has this comfort to me. I feel it's a blank canvas like white, but isn't glaring and harsh. It's how I tend to paint my internal emotional realm. It starts as black, but then color is added as I feel and discover other emotions. Black to me, is the context, it makes any other color radiant in its own unique way. If possible, I would shine a light through this canvas, with black being completely opaque, and any color smeared across, a different opacity depending on the thickness of paint. What you'd see is this vibrancy and dance of emotion.

What does this say about my outlook? Perhaps that I see darkness, penetrated by light filled with color. As literal and plain as that sounds, it's a mindset that I've come to after years of childhood awkwardness and feeling lost.

Superficially, I look great in black, so there's that :D

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ooh color! One of my favorite topics! :D

I generally prefer many colors altogether, but my preference overall tends to range within rich, bold colors like different shades of red, purple, magenta, and blues.

I like colors that are exaggerated in real life, ones that will make something pop to emphasize the intensity. I'm not really a fan of earth tones and pastels, as I think they are too dull on their own. I would say I am an aficionado of otherworldy outlooks, like surrealism and fantasy, something that is seen through a different lens and not one directed from reality. It brings a whole new perspective and one that keeps me engaged and fascinated, like a child lost in awe and wonder seeing the world for the first time.

And black because of my darker, youthful days to represent the tragic Pierrot that was wreaking havoc on my soul.

But on a serious note, I like contrast between extremes, like a dark, almost black color against a pastel shade (probably the only exception where I will solely allow a pastel shade be among my presence :tongue:). It brings a whole new dimension and provides depth. It reflects the deep, dark mysteries in contrast to the luminous, vivacity of life; the negative with the positive, the yin and yang, or like the comedy and tragedy masks. It gives balance and life. I personally think the best works of art integrate a scale of such dichotomies, as it gives that great amount of depth and complexity I'm looking for to stimulate my interest. This is one rule I try to incorporate in my own artwork because I believe it does make a tremendous difference in show quality. But of course, this is all my own opinion on the matter and I probably didn't make any sense whatsoever. :doh:

Thank you for this fantastic post! I was hoping I would receive more answers like this. I like that you prefer contrast between colors since I prefer light and shadow myself as it pertains to architecture and photography. You can have the most boring subject or space, and have the entire scene brilliant with shades and shapes. :happy2:

- - - Updated - - -

I think blended colors bring more subtlety in beauty. It's like a fine color.

Agreed :D

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Simple question, but perhaps there is something deeper to this.

Why do you like this particular color? What does it mean to you? Why do you associate with this color? Are you able to pinpoint why you have this perception of that color?

If you like more than one color, why is that? Is one color not capable of expanding over several ideals? Several perceptions?
My favorite color is application dependent.

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's obvious due to my presentation on this forum, but red's one of my high favorites.

I prefer a red closer to scarlet or wine than its default state.

10e4af88867f4f4f2f7651ebc402a52c.jpg

Next up is black.

1330810079-eb3c907bbfcd9bb3579267c22785c8c2.jpg

And finally, a shining gold to top the color scheme off.

ob_2cc4f7e7363fc372fab2f386d3539aab_gw1.jpg

In summary, these are my "power colors." It's my ideal combination of elegance, passion, forcefulness, success, and the dichotomy between minimalism and extravagance.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Red, deep purple and orange. Warm colours that excite my senses :yay:

Blue green and yellow calm me down.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I love red as it is the least dangerous color because it haas the longest wave length meaning that it isnt goona radaite you with anything unlike violet which is edging on the radioactive side of thing such as ultraviolet. If you have been sunburnt thats a radioactive burn there. :mellow:

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm seeing a trend amongst the INTJs :D

Radio Bob

Resident Alien
Deep purple. It is calming and intended to be majestic. To me it is that and more.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can't pick just one, but I like pastel colors (light blue and light purple favored). I like them because they're sexy.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Metallic Gold because it resonates value. It's the color of winners. It's a color that has a shine that you remember. It sets the standard.
Pistachio Green because it's the color of money. It can be a great compliment. It is also powerful, even if you don't initially realize. It's everywhere unless you aren't good enough to see it.
Khaki because its a pretty swag color. It's brown but not really??? Fire.

Eleanthe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I love all colors so much! I especially like tertiary colors, and I like to see the juxtaposition of warm and cool colors together. I like gradients and ombre color combinations.

My favorite color is brown. Brown is the color of the earth, rocks, mountains. I find plants and trees to be so beautiful, and where they are strongest is at the woody brown parts. It is a color I associate with strength. I love brown eyes and I love the softness of all the different shades of brown furry animals. It drives me crazy how much I want to touch all of the critters at the zoo and see what each shade feels like. When I see pairs of these animals, I cannot help but wonder how they mated and what brought them together. Humans and birds are alike. We put on a display to find a mate. In humans it is the female, in birds the male. It ranges from what I think of as a demure display, like a blackbird - the male is darker, glossier, to the peacock or bird of paradise - where it is taken to a ridiculous extreme. The peacock is the short shorts and tube top equivalent in the animal kingdom.

How do animals that look alike choose a mate? Does that rabbit want a mate that can thump his foot the loudest? Does the squirrel prefer a mate that is a good digger, or one that is good at hiding acorns? Is it personality? Or is it love at first sight? It is a color that makes me think. I feel the same about gray. I could probably write an essay about why every color is the most beautiful, but I think that gray and brown are colors that make me think the most, so they are my favorites.

Also,
any violet
rainy day gray
stormy ocean blue
inky black
fern green

Pastels have a time and place, but mostly need to stay out of my way.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bright or deep reds, dark purples, and minty blue-greens are some favorites. For some years, purple was my official favorite color, but I really gravitate towards red most. I do like pink a lot, but it's actually not a favorite like people who know me in person might assume (I happen to simply go for pink when red or purple aren't options). My favorite pink is such a hot pink it is nearly red anyway.

I think I liked red because it seems intense and vivid. I like many shades, from bright cherry to deep sangria (almost a purple-red or perhaps burgundy is the word). Eggplant purple seems rich and deep. The minty blue-green looks elegant and serene - it's almost a neutral to me. It's very versatile. It's not quite mint, robin's egg blue nor turquoise...

I suppose I do go through color phases, where I am particularly drawn to a color for some time. But these three tend to reoccur more often and I do think it is the versatility (able to combine it easily or change up its vibe) and they mood they convey to me.

I generally like vivid, deep or bright colors best. Not into muted tones.

I like the reds, purples and pinks in this painting:

I like the combo of pink, coral-pink and wine-red in this room (I'd die for the shimmery pink walls):

This is a touch blue, but I like it: