• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Religion negatively correlated with sense of humor

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
french fries and narcissism

lol, I couldn't resist to google "french fries and narcissism".

A great example of our narcissism was the renaming of french fries to ‘freedom fries’ in the congressional lunchroom. Instead of it being a principled choice it was a petty and vengeance driven action. And petty is how it came across to the world. If being petty, vengeful and small minded is our path to exceptionalism, all I can say is welcome to the club of nations and the family of man, because these are the patterns that have plagued the human race from the beginning of recorded time.
source : There’s A Dangerous Narcissism In The World — Art Of Change Blog

That's the beauty and madness of google isn't it ? You can google any two random words and you will find a connection.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now you mention it, of course I could because I can speak metaphorically, and a metaphor can connect anything to anything. And it is important to remember that metaphor created almost every aspect of language we speak. Sometimes the metaphoric nature of some words is hidden by use, and sometimes it is quite clear.
Also, fwiw, I do think you are correct that narcissism is a fundamental problem. Even professional psychologists discuss the issue that society is seeing an increase in personality disorders, so I do take the topic seriously along with you.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's just Fe..... xxFJs are the most likely to be religious and they have a lame sense of humor and are easily offended.

:devil:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no way -- they get so many jokes published in Reader's Digest's "Laughter the Best Medicine."

*I'm sure I offended people now...

Mole

Permabanned
It's just Fe..... xxFJs are the most likely to be religious and they have a lame sense of humor and are easily offended.:devil:

It is not the religious who lack a sense of humour, it is the sacred books, that as a byproduct, lack a sense of humour.

And they lack a sense of humour for a very good reason: these sacred books entrance us, they put us in a trance so we will accept uncritically, and without a sense of humour, the religious doctrines.

For instance, in the humourless Hindu trance we worship Ganesh, the God with the head of an elephant, and in the humourless Christian trance we worship the Trinity, the God with three heads.

If we kept our sense of humour, we would laugh at these preposterous Gods.

And to laugh at Allah, just like Charlie Hedbo, the cartoonists, brings muslims with assault rifles into your office to stifle our sense of humour with mass murder.

Lark

Well if athiest humour is Ricky Jervais then I'll pass that guy is a dickhead.

Mole

Permabanned
that guy is a dickhead.

Insults don't cut it. Insults are not funny, insults are just like religion, in fact religions love to insult other religions. Religions don't dare to laugh at other religions, because the laughter might be turned on them.

Here we know when a politician's career is at an end when we start to laugh at them, and I believe this is true in the longer term for religions.

How Islam hates anyone, particular cartoonists, laughing at it, and prefers mass murder to humour.

Good humoured laughter may well be our best defence against religion.

Lark

Insults don't cut it. Insults are not funny, insults are just like religion, in fact religions love to insult other religions. Religions don't dare to laugh at other religions, because the laughter might be turned on them.

Here we know when a politician's career is at an end when we start to laugh at them, and I believe this is true in the longer term for religions.

How Islam hates anyone, particular cartoonists, laughing at it, and prefers mass murder to humour.

You dont need a defence against religion Mole, so long as you've not figured that out you cant possibly begin to deal with alienation, anomie, self-estrangement the whole gumit of real pressing issues.

Anyway, you couldnt possibly consider Jervais funny, if you do then you're a stranger bird that I ever, ever took you for. Whether you identify as athiest or not.

Mole

Permabanned
You dont need a defence against religion Mole, so long as you've not figured that out you cant possibly begin to deal with alienation, anomie, self-estrangement the whole gumit of real pressing issues.

Anyway, you couldnt possibly consider Jervais funny, if you do then you're a stranger bird that I ever, ever took you for. Whether you identify as athiest or not.

The Office UK is original and funny largely due to Ricky Gervais.

Lark

The Office UK is original and funny largely due to Ricky Gervais.

And I thought it was shite for the same reason.

The US one was alright. Much more funny guys in it. Parks and Rec? Perfected the formula.

Rick and Morty? Better than them all.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm religious! Did you know that atheism is a non-prophet organization? :happy2:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

What I tend to find is that people who take themselves too seriously are negatively correlated with humor, so yes, sometimes religious people take themselves too seriously, but it depends on the religion and how the individual relates to it. I do know a lot of funny people who are religious. Actually, the Jewish culture has produced a great many comedians. What can actually produce the best humor is when people take the pain and seriousness of life and decide to just laugh at the absurdity of it all.

I once read an anecdote about a group of Buddhist monks who were traveling in the back of a truck on a bumpy road, and their heads kept bumping against the top, which hurt. They all began to laugh each time it happened because it was funny, but also because the laughter made it hurt less.

Mole

Permabanned
What I tend to find is that people who take themselves too seriously are negatively correlated with humor, so yes, sometimes religious people take themselves too seriously, but it depends on the religion and how the individual relates to it. I do know a lot of funny people who are religious. Actually, the Jewish culture has produced a great many comedians. What can actually produce the best humor is when people take the pain and seriousness of life and decide to just laugh at the absurdity of it all.

I once read an anecdote about a group of Buddhist monks who were traveling in the back of a truck on a bumpy road, and their heads kept bumping against the top, which hurt. They all began to laugh each time it happened because it was funny, but also because the laughter made it hurt less.

Yes, Buddhists, Christians, Hindus, and Muslims all individually have a sense of humour, rather it is their sacred books that lack a sense of humour. And considering most think their sacred books are the Word of God or from an enlightened Buddha, we can only conclude their God has no sense of humour.

And the sacred books lack a sense of humour for a reason: they seek to enchant us, to entrance us, so we will accept without critical thought their preposterous doctrines. Each religion regards the doctrines of the other religions as preposterous, but regard their own doctrine as the Truth.

Mole

Permabanned
And I thought it was shite for the same reason.

The US one was alright. Much more funny guys in it. Parks and Rec? Perfected the formula.

Rick and Morty? Better than them all.

We have public catholics in politics here, and they are impressive people and impressive politicians but they are invariably contrarians.

I think this is because most don't accept catholic doctrine so to get elected our public politicians can't talk about their deeply held beliefs and doctrines so all they are left with is opposing other people and destroying their organisations. For instance, B.A. Santamaria destroyed the Labor Party, and Tony Abbott is currently destroying the Liberal Party.