• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

names

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
personally I'd find it annoying if someone kept repeating my name every few sentences. I'm glad you know my name, and I know my own name. since I'm the only person you're talking to can we not say it every other word?

so I guess the two extreme types are the people who don't give a flying fuck about their name, and you can call them whatever you feel like that day as long as it isn't too offensive and those who are attached to their name, and those people you should probably try to get their name correct.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Technically your name could be pronouced many different ways depending on the language being spoken. I found this out about my name, which is hard to to mispronounce in English, a couple of years ago when someone sent me a Happy Birthday message in 5 different languages. It doesn't bother me.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: nobody could pronounce my name in Brazil because Hs aren't pronounced, there was no TH combo and Rs were pronounced as Hs :doh: I got called either "rather" by english students or "foreigner" by non-english students. It really didn't bother me much, as long as I knew when I was the one being refered to!

I don't like it when people repeat my name frequently in conversation though- it makes me feel like they're trying to make me like them or sell me something :doh: I didn't even know that it was a tip in how to win friends and influence people!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
:laugh: nobody could pronounce my name in Brazil because Hs aren't pronounced, there was no TH combo and Rs were pronounced as Hs :doh: I got called either "rather" by english students or "foreigner" by non-english students. It really didn't bother me much, as long as I knew when I was the one being refered to!

I don't like it when people repeat my name frequently in conversation though- it makes me feel like they're trying to make me like them or sell me something :doh: I didn't even know that it was a tip in how to win friends and influence people!
yes when people repeat my name, I'm always like what are you selling?

Also I find it more annoying when someone has been calling me the wrong thing and begins apologizing....dude....if I cared I would have corrected you.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yes when people repeat my name, I'm always like what are you selling?

Also I find it more annoying when someone has been calling me the wrong thing and begins apologizing....dude....if I cared I would have corrected you.

I tend NOT to correct people when they call me the wrong thing- deception is sometimes a joy :devil:

(people VERY frequently beleive my name is Hannah... *shrugs* whatever :rolli:)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I tend NOT to correct people when they call me the wrong thing- deception is sometimes a joy :devil:

(people VERY frequently beleive my name is Hannah... *shrugs* whatever :rolli:)
for me it's debbie, but mostly cuz I don't ennuciate, and it was more of a problem when I was younger. My grandpa, the last time I was visting, for some reason kept introducing me as his grand daughter debbie, so now at his country club, I'm know as debbie :laugh: I pretty much told someone who had been calling me the wrong name (well it wasn't wrong just not what I go by) that I'll respond to anything.

I'm like a dog in that aspect, especially if you're holding out food.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
lol people usually get lazy pronouncing my name. To many syllables for them. Most of my friends shorten it to manuel or Eman, some call me manny, my soccer friends and coaches call me Aimahn and some people get a kick out of it and really enunciate each syllable. My last name people consistently butcher and its only 5 letters and one of those racecar deals(can't and too lazy to figure out the word to describe that)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when someone has seen my name in writing a trillion times, and they still can't spell it right. I make a point of spelling people's names correctly, probably because mine has a different spelling. If I'm emailing you on a regular basis, signing my name, and you NEVER take the time to notice how it's spelled, it just seems thoughtless to me. I'm always more impressed by people who take the time to spell it right.

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I get upset when people mispronounce my name because it involves two of the most common names in the English language, and frankly I think they should be easy to pronounce after like...a thousand years or more of existence.

No, but seriously, what bothers me more is when people read the name "Elizabeth" and instantly decide to call me "Liz" without asking whether I go by it or not.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have a co-workers who spells my name wrong in e-mails she sends me. But our e-mail addresses at work are all first name.last name@company, so she has my name spelled correctly right there in the "to" portion of the e-mail.

Ilah

It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when someone has seen my name in writing a trillion times, and they still can't spell it right. I make a point of spelling people's names correctly, probably because mine has a different spelling. If I'm emailing you on a regular basis, signing my name, and you NEVER take the time to notice how it's spelled, it just seems thoughtless to me. I'm always more impressed by people who take the time to spell it right.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my cousin's daughter is named Isla (pronounced Ilah) and she's less then one and people always pronounce it Is-la she's going to have a fun time when she's older.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I have a co-workers who spells my name wrong in e-mails she sends me. But our e-mail addresses at work are all first name.last name@company, so she has my name spelled correctly right there in the "to" portion of the e-mail.

Ilah

Yeah, that's what kills me. It's RIGHT THERE, and surely, they've noticed that it's an unusual name. So you'd think they'd take the time to look up there in the To: line and get it right. It just seems lazy.

I've never tried it before, but it might be amusing to spell that person's name wrong back to them. Especially if they have a common name. Just start spelling "Lisa" "Leizza" or something.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
In real life I have a deliciously different name. I can never find it on name-meaning sites or in books. It used to bother me but now I like it.

<pouts> I want a delicious name..

If I ever have children though, I am giving them unique names. My name is so common you can swing a dead cat and hit someone with it, albeit I spell it different than the common way. But my children will have nice edible names.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Because that’s not my name, my name is pronounced ‘that way’.
I personally think names are words that identify you.
Too bad you can’t choose your name. :\
Anyway, we can define those words.
I mean we can give meaning to that word, our names.
And this is names without misalign it or over-rating it.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Because it can be and often is a sign of disrespect. And a name is an identifier...rather that than "it".....;)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If I got upset over people mispronouncing/misspelling my name, I would be upset almost daily. I correct it when it's necessary, like misspelling my name on a document or something that needs to be exact. Otherwise, I don't care, it's not a common last name and my first name is not spelled in the usual way. I blame my age of Aquarius parents for that part.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me the minute irritation was derived from the frequency and consistency with which mispronouciation occurs. It's something that's occurred all my life and got old after the first month of Kindergarten. I also believe mispronouciations served to fuel the tuanting nicknames in certain cases in which imagination was exceptionally sparse. Which is why I used to answer to my nickname at school, being that severing the first two letters of my name renders it bite sized and much more easily pronounceable.

Slight inconvenience aside, I do like my name despite the fact that it's: 1.)Misspelled(Not a derivative or alternate spelling as that would imply the mispelling to be purposeful instead of borne from ignorance of the language :dry:) 2.)More a word than a name.

I suppose the first only makes it even more uncommon and more or less made up.

Anyway, I do not fret over the mispronunciation thing anymore, it was more a youthful thing for me, it seems.

Senkrad

MBTI Type
FiTe
Enneagram
YwX
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My name is not very common where I live, I don't really care if people I don't know can't pronounce it.
The funny thing is that they usually get it right on their first try, then they get uncertain about it and try to complicate things.