• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stuttering...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How many of you have or have had stuttering problems?

What kinds of situations cause you to stutter?

How do you resolve them?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I have no advice, but since I was about 25 I've been a very occasional stutterer. It more amuses than irks me, but if it were regular I wouldn't like it.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
My daughter has this issue, usually when speaking to people she doesn't know very well or people who just don't handle her Asperger's very well. She doesn't do it so much around me, seems to express herself more fluently and easily, but she stutters like hell when my mom's around and used to with her teachers before I took her out of school.

I've read up on it and as far as I can tell, the cardinal rule for those who are being spoken to by the stuttering person is to NEVER correct them or finish their sentences, never draw attention to it in any way. The best way to help is just carry on as normal and pretend you don't notice. The stuttering is usually due to nerves, and the more you focus on it the more nervous they get.

So the advice for people who stutter seems to be to slow yourself down when you talk and let the other person wait for you to think of what you're gonna say, frame the words in your head and enunciate clearly, and if you can face it, warn the person that sometimes you stutter and ask them in advance not to correct you if you do.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't have a stutter but for some reason there was a point in time when I become interested in learning about it. There are a lot of people who stutter to varying degrees and there is a lot of information out there about it if you just look for it. I think people who have a stutter find it inspiring to read about celebrities (actors, athletes, news anchors etc) who once had the problem and overcame it. I have also seen a couple of people who stutter and just simply don't care what people think about it and carry on conversation like usual and that seems to work for them.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have a stutter but for some reason there was a point in time when I become interested in learning about it. There are a lot of people who stutter to varying degrees and there is a lot of information out there about it if you just look for it. I think people who have a stutter find it inspiring to read about celebrities (actors, athletes, news anchors etc) who once had the problem and overcame it. I have also seen a couple of people who stutter and just simply don't care what people think about it and carry on conversation like usual and that seems to work for them.

Well, I really didn't notice I had a stutter until I talked to this girl on the phone, who I first IMed with at a dating site. She said I had a stuttering problem and was turned off because I couldn't carry the conversation.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, I really didn't notice I had a stutter until I talked to this girl on the phone, who I first IMed with at a dating site. She said I had a stuttering problem and was turned off because I couldn't carry the conversation.

really? she said that? sounds a bit odd to me... I mean who wouldn't be nervous for a conversation like that? Hell, I'd stutter in that situation too! And she blamed and rejected you for it? What a bitch! :steam:

If I were you I'd be turned off by her insensitivity and count my blessings...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
really? she said that? sounds a bit odd to me... I mean who wouldn't be nervous for a conversation like that? Hell, I'd stutter in that situation too! And she blamed and rejected you for it? What a bitch! :steam:

If I were you I'd be turned off by her insensitivity and count my blessings...

Well, she mentioned my stuttering problem in a polite fashion, but no one was carrying the conversation, and she was possibly turned off by that. I tried my best at coming up with topics to discuss, but I just couldn't. And this girl was the only one who responded to the message I sent her out of like the ten of whom I sent messages to stating we had things in common.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, she mentioned my stuttering problem in a polite fashion, but no one was carrying the conversation, and she was possibly turned off by that. I tried my best at coming up with topics to discuss, but I just couldn't.

Yeah it can be difficult... maybe choosing a less passive person next time would be a good idea... although I find that when I'm stuck for a topic, what never seems to fail to break the ice is to actually say that outright: "I feel a bit silly now cos I don't know what to say, I guess I'm a bit nervous..." and they'll almost invariably come back with "OMG me too!!" and you're away... possibly. At least for a minute or so...

yeah, if you're stuck for a topic, like I say, it's usually a winner to just confess your awkwardness.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
only now that I've reached my mid twenties I've picked up a slight stutter when excited or nervous about something... not bad, and endearing to some :dry: but when I actually pause a moment before speaking in those situations my speech is perfect! :)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My daughter has this issue, usually when speaking to people she doesn't know very well or people who just don't handle her Asperger's very well. She doesn't do it so much around me, seems to express herself more fluently and easily, but she stutters like hell when my mom's around and used to with her teachers before I took her out of school.

I've read up on it and as far as I can tell, the cardinal rule for those who are being spoken to by the stuttering person is to NEVER correct them or finish their sentences, never draw attention to it in any way. The best way to help is just carry on as normal and pretend you don't notice. The stuttering is usually due to nerves, and the more you focus on it the more nervous they get.

So the advice for people who stutter seems to be to slow yourself down when you talk and let the other person wait for you to think of what you're gonna say, frame the words in your head and enunciate clearly, and if you can face it, warn the person that sometimes you stutter and ask them in advance not to correct you if you do.

Thanks, mate. I'm gonna be a teacher in a few years when i've finished my studies, so I love to learn about the various problematic/awkward situations and how they can be handled (and how they shouldn't be).

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I sometimes stutter my "W's". Usually just at the beginning of a sentance, such as "what are we doing today" or "when is the movie" or whatever. I usually just start the sentance off differently and it's all good. As in "ok, so what are we doing today?", "Do you know what time the movie starts?", ect.

It's not so much stuttering, it's more that I can't string the syllable onto the enxt one, so it ends up sounding like "wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhen is the movie?" :laugh: Soemtimes it really is a "w w w when is the movie?" though.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
you know if you try to seperate the s and t sound in st words you'll start stuttering. I swear, I don't know what it is but try to see the s and t seperate in steak and you either say s-s-s-teak or s-t-t-t-teak or stick.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

Geez, sounds like a real bitch

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I have no advice, but since I was about 25 I've been a very occasional stutterer. It more amuses than irks me, but if it were regular I wouldn't like it.

Me too. Probably started about the same age, but I have not really thought that hard about it.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, she mentioned my stuttering problem in a polite fashion, but no one was carrying the conversation, and she was possibly turned off by that. I tried my best at coming up with topics to discuss, but I just couldn't. And this girl was the only one who responded to the message I sent her out of like the ten of whom I sent messages to stating we had things in common.

You're taking it way too seriously. People say the most random crap sometimes.

You can put it down to nerves and move on. She does not know you. She likely has her own issues especially if she would say something like that. Women do the craziest things sometimes when they are trying to push men away. It would have been much less cowardly to be upfront and say, "thanks, but I don't think it will workout."

So she didn't like you. What does that mean? Nothing. You don't like everyone, so why expect everyone to like you? 1 in 10 response rate sounds pretty good to me. It's a numbers game. Those women can only see and judge you by the way you express in your profile and on the phone. They cannot possibly know what you are like in reality, so it does not make any sense to beat yourself up over it.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Thanks, mate. I'm gonna be a teacher in a few years when i've finished my studies, so I love to learn about the various problematic/awkward situations and how they can be handled (and how they shouldn't be).

Cool. Well, there's another thing I read about it - often it's people who are used to being dismissed or people not listening to them (often in their family), so they feel like they've got to say what they have to say really quickly, before you walk away or stop listening. Making your body language look relaxed and like you've got all day to listen to them (even if you haven't lol) can help encourage them to slow down with confidence that you're still listening.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I highly highly recommend the movie Rocket Science for anyone with a stuttering "problem" or anyone looking to accept themselves for any other reason. (Who isn't.)