• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Welcoming criticism with open arms?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think intjs are pretty good at taking criticism non personally from what I've observed. I expect that the knowledge that you could eviscerate someone if you felt like it is a kind of internal armour that allows the exterior stuff to be less of a deal. I think that because I'm not well armed internaly, I tend to screen a lot more externally.

On the other hand, I think that even if I feel emotional about criticism sometimes, I do still think about what is said after. I would rarely dismiss anything completely even if it is not verbally apparent to an onlooker.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Honestly I 100% welcome criticism, regardless of how I feel afterwards. Feedback is important to me. How else am I going to objectively gauge my skill? Besides, if there's one thing I love, it's being underestimated. Something about exceeding expectations and shattering misconceptions is exciting and I thrive off of that.

I'm pretty sure that comes from my enneatype more than my MBTI. I'm a 2 with a strong 3 wing, so my want for criticism and feedback is both an emotional necessity as well as a personal motivator. Being a very blatant 8 also plays a part, because I'm not afraid to state my mind or correct someone. I can tell the difference between an insult and constructive criticism. And with my head being 7, I can easily dismiss criticisms that are out of my control or unhelpful.

Above all else, I think it's maturity and confidence that determine how you take it. If you have difficulty taking criticism, ask follow up questions. Figure out the root of the problem. Ask for help. If they were willing to give you criticism, they should be willing to give you alternative solutions. Otherwise, it's just complaining which is unproductive, inefficient, and rude.

Jaguar

Credibility is a much bigger thing for me - if you are full of shit the majority of the time you open your mouth - I don't care what your tone or delivery sounds like.

That's number one for me.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have learned to welcome the benefits of criticism, but the process is invited (or endured) with trepidation, a fluctuating degree of acceptance depending on the authority of the issuer, and a dose of anxiety gratis the persistent "human condition" I suffer from. I'd be lying if I didn't qualify my ability to make the most of it as being completely conditional on my state of mind.

Overall it's served me very well (if the opinions of my intimates are trustworthy) and it has improved radically with age.

I am skeptical of anyone's claims at welcoming any and all "well-meaning" criticism with zero perturbation. We're all human. I've yet to meet a single person without any insecurities or vulnerabilities or ego that didn't trigger the instinct to defend against deconstruction.

The important thing is just to recognize the value of criticism and tame your own gut reaction to it through time and exposure.

Litsnob

That depends very much on how it is done, who is doing it and what is being criticised. If someone doesn't like my writing or my painting it's easy enough to accept that it's a matter of personal taste. If the criticism is detailed and was not solicited that's the other person's failing as an inconsiderate person with their own issues. Maybe they just get off on trying to insult or hurt people. Often I am able to see criticism as just a matter of differing opinions, though if the criticising person is in a position of more power over me it can be annoying. If it is someone I respect and trust then I will very seriously consider the criticism and sometimes come to agree with it. Then I may feel some anger at myself for having been sloppy.