• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why We Think We Can See Through Others

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here is an idea to gauge the extent to which we do this individually:

I agree with everything under the spoiler, and want to add that I know something is amiss if I feel like I somehow need the thing to be true. It could be ego (and needing to feel like 'the person who can see through others', because it's part of one's identity and without it we aren't worth as much), or defensiveness (needing 'insight' into someone's 'bad character' as means to dismiss a hurtful attack, or something), or any other number of reasons. But if I feel any emotional attachment to the "insight" I think I'm seeing, then I instinctively know I'm on shaky ground.

When I humor 'insight' without feeling any emotional attachment to it being true, and it consistently still seems true, that's when I tend to trust it the most.