• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Man Wakes From Nightmare Relieved It Only Expression Of His Real-Life Problems

Mechnick

The Crow
700.jpg

Man Wakes From Nightmare Relieved It Only Expression Of His Real-Life Problems - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

NEW ORLEANS—Jolting awake in a panicked daze, local man Bill Rolinger reportedly breathed a sigh of relief early Monday morning after realizing that the nightmare he had just experienced was only a reflection of his real-life problems. “Whew! Thank God that was just a manifestation of the actual deep-seated issues that I refuse to address and that have now seeped deep into my subconscious,” said Rolinger, assuring himself that what had just transpired was nothing more than a slightly more vivid reiteration of the problems that plague him day in and day out. “I was really frightened there before I realized that everything happening was simply my sleeping mind showing itself powerless to unchain itself from my daytime fears and then translating those exact anxieties into the language of dreams. It was intense for sure, but it felt good to wake up and register the fact that it was nothing more than a passing interpretation of everything that’s chronically wrong with my life.” Rolinger reportedly then proceeded to go back to sleep, comforted in the knowledge that even if he had another nightmare, it would just be a version of the troubles that would hamper him at work tomorrow and likely for the rest of his life.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is that what happens?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It reminds me of when I went to counseling because I was depressed. It turned out that my life just sucked really bad and all I had to do was fix it. What a relief.

Lark

It reminds me of when I went to counseling because I was depressed. It turned out that my life just sucked really bad and all I had to do was fix it. What a relief.

Almost every time I thought I was going mad it turned out that someone was trying to drive me crazy.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So if he didn't have dreams, he wouldn't have any problems.

Flawless.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Yes. It happened to me yesterday morning. But, I'm relieved now when I know it will happens again, tomorow mornin,.after this happened to me early morning today.

Have you seen the movie "A Dangerous Method"? I recently did and am still thinking on it often.

In it, Sigmund Freud's approach is to 'help people realize who/what they are'.

Carl Jung wants to expand that by 'helping people see who they are and also what they might become'.

Freud says this is folly because it would only be replacing one delusion with another. That only by accepting that all is delusion will health be possible...

It was interesting to see the differences in approach - from some who influenced - what still belongs to psychological analysis today.

Mechnick

The Crow
Have you seen the movie "A Dangerous Method"? I recently did and am still thinking on it often.

In it, Sigmund Freud's approach is to 'help people realize who/what they are'.

Carl Jung wants to expand that by 'helping people see who they are and also what they might become'.

Freud says this is folly because it would only be replacing one delusion with another. That only by accepting that all is delusion will health be possible...

It was interesting to see the differences in approach - from some who influenced - what still belongs to psychological analysis today.

Yes, I watched the movie. Great movie. Michael Fassbender (Jung), Viggo Mortensen (Freud). You must accept themselves first (Freud), in order to become what you actually might be. There is no progress without adress-ing the issues.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
The onion used to be much funnier when it was still based out of New York instead of Chicago. For the last few years it's seemed only half as intelligent as it used to be, taking on a new decidedly leftist and cynical slant in most editorials.

The basic irony in this story is OK enough, but it's kind of hindered by the fact that dreams are often expressions of irrational fears and anxieties that the mind needs to purge or "vent" to retain sanity. Nightmares are much less a reflection of actual reality and more a reflection of an unhealthy paranoia that uses dreams to alleviate itself.

So really, it's not that funny. Unless the guy wakes from a dream where all his teeth are falling out only find all his teeth actually falling out.

Mole

Permabanned
Yes, I watched the movie. Great movie. Michael Fassbender (Jung), Viggo Mortensen (Freud). You must accept themselves first (Freud), in order to become what you actually might be. There is no progress without adress-ing the issues.

Yes, Carl Jung failed his psychoanalysis while training with Dr Sigmund Freud, because Jung refused to address the issue of his father fixation.

In other words, in training to be a psychoanalyst with Dr Freud, Carl Jung refused, point blank, to address his Oedipus Complex.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Yes, Carl Jung failed his psychoanalysis while training with Dr Sigmund Freud, because Jung refused to address the issue of his father fixation.

In other words, in training to be a psychoanalyst with Dr Freud, Carl Jung refused, point blank, to address his Oedipus Complex.

Maybe Freud was trying too much to be a father figure?

Mole

Permabanned
Maybe Freud was trying too much to be a father figure?

