• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Viewing Memory

Jellyfish1234

In that case, it's not even a memory, is it? Just a re-creation.

Yeah maybe haha. In which case maybe I don't have memories!

No but I do think it's a memory, it's just rather than a memory of what literally happened, I'll remember the visual parts I was interested in and they won't be an accurate representation of what happened, they'll just be a sort of placeholder so that I know what they're meant to represent, if that makes sense. So if my memory is about going to the beach, I'll imagine going to 'a' beach, and if I saw a dance group, I'll imagine what I imagine they looked like even though I have no idea what they looked like, but I know they were there so my brain fills it in for me.

There are one or two memories that I'd say are probably from my own eyes but again I don't think they're very accurate - I remember holding a baby but I don't remember what the baby looked like or how I held it, but in my mind I imagine myself holding a baby in a certain way as a placeholder for what really happened. And there's one memory I have when I'm really young where I eat a bogey when I'm sat on a stage in church but I'm pretty sure my church never had a stage so that confuses me haha

Jellyfish1234

(It's not always like that though, sometimes I do remember things like me sitting on the side of the bed talking to my mum, or me lying on a specific part of a beach that I can remember, but it's like I don't trust that these memories are accurate but I think these two in particular probably are)

(though they switch between first/third person and I feel like I fill a lot of things in that weren't there just to act as placeholders to make the memory make sense to me)

Jellyfish1234

So yes, I suppose in a way they're a re-creation, but it's not that I just make the memory up or consciously try to re-create it, it's just like a very general memory I suppose. Or just a re-creation. I don't know. Sorry for the triple post haha

(But if there's a reason that I'm playing the memory back, such as remembering a conversation, that would usually be the more accurate part, though even then it'd probably be paraphrased. But sometimes I'll remember the place I was sitting rather than what they told me, so it doesn't always work out like that. I promise I'll stop editing and posting here now because I think I'm just being confusing haha [MENTION=22178]magpie[/MENTION])

Jellyfish1234

If you've ever played the game Assassin's Creed, it's kind of like that in a way I suppose? Like how they go into people's memories to find certain items and the rest of the world around them is re-created and not always 100% accurate. The most interesting parts of the memory are accurate usually (though not always), like in the bogey situation I remember the bogey had a black spec on it and that I picked it up from the floor and ate it (but it's like I don't trust that this is actually what happened), but the rest is just re-created by my mind to give the memory a setting/context to make sense (the stage at the church which I don't think existed, in this example). But sometimes the things that are interesting/accurate in the memory aren't what I'd expect them to be, such as remembering which side of the room I sat on during a lecture but not being able to remember what the lecture was about. And in these memories they aren't from my eyes I don't think, they're just like camera snapshots of the visual stuff that I either remember or re-create, whatever is useful to me to make the memory make sense or fulfil its purpose. But sometimes these snapshots are taken from the position of my eyes but sometimes they're not. So I remember being on the beach talking to my mum - I see an image of us on blankets from behind us, and then I see the sea from my eyes (but the image of the sea is recreated and I don't remember if it was actually blue and sparkly or if it was dark and gloomy), and I see the hill next to us from outside my eyes.

Sorry, I know I promised not to post anymore but I felt like I needed to clear up my messy posts haha. Done for real now. Ban me from this thread if I carry on haha

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
a little bit of both. if it happened a long time ago, I see them in third person. if they happened maybe only a couple years ago, I see them in first person.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you've ever played the game Assassin's Creed, it's kind of like that in a way I suppose? Like how they go into people's memories to find certain items and the rest of the world around them is re-created and not always 100% accurate. The most interesting parts of the memory are accurate usually (though not always), like in the bogey situation I remember the bogey had a black spec on it and that I picked it up from the floor and ate it (but it's like I don't trust that this is actually what happened), but the rest is just re-created by my mind to give the memory a setting/context to make sense (the stage at the church which I don't think existed, in this example). But sometimes the things that are interesting/accurate in the memory aren't what I'd expect them to be, such as remembering which side of the room I sat on during a lecture but not being able to remember what the lecture was about. And in these memories they aren't from my eyes I don't think, they're just like camera snapshots of the visual stuff that I either remember or re-create, whatever is useful to me to make the memory make sense or fulfil its purpose. But sometimes these snapshots are taken from the position of my eyes but sometimes they're not. So I remember being on the beach talking to my mum - I see an image of us on blankets from behind us, and then I see the sea from my eyes (but the image of the sea is recreated and I don't remember if it was actually blue and sparkly or if it was dark and gloomy), and I see the hill next to us from outside my eyes.

Sorry, I know I promised not to post anymore but I felt like I needed to clear up my messy posts haha. Done for real now. Ban me from this thread if I carry on haha

Deliciously Ni/Se

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really? You're the same way?

Yes, I don't remember everything in detail. I only remember enough. The reference to the event and why it happened. Not, what happened in detail. The rest is my imagination, which can sometimes change things conveniently or inconveniently. Especially when I go back and missed a crucial detail in the beginning.

Jellyfish1234

Yes, I don't remember everything in detail. I only remember enough. The reference to the event and why it happened. Not, what happened in detail. The rest is my imagination, which can sometimes change things conveniently or inconveniently. Especially when I go back and missed a crucial detail in the beginning.

Yeah, same here. It's like I remember the general idea of what happened but it's just an outline and my brain subconsciously colours in the rest to make it make sense. Like going back to the beach situation, I see an image of me and my mum on the beach with blankets and I know this is quite a pivotal moment in both our lives because of what we discuss here, but it's like I can't physically look to see what we look like or what clothes we wear or what the blankets look like or what words we say, like there's a barrier - I can just remember the fact/general idea of sitting on blankets at the beach and talking about X subject and remember a few paraphrased things we said, and I remember the hill but the actual shape of the hill I'm not sure if it's real or if it's just my imagination colouring it in for me (but I'm pretty sure I remember the general image of the hill), and the rest of the beach I know isn't detailed in the same way as it is in real life and is just my imagination filling it in for me to set the scene. And sometimes if I recall a specific detail, like how I suddenly just remembered I was reading at the beach, suddenly I'm not just sat there looking at the sea, I'm reading, so like you it can change and is just my imagination making things to generate the memory. I didn't know it was linked to Ni/Se, interesting!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Outside myself, but without seeing myself.

When I remember things, I don't have a sense of my own physical form at all. It probably still counts as first person, but I don't feel grounded in anything.