• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Do Type Stereotypes REALLY Bother You?

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It is my first inclination to believe that those that find the most disgust with a type stereotype of their own type or particular function of theirs as absolutely disgusting, beyond mere annoyance, is because they attach themselves more personally to this "identity", so labeling it as anything negative, is a direct translation to their perceived identity. While this most certainly is probably the case with those most insecure with their identities or lack of understanding of their identity, there is also a possibility that a personal disgust of a stereotype may come from a misrepresentation of a type description, or rather, misalignment with how you see yourself.

Whatever the reason, there is a large case against type/function stereotypes, and I am curious what it means to you? How does it personally offend or disgust you?

There is certainly a reasonable cause for stereotypes and practical use to them as a shorthanded approach to quickly getting to a starting point of how to understand a personality type. There is also, more often than not, at least some partial truth to some stereotypes. The weakness though, lies in that these particular stereotypes stem from superficial observations of type/function characteristics and usually not from a deeper understanding of what is truly occurring that produces these behaviors.

So again I ask, what is it about type/function stereotypes that truly bother you? If you answer well they aren't true, then ask yourself, well WHY do you feel they aren't true? Is your perception of truth more valid than a stereotype?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Type stereotypes annoy me because I don't like being looked at by some idiot of the typology community who read some stereotype-ridden SFJ profile and think they know me. And the person they think I am is some stick-up-the-ass conservative grandma type. And then they approach me as if that's who I am. They approach me like they already know everything about me when they don't know jack shit.

I don't like misunderstandings. I never have and I never will. And misunderstanding me and my personality rubs me the wrong way. I'm sick of people telling me who I am or who I'm not based on a profile. Honestly, I wish I'd never listed a type under my profile, but at this point it's too late to take it out because everyone already knows what type I am. I'm absolutely certain I would be treated differently, at least by those who are susceptible to the stereotypes.

They also annoy me because I have specifically created threads to try and dispel these stereotypes and yet when I bother to take the time to link them to people I see who are guilty of the kind of stereotyping I debunk in my threads, they say "cool thanks" and then go off and continue to spread their stereotypes. So yeah, I take it personally.

Edit: To be honest, my frustration with stereotypes of my type has more to do with the stereotypes not fitting me as an individual than it does with other people of my type. I'm sure there are some ISFJs out there who are the spitting image of an ISFJ profile, stereotypes and all. But I'm not. And when people make a general statement about ISFJs, they're not just talking about ISFJs, they're talking about me. And I hate when people get me wrong. Also, I'm tired of being typed an FP just because I'm not stereotypically Fe. And I'm tired of sensors being called shallow in comparison to intuitives. All that does is create some sort of Aryan typology race used to put down others, which is exactly the kind of shit that drove DG away.

Edit 2: Feel free to discuss everything I've shared in this post here but I request that no one quote or address me directly. Every time I get into this topic I get fired up and angry and stressed out and I'm tired of the forum being a place of constant negativity for me. I've shared my opinion and now I'm going to leave. Plus I'm very busy this weekend anyway.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the stereotypes don't bother me on paper but they bother me when they try to apply it to my behavior.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It is my first inclination to believe that those that find the most disgust with a type stereotype of their own type or particular function of theirs as absolutely disgusting, beyond mere annoyance, is because they attach themselves more personally to this "identity", so labeling it as anything negative, is a direct translation to their perceived identity. While this most certainly is probably the case with those most insecure with their identities or lack of understanding of their identity, there is also a possibility that a personal disgust of a stereotype may come from a misrepresentation of a type description, or rather, misalignment with how you see yourself.

Whatever the reason, there is a large case against type/function stereotypes, and I am curious what it means to you? How does it personally offend or disgust you?

There is certainly a reasonable cause for stereotypes and practical use to them as a shorthanded approach to quickly getting to a starting point of how to understand a personality type. There is also, more often than not, at least some partial truth to some stereotypes. The weakness though, lies in that these particular stereotypes stem from superficial observations of type/function characteristics and usually not from a deeper understanding of what is truly occurring that produces these behaviors.

So again I ask, what is it about type/function stereotypes that truly bother you? If you answer well they aren't true, then ask yourself, well WHY do you feel they aren't true? Is your perception of truth more valid than a stereotype?

