• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Other People's Kids

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm always annoyed when I wander into a store to shop for grocieries or something and there's other people's kids running around making noise and all around being disturbing (grabbing my leg, yelling, rolling about on the floor and etc.). My parents would NEVER have let me behave like this in public!

However, whenever I respond as I tend to:

*cue best Uncle Scar impression* Where are your parents?

I'm considered to be rude and stepping out of line!

Why is it considered rude for me to take over when parents are obviously neglecting thier duty to society? :huh:

heart

heart on fire
It always amazes me when people have come to my home with their children and expect that I'll be just fine with having my stuff torn apart and my cat harassed without them saying something to their children.

The worst time was when I took the time and expense to make a prime rib dinner and a relative's six-year old sat there spitting during the whole meal (spit was hitting me and my husband accross the table) and alternately spewing his food back on his plate and laughing. It was revolting and ruined the meal and I felt totally put upon to have to be the one to say "If you don't stop that, you'll need to leave my table."

A friend sat and watched her child mark my carpet with a crayon marker. I was in shock that she was saying nothing. Finally I said "Look at what he's doing!" She just smiled as if saying "wow isn't he a cutie!"

Another time a friend allowed her child to take my couch apart and drag the sofa cover all over the floor and sit there slobering all over the couch cushions, I came back in the room and saw this and she's just like watching it like it's totally okay.

There's other examples like this.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
:laugh: I'm very rarely bothered by kids. But I don't think you're rude for asking where their parents are.

In my case, if I leave my 9-year-old son alone in an area of a store, when I come back to meet up with him, he'll have usually found a way to combine two seemingly unrelated toys into some kind of super-weapon and attracted the attention of any and all girls in the surrounding area. :D

When he was younger, I had to watch him like a hawk, because he would just start taking things off shelves and doing all kinds of things with them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm always annoyed when I wander into a store to shop for groceries or something and there's other people's kids running around making noise and all around being disturbing (grabbing my leg, yelling, rolling about on the floor and etc.). My parents would NEVER have let me behave like this in public!

Why is it considered rude for me to take over when parents are obviously neglecting thier duty to society? :huh:

I don't think you are rude -- but some parents do take it pretty poorly. (Obviously if they're negligent enough to allow their kids to run around without respect for everyone else, they're probably also the sort to be offended if you insinuate they are "bad parents" by correcting their kids.)

We had a situation where a kid at church had been cutting up for a long time (he was obnoxious, disruptive, using foul language, bullying other kids, etc.) and the teachers were ineffective because the parents wouldnt' believe their child was behaving that way. Finally one of us took him to task for it because our kids were sick of it, and his parents showed up and ended up marching him to our house to apologize to our boys; but on their way out they insinuated they would have rather had us go to them [which of course wouldn't have worked, but whatever], and ever since then they've avoided us and do not talk to us.

(Which actually isn't a bad thing, but it's just rather crazy. If our children had been treating other people that way, we would have WANTED to know and would have changed what we were doing, to make it stop. They just were embarrassed that their pride had been hurt, and meanwhile their son's still acting like a jerk.)

Generally, if you can go through the parents, you should.
Then it seems almost more prudent to avoid the situation, to spare yourself some grief.
And if you discipline someone else's kid, expect to be looked at as the villain.

(And if I guess that, if I were in their shoes, and I didn't think my kids were being bad; and some parent publicly criticized my kids, I'd feel embarrassed and angry. So I guess I am saying, it's reasonable for you to expect a negative response.)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just don't get that! Why would a parent sit by and watch thier kid destroy things that belong to other people? :huh:

A 9 year old in the toy aisle is ok by me- I'm not wandering through that area, and if I were I would expect to find children there playing with things- it's when a child runs up and grabs me when I'm inspecting the olive oils that really annoys me.

I've had the parents of these little monsters tell me that "I shouldn't talk to thier children like that" when I asked where thier parents were or asked them politely to please leave me alone... I usually ask them to please watch thier children more carefully in the future. I've been called a bitch for this :shock: I'd say that THEY'RE the rude ones :steam: Sure I'm criticizing thier parenting ability- they DESERVE it if they let thier kids behave like that!

EDIT: if the parents are available I'll happily ask them- if the parents are NOT available (all too frequent) I'll address thier little monster

heart

heart on fire
When we first lived in our house, the neighbor's five-year old would visit the little boy on the other side of us, only problem was he crossed right up behind our back windows and would slow down and look inside the whole way! They also played in our yard.

