• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

why do people get upset when celebrities over 60 die?

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mean it's one thing to get upset if your grandparent dies but getting upset over an old celebrity dying? I think it's because people these days can't accept death. I bet people in the 1970s could see a 20 something celebrity die and not bat an eyelid.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
"Why do people get upset when people die?" Because its death and average life expectancy is currently 75.
d6f.jpg

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some of them are dear to us

This. Some of them have been in movies we love (tied with memories) or are/were musicians who inspired us.. Or for other reasons.. It does not have to be a family member for their death to be upsetting.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I mean it's one thing to get upset if your grandparent dies but getting upset over an old celebrity dying? I think it's because people these days can't accept death. I bet people in the 1970s could see a 20 something celebrity die and not bat an eyelid.

Because celebrities are a large part of a lot of people's lives. People feel like they know celebrities and there's a sort of proxy-closeness that comes with being emotionally connected to someone's perceived personality and their work. People become attached to celebrities because the way people view them is as a reflector of themself. People pin their ideal idea of personality traits onto their fave. Celebrities are the recipients of tons of projection. Also, a lot of celebrities are in the arts and therefore must bare their souls on a daily basis as part of their job. People see that soul or emotion or humanity and feel like it reflects and represents their own journey, which is powerful.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is empathy for $200.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They feel a personal connection with that person via their art and/or their image.
I don't personally get upset, but I can understand why other people do.

Or maybe it's like when your favorite lipstick is discontinued & then you run out :horror: :newwink:

Litsnob

I don't understand why people get upset when any celebrity dies. Not that a death isn't sad for the loved ones and that I don't feel sympathy but I just don't get celebrity worship and thinking that we know that person enough to be so sad about their death. I don't get this idea that we actually know these people or that they mean anything to us personally.