Quite the opposite dear Legion. In fact Freud, as a psychoanalyst, refused to be a father figure for Jung. Jung had a father fixation, and an unresolved Oedipus Complex, so he cast Freud as his father.

So Freud not only refused Jung's delusion to be his father, Freud, as is proper with a psychoanalyst in training therapy, started to encourage Jung to analyse his father fixation, but Jung had an unconscious visceral response, and fled from his training therapy.

And Jung fled from psychoanalysis into astrology. And rather than analysis, he started his own cult. And like many cult leaders, he subsequently went insane, as documented in his diary, called the Red Book.

And interestingly, we find Jung so fascinating because we ourselves have unresolved Oedipus and Electra Complexes, which we deny by ridiculing them. And tragically, by ridiculing them, we ridicule ourselves.

Last edited:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Quite the opposite dear Legion. In fact Freud, as a psychoanalyst, refused to be a father figure for Jung. Jung had a father fixation, and an unresolved Oedipus Complex, so he cast Freud as his father.

So Freud not only refused to Jung's delusion to be his father, Freud, as is proper with a psychoanalyst in training therapy, started to encourage Jung to analyse his father fixation, but Jung had an unconscious visceral response, and fled from his training therapy.

And Jung fled from psychoanalysis into astrology. And rather than analysis, he started his own cult. And like many cult leaders, he subsequently went insane, as documented in his diary, called the Red Book.

And interestingly, we find Jung so fascinating because we ourselves have unresolved Oedipus and Electra Complexes, which we deny by ridiculing them. And tragically, by ridiculing them, we ridicule ourselves.

In the Red Book, Jung recounts two dreams that he had.

From memory: one was that he was at the dinner table with his wife, and a female spirit of a woman flew in, I think as a bird, and began playing with his children and saying that such a thing could only be done at a certain time of the day, due to some person being busy with "the 12 dead".

The first one mentioned was of Jung walking through a surreal medieval kind of environment, and first he sees a puzzled man who had supposedly been dead for a long time and not realised, and then was a man, I think with a yellow cross on his back, who looked very serious and only came through the town at midday.

It would be best to read the full dreams as recounted in The Red Book, but do you think either of these dreams would relate to this father fixation?

(looking at them just now, they seem almost to be referring to the act of dreaming itself - the dream scene can only be done during a certain time of sleep, and the puzzled man could be the sleeping Jung)

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So if he didn't have dreams, he wouldn't have any problems.

Flawless.

I stopped remembering my dreams back when I was mid 20's. Do I win?!?!

I could be having dreams for all I know, but maybe my subconscious has repressed them so hard I'm not 'allowed' to recall them.

Mechnick

The Crow
I stopped remembering my dreams back when I was mid 20's. Do I win?!?!

So-so. Typical male brain is like that. Mine, also. But, when I started to integrate my Anima, the (dreams) appear. Overly-Rationalist brain don't allow them, intuition, and feeling zone does. So, you need a woman in your life.

I could be having dreams for all I know, but maybe my subconscious has repressed them so hard I'm not 'allowed' to recall them.

Maybe you fear them. When you become more tranquill (lets say, satisfying love relationship), it will change gradually.

Lark

The onion used to be much funnier when it was still based out of New York instead of Chicago. For the last few years it's seemed only half as intelligent as it used to be, taking on a new decidedly leftist and cynical slant in most editorials.

The basic irony in this story is OK enough, but it's kind of hindered by the fact that dreams are often expressions of irrational fears and anxieties that the mind needs to purge or "vent" to retain sanity. Nightmares are much less a reflection of actual reality and more a reflection of an unhealthy paranoia that uses dreams to alleviate itself.

So really, it's not that funny. Unless the guy wakes from a dream where all his teeth are falling out only find all his teeth actually falling out.

It is a bit more intellectual than funny but I think the basic premise is about dismissing theorising and abstract thinking in favour of Okham's razor.

I agree with you about dreams, though I'd also say that there is a lot of wish fufilment in dreams too, its one of the only places were you are totally free, unlike in your waking life, but that freedom can include a lot of unconscious or repressed memories, drives and desires, I think so anyway.

Lark

As I said to you before psycho-analysis is not an examination or test involving rote learning, therefore it is not possible to fail it in the manner you've repeatedly said took place.

Are you even aware that the oedipus complex is a cultural construct made explicable by reference to story and fable, itself another cultural construct?