• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Have the personality typing systems had any negative impacts on your life?

Star Atlas

I think such systems are an interesting tool when used in the right, er, hands. To me they help illuminate some facets of myself, and others. However, it is dangerous to think that they are the end-all be-all deciding factors for what defines you, and that is typically where I have seen issues crop up.

Examples I have seen... threads wherein people discuss their ideal mate's type, and their strange efforts to then only date those of that particular type. Possibly ignoring fabulous chances all for the sake of four sketchy letters.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've become significantly more introspective as a result of my interest in the MBTI and the Enneagram. That introspection has caused me a lot of pain. Some of that pain has been productive and led to growth.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have mixed thoughts on it. When I was 18, I took it WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. Now, I have a much more nuanced understanding of it. But I am actually burnt out thinking of things in terms of functions.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well anything in large doses can have a negative impact. That being said, yeah.

When I first got into MBTI, I was determined to shove everyone I knew into these little boxes and figure out how each box really worked. I thought I could be like a pro at humans but turns out it just made me manipulative and edgy. As my understanding of MBTI improved, so did my usage of it. I slowly stopped using it as a tool to push others and started using it as a tool for self-improvement.

I also think that discussing personality systems, especially MBTI, sparks a form of aggression that I kinda know bothers others but I just can't help myself. Even at times of extreme passion, I am respectable to other parties, but when I talk about MBTI I get very stubborn and close-minded. Maybe it's a superiority thing? I just want to debate for hours on this shit.

So brushing off other people and overconfidence are two negative impacts, I guess?

Mole

Permabanned
A Mantra and MBTI

Well anything in large doses can have a negative impact. That being said, yeah.

When I first got into MBTI, I was determined to shove everyone I knew into these little boxes and figure out how each box really worked. I thought I could be like a pro at humans but turns out it just made me manipulative and edgy. As my understanding of MBTI improved, so did my usage of it. I slowly stopped using it as a tool to push others and started using it as a tool for self-improvement.

I also think that discussing personality systems, especially MBTI, sparks a form of aggression that I kinda know bothers others but I just can't help myself. Even at times of extreme passion, I am respectable to other parties, but when I talk about MBTI I get very stubborn and close-minded. Maybe it's a superiority thing? I just want to debate for hours on this shit.

So brushing off other people and overconfidence are two negative impacts, I guess?

By repeating the mbti jargon over and over we entrance ourselves. Our critical mind goes to sleep and our imaginative mind wakes up.

If we suffer from anxiety or depression entrancing ourselves relieves the emotional pain.

And such relief from the emotional pain of anxiety or depression can be addictive. And naturally we will defend our addiction against critique.

And repeating the jargon of mbti over and over is immensely enhanced by doing it with others.

So repeating the jargon of mbti in company is a form of mantra.

á´…eparted

passages
sarcasmsunshine

[MENTION=27952]sarcasmsunshine[/MENTION] don't listen to Mole on these matters. He has an obsessive hatred of MBTI and this forum as a whole, and only hangs around to be dissonant and insult others who value this place. His words be just noise and don't add anything of value when it comes to MBTI discussions.

Mole

Permabanned
[MENTION=27952]sarcasmsunshine[/MENTION] don't listen to Mole on these matters. He has an obsessive hatred of MBTI and this forum as a whole, and only hangs around to be dissonant and insult others who value this place. His words be just noise and don't add anything of value when it comes to MBTI discussions.

Quite right. The sensible thing to do is not to listen to Mole. But how can you do this when he insists on posting? The solution is very clear: simply put Mole on Ignore, it works.

On the other hand, if you love to hate Mole, you can listen to him and diss him afterwards, it gives a certain satisfaction of its own.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only when other people that don't know me and/or the system enough, try to type me and tell me about it. It gets annoying if I'm not asking for your input.

But that's basic socializing. So I suppose the social aspect can annoy me. I use typology primarily for self growth and understanding the people I favor.

á´…eparted

passages
Quite right. The sensible thing to do is not to listen to Mole. But how can you do this when he insists on posting? The solution is very clear: simply put Mole on Ignore, it works.

