• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

High T and emotions of other people.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Can person with the high T be good with emotions of other people?

Some people say that there is no way that this is true.

When I look at other people I am quite impersonal and my Fe suck.

But I find that pure logic works very well when you try to understand what other people feel. You don't have to give empathy/feeling to exactly understand what happened.

If person is unhappy it is because of A,B,C or D same works for happiness.
In the case you don't understand emotional reaction you probably don't have all the facts or person in faking(for some reason).

What I want to say is that all emotions are quite logical (at least to me) and it is very easy to understand them if you think in the cause--->reaction way.

But for getting person out of depression you will need some F and empathy.

Any opinions about this?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Empathy is more perceiving emotion than feeling others' emotion yourself.

I'm much better at understanding than actually changing someone's emotional state. I'm diplomatic and good at decelerating aggression, but depression is a tough nut to crack, especially for me. I can make people depressed...not that it's a very useful skill.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yeah, I don't think you're supposed to even try getting someone out of depression.

I think it's good for feelers to go all crazy around thinkers because there's not that emotion overload when the person who's supposed to give some comfort or input starts going crazy too, in sympathy of the original crazy one. I remain very unemotional when someone else becomes emotional, but not unmoved. Sympathy without all the drama.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I suppose a T who took an interest in emotions could learn to find the cause and effect of them. Of course, T/F actually hasn't got anything to do emotions as much as decision processes. So a T could be emotionally sensitive and empathetic, even if they express it very clumsily or not at all. F is more conducive to emotion, but it isn't emotion itself. The only thing is that Ts tend not to let their emotions influence their decision process nearly as directly as Fs let it influence theirs.

I've had three different INTx's pull me out of depression at various points in my life, so I think you actually just need empathy and a desire to help.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
Antisocial one said:
But I find that pure logic works very well when you try to understand what other people feel. You don't have to give empathy/feeling to exactly understand what happened.

If person is unhappy it is because of A,B,C or D same works for happiness.
In the case you don't understand emotional reaction you probably don't have all the facts or person in faking(for some reason).

What I want to say is that all emotions are quite logical (at least to me) and it is very easy to understand them if you think in the cause--->reaction way.

My thoughts exactly. I think it's a T+N combination thing.
I'm not exactly able to 'feel' what others are feeling, but instead of that, I can deduce what they 'should' be feeling. Human mind and emotions are something very, very interesting.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Empathy is more perceiving emotion than feeling others' emotion yourself.

I'm much better at understanding than actually changing someone's emotional state. I'm diplomatic and good at decelerating aggression, but depression is a tough nut to crack, especially for me. I can make people depressed...not that it's a very useful skill.

I agree with this. I'm also pretty good at diffusing tense situations and keeping cool in highly emotional situations (which was why I was chosen for prison chaplaincy training...), but if confronted with a crying woman I can easily become a blithering idiot.

I almost always know what people are feeling if I look at them for more than a few seconds... but that doesn't mean I empathize. I MIGHT sympathize, but not necessarily, but I definitely never empathize. I don't feel other people's emotions as my own and in fact, sometimes when I see people upset it actually rather than making ME upset, it makes me ANGRY if I know that the reasons they're upset are similar to the spoilt child who didn't get their way... and I've so far in my life been more accurate as to when this is the case than my Fe primary mother...

I dunno... just this week I had somebody tell me that out of all the wonderfully empathetic people they know, I was the most helpful to them in overcoming their fear of leaving a longterm abusive partner, because unlike the empaths I was more able to tell them the truth, no holds barred, to tell them what they needed to hear to change their life around rather than what they wanted to hear to make them feel better.

Sympathy can be as powerful a tool as empathy, but it has to be honed with experience and diplomacy, a Thinker can be just as good a counsellor... it's a matter of experience to learn the discernment as to when it's 'truth time' and when it's 'hug time'. Whilst the Fe primary might have the rocky road of learning how to deal with 'truth time', NT's maybe have just as much of a rocky road in learning how to do 'hug time'. Both are needed, though.

Not that I hug or anything, but you get the drift...

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
This is a common argument, but I think you're flipping empathy and sympathy, sub.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hm well, in light of those definitions, I don't really know what it is I do, but it's neither of them most of the time... I guess it's more like quite simply, understanding. I UNDERSTAND what they're feeling and why, though I don't really sympathize or empathize by those definitions... I wouldn't feel the same in their shoes and I don't feel their emotions with them in real time, vicariously, either.

However, this doesn't seem to have encumbered me at all when it comes to my line of work... and has in fact often been mentioned by others as my main strength...

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I know some "T"s (a vague way of putting it) that are better with empathy (my best friend who is an ENTP (Fe maybe)) then some people who are "F"s (an ENFP that I know with an underdeveloped Te causing a split between Ne and Fi). T and F dont necessarily affect how empathetic one might be. some tend to be more empathetic (my ENFJ friend (Fe dominant)) than others (my ISTJ friend (Fi is his last function)).