The type stereotypes do have at least a grain of truth. They don't take the individual into account, true but they can't. That's why it's very broad and they talk about healthy and unhealthy levels. The people who get offended and disgusted about type stereotyping - you do realize that you're often enforcing the stereotype by being offend or disgusted, right?

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They don't. I haven't been overtly attached to my label in years but I am still covertly so (regarding my erroneous last one before this one) as made clear by embodiment. But at least that sort of thing has only confirmed what I suspected about much if not nearly all of our lovely forum.

Enneagram
9w1
I have no reason to because I haven't yet acquired a type I can call my own. Even then... I'd take it more as an opportunity to understand them or tell them why they're wrong, but if they're annoying I'll just avoid them.

edit: btw, I don't even know what the stereotypes are anymore so I find it difficult to type people based off them rather than pure definition. Makes it easier to not have to deal with stereotypes lingering in the back of your mind.

And I haven't seen any real, noticeable stereotyping here, but I don't look through all the posts so I wouldn't know. Except for maybe "failed relationship" threads and that Malware guy. So I guess if I had to deal with those kind stereotypes I'd just... well really all it takes is showing counterexamples to show that types aren't as limited as people think. Or by using... y'know... Typology "Theory", which while the definitions may vary by some people's accounts, really shouldn't be that difficult to understand. If the people who stereotype are aware of their stereotyping but just need to vent, then let them do so.

SPEAKING OF TYPOLOGY THEORY AND DEFINITIONS.... Can anyone explain why any other definitions but the ones provided here could be considered legitimate?

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
On one hand I don't have trouble with stereotypes because I don't use them. I don't asume anything from a person just because they are typed X or Y. I take people as individuals, I never rely on a stereotype to befriend/judge/asume things about others. I use MBTI and the enneagram as methods for self-improvement.

On the other hand, I hate stereotypes per se. It's looking everything from the surface and generalizing everything. I agree with Yamato (who I am not allowed to quote) in that people believe they know you because they know what type you are, and act based on the stereotype, which make people who don't fit the stereotype a little discouraged, even more when those stereotypes are used to suggest the superiority of some to the detriment of others. I may have some things that are good for a specific situation while others have good traits I lack that may be excellent "tools" for the things I'm not good at.

It's the discussion I had the other day with someone in class: stereotype vs. archetype. Both are some sort of "template", but when you work with a stereotype, you can't move from it, it's like cloning people; when you work with archetypes, you can adapt their "children" and give unique characteristics to each individual that was based on them.

In general I dislike labels and stereotypes because I like to know the things that make something or someone different from the rest. But most people seem to like stereotypes because it's like a quick guide, and if they learn the stereotype, they don't have to bother getting to know the person/thing for real.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Stereotypes don't bother me. People who misinterpret their utility, lacking the ability to broaden their understanding- & ultimately try to impose their narrow views on others - well, that's obviously a nuisance (noise) bordering on offensive (actively affecting someone's safety/livelihood in some way), depending on the circumstances. I'm going beyond the MBTI stereotyping, here, obviously.

Idiots will always idiot, though. Boxes or no. Either you can toughen up/develop an emotional immunity to idiocy (& let go of any underlying needs for all the people to understand & value you for the Special You that You are), or you can let others dictate how you feel, or live.

Choice is pretty simple. :shrug:

Fighting against unjust limitations on others- needless to say- will never be simple, or easy- but most worthwhile things tend not to be. Toughen the fuck up. Be your own advocate.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They dont bother me. If anything I run around flaunting my steroetypes. Because they are the bomb. Lol no pun intended.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Stereotypes don't always bother me, I even relate to some of them or find them funny. And all stereotypes have some truth to them. Generalizations are seen as more efficient, so they wont always say "this doesn't apply to everyone of this type." But frankly that should go without saying, we are still individuals, we cant fit into a box completely.

I think stereotypes become negative for me when they cause others to create preconceived notions about a person, or they hold something against you. I'd like to think there's more to a person than just one thing. I dont want people to say, "well you're an infp so you have to do this," or "I dont like you because you're an infp." Especially when they havent even taken the time to know me. What id prefer is if someone asks, rather than assume something about me. If I have flaws I will own up to them, I dont think very highly of myself to begin with, so it's not about being defensive. I just prefer people to see the individual first and value that, not the statistics and stereotypes.