On the other hand, if you love to hate Mole, you can listen to him and diss him afterwards, it gives a certain satisfaction of its own.

Oh I quite know. Just informing the masses that might not have put two and two together. Think of it as a public service announcement.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
By repeating the mbti jargon over and over we entrance ourselves. Our critical mind goes to sleep and our imaginative mind wakes up.

If we suffer from anxiety or depression entrancing ourselves relieves the emotional pain.

And such relief from the emotional pain of anxiety or depression can be addictive. And naturally we will defend our addiction against critique.

And repeating the jargon of mbti over and over is immensely enhanced by doing it with others.

So repeating the jargon of mbti in company is a form of mantra.

I know you're trying to be cryptic and stuff, but yeah that's actually exactly how I treated MBTI. Thank god I have and will continue to develop emotional maturity.

I figured. Everytime they start a thread with an interesting premise and I genuinely want to talk about their opinions, I get coldly ignored in favor of insulting people. :boohoo: I'd love to hear why they dislike MBTI.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
There is a lot of people I suddenly lost interest in talking to after discovering their MBTI.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Germans wouldnt ever believe in bullshit like mbti. And if they do, they never talk about it to each others. I'ld rather be an American, but without Americans, they are not like Germans, they believe anything you sell them.

It never harmed me actually I was crazy before. it gave me a tool to express myself or maybe it was a false religion I followed.

I dont know

Are you from Germany/spent some time there?

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
FUCK YES.
I originally typed myself as an INFP, and as a result of facebook MBTI groups, started thinking of myself as an oversensitive, worthless crybaby. And that kinda sucked. INFP seemed to be the least liked type, and I got into this mental rut of "why do I have to be the type of person that no one likes when there are 15 other types I could have been?"

I also let my grades slip and avoided all responsibility because I thought I was a perceiver, and perceivers are supposed to be lazy and chaotic (according to stereotypes). I also developed "intuitive superiority," a mentality that caused me to avoid emotionally healthy people even more than I already did, because I thought that if someone wasn't an anime-loving geeky outcast, they were a sensor, and therefore shallow and uninspired.

Oh, and I decided to major in social work, since it seemed like the most fitting career for an idealist. I hated it and ended up switching my major like 3 times until I discovered criminal justice (which I freaking love).

Now I'm confident-ish that I am probably an ISFJ, but I know enough about types and functions to avoid stereotyping myself as uptight, boring, unimaginative, etc. This was not the case back then, and unfortunately, my main source of information at the time was very unreliable.

I wonder what I'd be like if I had never discovered MBTI.

Haha, I did something similar. In coming out of my, oh I don't know what you could call it, spiritual haze, where I didn't really know myself and what the heck I wanted to do, I stumbled upon this typing stuff and thought I was an INFP, lol. Didn't read up much on it though, just tried to get more into the humanities (which I do like) and could never completely get into it. But I think it did help me pay more attention to my internal state and thinking more about life, the human condition, taking in stuff from religion, literature, history, art, in small doses here and there really did help, thought I might be a writer but it turns out (according to others, I do have a bit of talent for that), but I used it as an excuse to play the victim and be like, the only jobs I can do are social work or become a writer. I also started down the social work path and quickly discovered it wasn't for me. Lol, oh those younger days. Yeah, I wonder that too, what would it have been like to never discover this stuff, haha.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think such systems are an interesting tool when used in the right, er, hands. To me they help illuminate some facets of myself, and others. However, it is dangerous to think that they are the end-all be-all deciding factors for what defines you, and that is typically where I have seen issues crop up.

Examples I have seen... threads wherein people discuss their ideal mate's type, and their strange efforts to then only date those of that particular type. Possibly ignoring fabulous chances all for the sake of four sketchy letters.

Yeah, I agree, I am sure that is a common thing. People are so desperate for answers and some form of a guide they cling to it like a life preserver. Awesome avatar, love the jelly fish pic. Thanks.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To the tune of what others have said, it's been good and bad.

I never went through the over-identification problems or let it affect my day-to-day life. I probably had some pretty dumb opinions until I got a better grip on the complexities of the theory (cognitive functions, etc.). In fact, I know I did - I remember having the "N is superior to S!" phase because I thought it meant the difference between someone who enjoyed discussing deep, juicy abstractions and someone whose idea of conversation meant reciting their grocery list. So that was pretty pathetic while it lasted.

In terms of big-picture negative drawbacks, there really haven't been any. I'd say my biggest issues have happened within the community itself, specifically online. I'm here because I find typology interesting and I believe it's a tool best used somewhat loosely. When people ardently stick to a "No, this is impossible, because the rules clearly state X, Y, and Z!" perspective, then I kind of check out because my logic isn't as black and white as that, and I find that approach to be too limiting.

In particular, I'm not a fan of the idea that Enneagram and MBTI must fit like a glove. They're two different systems with yes, likely a lot of coincidental overlap, but I believe in outliers even if they're hard to imagine at first.

When I realized that my Enneagram wasn't type 1 after all (and I updated it to the one I believe is definitely accurate), my INFJ tag became unthinkable and I wasted entirely too much time defending why I feel the way I (still) do to others. I've had so many back-and-forth exchanges wherein someone's like, "You sure you're a 7? You do come off as INFJ" and then when I describe why I'm a 7, it suddenly shifts to, "Oh, man, that's pretty textbook! So you can't be INFJ then." I'm fine with those thoughts if I'd get some kind of constructive feedback, maybe some reasoning that tops mine by teaching me something new, employing a line of logic that I haven't already considered - but every one of those exchanges has ended with the other person just sort of walking away from the subject. So I'd consider that a negative.

To an extent, I get it. It's an odd combo for sure, I just got tired of people telling me I'm wrong or that it's directly conflicting/impossible without really hearing me out. Or, you know, people straight up PMing me to say mocking things, like they can't decide if I'm joking, and if I'm not, whether I ought to be put in my place. It's been kind of an uphill battle to be taken seriously for community discourse, sometimes. I dunno. Seems like that defeats the purpose to me, and it's left a really bad taste in my mouth. It's one reason I never hang out here for very long.

(I'm not really attached to the INFJ label, it's just the closest MBTI type that fits my cognitive stacking, which I'm pretty sure just is what it is without me being "unhealthy." My solution has been to name my top functions instead of the four-letter combination, and I think that's better. Feels more accurate too, which I like.)

On the flip side, learning about the Enneagram and instinctual variants has been wildly helpful. All my life, I've felt like I've had some kind of existential fever. Reading about the sexual instinct (not the squishy, looking-for-a-soulmate descriptions - the unstoppable ache of the intensity junkie descriptions) was incredible, like finding acknowledgment that this fever exists, validation in feeling this way, and the ability to give it a name. That was huge. I might be an extreme, even for Sx-doms, so that felt enormously important.

Clegane

MBTI Type
ISTP
The most important thing is to not let typology influence your life. Some time ago when I read stuff like "80% of intelligence depends on being an intuitive" I was like "oh, come on... I may not be very creative but I ain't stupid..." and I was a little bit upset about it.

After that, I had a very difficult moment in which I couldn't do anything because of depression. In that moment I just thought "It's because I'm an INFP. An ISTJ can't be this pathetic". So i started reading things about INFP and tried to convince myself that I was an INFP to justify my laziness and fragility. I also saw a site where there were the average salaries of the types, and INFP was by far the lowest. I just felt like "I'm depressed, I can't do anything. It's because I'm an INFP and I will never achieve anything in my life. But there's nothing I can do, it's part of my personality".

Discovering my enneatype was sad too. I just had another justification for my lack of social skills and paranoia.

But typology also helped me through a difficult time. It has been a great pastime. I would say that it can influence your life only if you're unhealthy.

Mole

Permabanned
We are meaning creating animals and we prefer any meaning to no meaning. And mbti provides a popular psychological meaning that is in tune with New Age beliefs.

So mbti provides not only a popular meaning but a ritual that soothes anxiety and depression. And the popular ritual is the repeating over and over of the jargon of mbti. And the jargon gives mbti a hint of exclusivity and the necessary mystery for belief.