• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Emotional Intelligence

Mole

Permabanned
The hallmark of emotional intelligence is restraint.

Yes, emotional restraint is the hallmark of emotional intelligence.

So when we fantasise about our desires and fears, and do not subject our fantasies to evidence and reason, we lack emotional intelligence.

Yes, the best restraint to our emotions, to our desires and fears, to our fantasies, is evidence and reason.

A perfect example of the lack of emotional intelligence is mbti, where we fantasise freely in company, without any restraint by evidence and reason.

Three thousand years ago the Ancient Greeks taught us to way to a happy and fulfilling life was moderation, and moderation is simply emotional restraint.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The hallmark of emotional intelligence is restraint.

Yes, emotional restraint is the hallmark of emotional intelligence.

So when we fantasise about our desires and fears, and do not subject our fantasies to evidence and reason, we lack emotional intelligence.

Yes, the best restraint to our emotions, to our desires and fears, to our fantasies, is evidence and reason.

A perfect example of the lack of emotional intelligence is mbti, where we fantasise freely in company, without any restraint by evidence and reason.
And I thought that was role playing games.

The underlined is right on the money, though.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
The MBTI does have evidence backing it up, however the way in which a person can just endlessly speculate about it without needing to check back with reality... can be akin to religious thinking.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Imho, emotional intelligence includes knowing when to dream, desire and fear freely and fully, and knowing when to apply restraint :shrug:

I look at it like writing vs editing. If you never dream, desire or fear fully, how can you truly know yourself, your limits and the possibilities available? How can you ever master those emotions and therefore truly possess emotional intelligence? Only after can you start to hone those emotions and make the most of them in each situation.

Mole

Permabanned
Imho, emotional intelligence includes knowing when to dream, desire and fear freely and fully, and knowing when to apply restraint.

Hey, you've got it.

Ya wanna be my friend? I would love a friend with emotional intelligence.

Mole

Permabanned
The MBTI does have evidence backing it up, however the way in which a person can just endlessly speculate about it without needing to check back with reality... can be akin to religious thinking.

Over 75 years mbti has produced no evidence, mbti is an evidence free zone, mbti is a zone of the imagination without any reality testing.

Carl Jung himself, the author of psychological types, writes that his book on which mbti is plagiarised, is based on no empirical evidence.

And the authors of mbti, Mrs Briggs and her daughter, Mrs Myers, had no qualifications whatsoever in psychometrics, and present absolutely no evidence at all for the reliability and validity of mbti.

Litsnob

mbti is just a classification system that allows some categories and labels which can help someone better understand themselves and others and be reminded that we do not all think, behave, understand or express ourselves in the same way. It's definitely not hard science, not an all-encompassing description of personality and I personally don't care. It has some uses for me and is in other ways quite irrelevant.

As for emotional intelligence, that too has been dismissed by some as pop-psychology and of little meaning. There is no measurement for it or agreed definition of it. How do you know that you are not just allowing your biases to suggest to you that one person's behaviour is emotionally superior to another? You may have a nice explanation for that and so might I ( in fact I do ) but what is the measurement tool? Where is the math? Who has done the repeated studies and trials to show that it exists and is measured in a certain way? I am inclined to think it's more about a culturally determined perspective on emotional maturity and that too is difficult to measure without bias.