When I went to his mother and asked that he use the crosswalk and also stop playing in our yard where my husband was collecting building materials to build a yardshed, she jut shrugged and told me that she was lucky when he obeyed her on *important* things and that it wasn't a priority for her!

The neighborhood children also decided since we weren't out in the yard during the day that our yard made a great football field. (We worked night-shift) So we'd have to go out there and ask them to not play in our yard that it was tearing up the seedlings we were trying to grow grass from and they would scowl and complain, called me a bitch at one point. One of them said "Where else are we supposed to play?" I suggested their own homes and I was told their parents forbade it!.

When I was a child, I never dared trespass into people's yards and never would have spoken back like that much less cursed.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
First wanna say, heart, all of your stories, just, wow. You gotta get better friends.

Yeah, it bothers me, too, when kids are being little snots, and their parents aren't doing anything about it.

What bothers me even more, though, and I seem to see it more often, is parents who scream at their kids in public places. I'll be in the grocery store, and there's some kid who's really not causing that much trouble from what I can see, but the parent is chewing the kid out at the top of their lungs, right next to me. The kid isn't bothering me, but wow, the parent sure is. I think they're so used to doing this at home that it seems like the norm, so they have no qualms about screaming in a relatively quiet place with people around.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What bothers me even more, though, and I seem to see it more often, is parents who scream at their kids in public places. I'll be in the grocery store, and there's some kid who's really not causing that much trouble from what I can see, but the parent is chewing the kid out at the top of their lungs, right next to me. The kid isn't bothering me, but wow, the parent sure is. I think they're so used to doing this at home that it seems like the norm, so they have no qualms about screaming in a relatively quiet place with people around.

Ugh. I hate that too.

I can distinguish between a mom who is merely exasperated and you can tell she's at the end of her rope and just can't deal anymore (so you feel sort of bad for her and the kid), vs a mom who just lashes out at her kid in a way that says it's her first reaction to anything they do (so you sort of get pissed at the mom).

Note: I only say mom because usually it's the moms who have the kids out at the store. I don't see the men out much with their kids especially at the grocery.

heart

heart on fire
Yes, I can't stand the people who shout at their children in public either.

Used to work in a discount department store during my college years and good grief the dysfunctional crap I used to hear. A parent whinning at a child saying "Well, I don't get what I want in life either." In a tone that was practically in tears! Good grief that child is going to have issues.

Parents who agrue with their hysterical children as if they were equals are also sickening.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
First wanna say, heart, all of your stories, just, wow. You gotta get better friends.

Yeah, it bothers me, too, when kids are being little snots, and their parents aren't doing anything about it.

Yes, definitely. This all sounds horrible! Something must happen to certain people after childbirth. Some of the most rude people I've met have been mothers (Note: I'm definitely not saying that all mothers are rude, but for some, motherhood seems to trigger rudeness). If I had kids trespassing in my yard to play football, and their parents calling me names when I tell them to keep them in line, I'd be sorely tempted to either buy a dog or call the cops on them.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I had a dear friend who basically let her kid do whatever she wanted, eg, let her put her hands in the bulk bins at the grocery store. Once we went to a museum and she climbed on a work of art; when I gave her a look, my friend went over to her daughter and said "no shame." She's all grown up now and runs her own business, so it doesn't seem to have hurt her to be raised in such a laissez-faire way, but I stopped going to public places with them.

Oh, just remembered -at my wedding my friend came up to me and told me her daughter had just about put her hand right on the wedding cake. At least she stopped her from
doing that.

heart

heart on fire
It wasn't the parents calling me names it was the children, but you know the parents must not place much importance on manners or they wouldn't feel so free to do that.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm thinking there are a number of reasons parents don't discipline their children in public. From my perspective that's neither here nor there other than that determining the reason may help in confronting the parent.

Jennifer talks about the kind of parents who may have an unruly child, and that is one of the reasons I am often reluctant to confront. It appears to me that there is a great deal of deterioration in the social order these days and a quantity of defensiveness to accompany it. Very little observable sense of personal responsibility.

So, knowing that there is an abundance of ignorant, willful, dysfunctional, unbalanced (pick one) folks afoot, and that they will be defensive when their parenting skills are perceived as being attacked, I tread softly on this one.

These days many mommies and daddies carry weapons, are high, have explosive and unpredictable anger. I won't risk physical confrontation for a broken toy or because I am irritated.

