• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why people identify happiness with food?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Why people do that?

To me it looks like that more S and F you have you are more likely to think/feel this way. But I could be wrong.

For example: my mother asks me

She "Do you want ice cream"

Me: "No I don't"

She(confused):"Why don't you want to be happy?"

Me:About what you are talking about?

If you ask me this are probably the remains of tribal sociaty. We could even say society before 20. century.

In my life I have admited few times to some people that I don't create this link and every time my words created same kind of shock?

I am aware that by starting this thread I look like someone who is looking for attention.
So if someone thinks that. I can only say that I am really fuc*** up as the thread suggests.

So, why people link food and happines?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Depressives often abstain from eating, for me, personally, when I am depressed I sleep more and eat less.

Hmm, regarding your inquiry this is all I can come up with for now:

Food = energy = vitality = health ~ happiness?

I dunno.

Also, every anorexic chick I have ever known has been a miserably unhappy person.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Don't you know, Antisocial one? It's because of the neurotransmitters. Hunger is a pain, and eating delicious food is a pleasure. Yes, sometimes it is, shall we say...Taken too far.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ahh, just thought of something else.

HUNGER!!!

A hunger for life is usually indicative of a happily engaged human being.

Hunger represents desire and interest, and the absence of hunger represents either contentment (if one happens to be full, i.e. fulfilled), or apathy.

Those who suffer from terminal cancer often end up eventually losing their appetites, completely.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
Food can make you feel better temporarily. Sugar can give you an energy boost. Carbs can help make you feel relaxed. Chocolate can make you feel better.

There are a few studies out there, but there is not strong scientific proof of it. Mostly it is authors repeating what seems to be a common phenomenom amoung many people.

When I was depressed I ate more, which is also common among people with depression. Some people with depression eat more and some eat less. Lack of appertite is a symptom of depression, but using food to make yourself feel better is common as well.

When my mood is good or neutral, the "food makes me feel better" effect is less pronounced. Although if I am irritable due to being hungry, food will "cure" it.

Ilah

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Evolution?

In the present tense, instinct.

There isn't a causal chain for it really. It's a direct stimulation of the pleasure centre. Memories will then be made linking certain foods to that stimulation.

In the plains environment where we first evolved, fast food would have been very healthy.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Do get me wrong I eat normaly (3 main meals a day) it is just that I don't link that to any joy.

One of the main reasons why I have opened this thread is because I don't understand connection between food and depression.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Do get me wrong I eat normaly (3 main meals a day) it is just that I don't link that to any joy.

One of the main reasons why I have opened this thread is because I don't understand connection between food and depression.
It seems your emotions lack the ups and downs of the average man's across the board, and the wager I'd place on the hypothesis that this is entirely related to that would be somewhere in the league of ten thousand American dollars.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
In the plains environment where we first evolved, fast food would have been very healthy.

I don't agree with this. Fast food always gives alot of energy but it is not healthy.
The other thing is that people needed much more energy back then.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It seems your emotions lack the ups and downs of the average man's across the board, and the wager I'd place on the hypothesis that this is entirely related to that would be somewhere in the league of ten thousand American dollars.

What exactly do you mean by this?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
What exactly do you mean by this?

The day of the average person is filled with moments of both happiness and irritation. From what you've said about your psyche, this appears not to especially hold true in your case.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
Are you saying that you don't find eating food a pleasant experience, even if it something very tasty?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The day of the average person is filled with moments of both happiness and irritation. From what you've said about your psyche, this appears not to especially hold true in your case.

I just wanted to be sure that I have the right picture about your post.

I have come to this forum to research many thing about myself and others
so I probably come as braggart to some people.

As for the food, I don't like to be hungry and when I am hungry I eat.
I just don't understand the cult of food. For example my father talks about feeding rituals
and joy for the senses and to be honest I have no idea about what he is talking about.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Man cannot live (long) without food. The instinct to eat is innate and there is pleasure derived from doing so. Eating to make oneself happy comes from this innate pleasure.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Are you saying that you don't find eating food a pleasant experience, even if it something very tasty?

Should I ?

I simply don't see why there is so much phantasy about that and why people have so much problem in controling how much they eat.

People are usually suprised that I eat how much I need and then I leave everything that is too much for me.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I take it you've never gone hungry then. I mean, haven't you ever gone for a really long hike and at the end of it, you're healthy and your lungs are happily pumping air- and then you have to eat?

When I'm feeling really depressed I miss the feeling of wellbeing from food. I can eat a lot, I can eat a little- but the evolutionary satisfaction of eating doesn't come.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I take it you've never gone hungry then. I mean, haven't you ever gone for a really long hike and at the end of it, you're healthy and your lungs are happily pumping air- and then you have to eat?

Please read the thread. That is the only way you will realise what I am actually asking.

OK I will go to more direct aproach.

Why people enjoy so much in some kinds of food?

I have seen people how they are eating entire box of ice cream and they can't stop eating it. I am sorry but I don't see why that makes him/her so happy and it is my observation that it makes them happy.

My family all the time eats sweets(like ice cream and pudding) after lunch and I never do that with them. I simply don't see what is so enjoyable.

While I eat because I am hungry and I stop when I am not hungry any more.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sorry I'm a little obscure as usual. What I was getting at, is perhaps you've never felt the lack of wellbeing associated with a loss of appetite- and therefore can't recognize any "happiness" that eating does bring.