As the former mommy of two very busy, inquisitive children who occasionally overstepped their boundaries in public places I know that sometimes I feared to initiate a "scene." Young, unsure of myself, still learning parenting skills. It was sometimes easier to just stop shopping and grab them both and go home rather than risk an ego-blasting resistance to resolving the problem.

And, even after all these years, feeling that old defensiveness about being a good enough parent I want to put in a good word for the lot. Guess all here know that sometimes naughty kids still have dilligent parents. I learned that one over and over!

So. There are times when I would feel it necessary to intercede and those times would probably be the most potentially explosive situations of all. That would be when physical harm to a human is possible. In that instance I wouldn't even think about rudeness. If the issue involves merchandise I am more apt to (try to) find a store employee and ask them to deal with what they are paid for.

And there have been times when no parent is around when I have dealt with the children in a way which has worked out okay. I've had a lot of experience working with kids, like them and they generally like me so diversion works well for me and gives me a chance to interact with the little rascals now and then.

And then there are those low-energy days when I think, "Not my problem and I'm already paying for the collateral damage with my purchase." and tune it out to keep peace of mind.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm always annoyed when I wander into a store to shop for grocieries or something and there's other people's kids running around making noise and all around being disturbing (grabbing my leg, yelling, rolling about on the floor and etc.). My parents would NEVER have let me behave like this in public!

That's not rude and I hope that you will continue to perfect The Look of Death and use it whenever needed.
This is only one of the reasons why I fully intend on becoming the neighborhood cat-lady. Kids! Ugh!:steam:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
There is absolutely no reason anyone else's kids should ever be playing in your yard without your permission. I'd have called their parents, explained that it was a legal liability as well as ruining your newly-planted grass, and just generally made sure they knew it wasn't cool. After that, I'd call the police. I've heard of other people finding random neighbor children swimming in their pool or jumping on their trampoline. That just blows my mind. I can't imagine why anyone thinks it's acceptable.

If a kid is doing something annoying in my house, I'll gently say, "No, no, sweetie, we don't climb on the coffee table," or something. The parent usually gets it without reacting poorly. I figure, though, if a parent brings a destructive kid to my house--like REALLY destructive--and they don't catch the hint, then I have no problem being more direct. Because at this point, this isn't a person I particularly want to visit me again.

If the kid is being mean to my dog, all bets are off. The dog's my kid, so we'll have to have a "come to Jesus meeting" about that. I love my dog more than I like your stupid kid.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I guess you just look too damn inviting, whatever. :D

I've never had somebody else's kid grab me in a store. But I guess maybe I'm too scary looking so the kids stay away. :laugh:

I say, next time, just take something off the shelf and give it to the kid. More than likely they will take whatever it is and focus on that and leave you alone. If not, a lot of stores have those big containers with all the rubber balls in them. Dodgeball. GAME ON.

heart

heart on fire
If the kid is being mean to my dog, all bets are off. The dog's my kid, so we'll have to have a "come to Jesus meeting" about that. I love my dog more than I like your stupid kid.

My policy now is to just put my cats up when people come over. It isn't worth the conflict. I even had one 18 year old in-law harass the cat. :rolli: I just think the world at large is insane.

Since when do police even come out on such calls anymore? Our car was broken into and we were told top file a report online that police cannot waste time on such calls anymore. Oh yeah, you live in Northern Central Texas! lol the world out here isn't quite like that. ;)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Now I find myself wanting a kid to start messing with me in a store. I've got lots of ideas for how to respond to this. Thanks a lot guys, as if I didn't already have enough trouble getting to sleep, now I'm gonna be envisioning ways to mess with kids in stores. ;)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I guess you just look too damn inviting, whatever. :D

I've never had somebody else's kid grab me in a store. But I guess maybe I'm too scary looking so the kids stay away. :laugh:

Kids aren't the only one's I've had grab me in public :dry:

I'm used to kids in my yard- I live in an apartment complex with a lot of young families- though most are scared of my dogling and stay away from my patio :devil: (and if I find kids messing with my tomato plants they're DOOMED!!!!) I don't get why I should pay for other people's lack of control when in public places though- I rush out of stores to avoid screaming kids- or the parents yelling at thier kids :shock: (my sis and I called Walmart the "ass slap" store because of the parents spanking thier kids there!).

Seriously- I trained my dog to behave well and not to bark or jump on strangers, why can't other people convince thier kids not to scream and clutch my crotch in the grociery? :huh: