• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Attraction: Male & Female (Not Only Sexual)

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
What are you attracted to?

What in girls or guys? For purposes of friendship AND romantic pursuit?

magnet_zpsphfwmpnk.gif

Does what you have historically been attracted to usually lead to success in friendships and:kissya:?

If you want to specify type, go for it.

Physical characteristics? Sure.

Other? Yes please!

Everyone welcome!!! Every persuasion. Committed relationship or solo. Sx or meh. Experienced or nay. Loner or social butterfly...

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My friends are mostly SJs. I think we were drawn to each other because we're similar. And because we saw each other every day throughout all of elementary and high school. Most of my friends are also girls.

I don't really know how to make new friends though. So I haven't made any in many years.

I don't pursue romance so I can't comment there.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
most of my friendships have been with SPs. relationships ExFxs.

was always partial to brunet(te)s and having a life outside of each other.

á´…eparted

passages
For those unaware, I am a cis-gay male.

Friendships:

There isn't much of a difference between what I look for in friends with males or females. However, I feel more comfortable around females, and have since I was little. I'd say historically through my life around 75% of my friends have been/are female, and the remainder male. I feel like I can be more "myself" around females, and their manner of expression tends to me feeling safer being expressive as well. The thing I look for first and foremost with a friend, is people I feel comfortable around. Speaking is fluid, mannerisms jive, and there is a sense/feeling of flow with one another. Very little has to be forced, planned, or nuanced.

As far as type goes, there is a very slight pattern, but it's not strong. While I prefer extroverts because of equal energy levels, a great number of my close friends have been and are introverts. Ultimately I can't say I have a preference between the two. It simply takes longer for me to befriend introverts, but in practice those bonds stay stronger and don't burn out. I also don't have much of a preference between sensors and intuitives. However, there is a particular nuance with it. With sensors there is little extremes. It's very rare for me to be repelled by them, but I seldom feel strongly drawn. With intuitives, extremes are much more common. Some intutives we'll be like oil and water with a lot of animosity, but others there will be instant kinship. What is noteworthy is feelers and thinkers. My very close friends have overwhelmingly been feelers throughout my life. I have had very close thinker friends, but they are noticably fewer. I also think there is a slight tilt towards friendships with feelers overall. In order to become close with people, I need to share deeper personal matters with a person. Without it I just don't feel like the friendship is strong. Thinkers in practice either don't, won't, or can't share these things. Some do, but they're rare. Finally for the judgers and percievers there is a slight pattern. I will more quickly befriend judgers than I do perceivers. However over time there ends up being no preference for one over another.

What leads to a successful close friendship with me, is sharing personal matters with each other. Additionally, nearly all of my close friends have either a lot of emotional depth, or have very unique minds, or share a ton of common ground with me (mutual unspoken understanding). It also matters a lot to have a lot of moral common ground/outlook. Without it, I will feel distant and not get close. Discussing deeper matters about the self is big. What makes them tick, what bothers them, what do they love, what do they think. Effectively getting inside their brain and seeing what's there (it's a two way street and they do the same with me). Discussing things that matter to both of us. There is the caveot of needing mutual interests, but that sort of goes without saying with the majority of people. That's only one portion of the puzzle, but it's a major component. I'm very talkative, and I tend to want to talk about heavier stuff with good friends most of the time. I do well with people who do the same, or can keep up with it. I think this might explain why the majority of my very close friends are F, because for T's that's generally uncomfortable or uninteresting. It's also worth noting this is not a requirement for friendship, but simply the most common theme of close friendships that I have.

Really though, at the end of the day it's the unspoken quality of comfort and flow that dictates who I become good friends with. Those people aren't common, but aren't rare either.

Relationships:

Alas, I have never been in a relationship. Much of this is can be blamed on living in smallish towns since I was 18, in addition to having no car. There's a handful of other factors as well which will be addressed in a year or two (one of which includes moving to a larger city). Regardless, I do know what I am attracted to.

Generally speaking, the qualities I look for in a friend, applies here too. There are simply things in addition to that. The first being physical. The simplest way I can explain it, is take the physical manliness dial, and turn it up to 11. I like guys that are big. Tall, big hands, big feet, big ears, big nose, big mouth (among other things), also the bigger the better. Deep gravely voice, hairy as an ape, and a lumbering body language. Almost like a charicture of a caveman. This actually is sort of a problem, as the types of guys I am physically attracted to, tend to not share the same interests as me, or possess personalities that I can't connect with. I have definitely noticed that the type of people who wind up in my social circle (not just friends) are very very rarely my physical type. Yet, if I look at other social circles, they can be full of them, and those social circles do not seem like ones I'd enjoy being in, and visa versa. Because of this the odds of finding anyone for me (on top of being gay which significantly reduces odds as well) seems very remote. Impossible? No, but difficult.

A huge portion of the difficulty is I have realized that the best path for a relationship with me, would be to meet someone as a friend, and then it develops into something from there organically. Going on dates, and meeting someone via online (which is sadly pretty much the only option for gay men), just doesn't seem to work. The process feels forced, of synthetic. It doesn't allow for that feeling of comfort and flow (which matters so much in friendship) to form. It's possible for it to be there, but it takes a very specific extroverted personality to do that (on par with my level of extroversion and candidness), of which I have only met once. In all other cases, the contexts precludes it, and I feel disconnected and uncomfortable. I would need to meet someone in a context where dating/meeting is not the goal.

As far as type goes, I think I could find appeal in any type. However, the odds are lowest for NP's. In a dating contexts I could see myself having difficulty with Ne users in the long term. I think my odds are highest with NTJ's, and EST's. As much as I find kinship and close friendships with F's more often than not, I don't think that would work as well in a relationship. It'd be like crossing the streams. There'd be too much sameness. I'm emotionally pretty intense and convoluted. I might not entirely like it, but I think a T would balance me out in that respect. I am also really skilled at drawing people out, which a lot of T's benefit from. That said, they couldn't be robotic/cold. That would just make me feel unsafe and locked up.

It'd also need to be with someone who is fairly equal to me in a domimant and submissive sense, but slightly beat me. I'm quite dominant, so I couldn't be with someone who is significantly more so than I am, because then we'd just fight/argue. I couldn't be with someone who is submissive either, because I'd get bored very quickly and run them into the ground. Ultimately though, I think they need to win out more often. Long story as to why. What's odd is I am simultenously attracted and repelled by guys with a dominant presence. If it's purely just that then I am repelled. There sort of needs to be a playful/goofiness associated with it for it to be cracked. Quiet dominance doesn't push or pull me either way, but it can completely catch me off guard (in a good way) as well.

Anyway, this post got super long. I'll stop here :laugh:

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sounds like CP is doing forum research again. :coffee:

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Attraction: Male & Female (Not Only Sexual)

It's rare that I have a friendship with a man without them having a crush on me a very short time later, even while being nice I try to be catious to show it's only out of politeness..
My ENTP husnand have fallen in love with me after a short conversation, I knew at that moment that he started to have something towards me, thus I always avoid men and keep it very limited frienships, besides, I feel much more comfortable around girls, even in the forum most of my friends are women ^_^

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For friends, it goes beyond MBTI types, though I seem consciously attracted to NF and SF types. I have made friends with NT and ST types before, but I find myself having to really emphasize my Ti and even Te in order for them to take me seriously.

For relationships, I suppose other intuitive types can understand me as well as I can understand them for obvious reasons. I like darker haired men with kind eyes.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
My ENTP husnand have fallen in love with me after a short conversation, I knew at that moment that he started to have something towards me,

What did you slip in his drink? :newwink:

tweetlebug

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w3
For those unaware, I am a cis-gay male.

Friendships:

There isn't much of a difference between what I look for in friends with males or females. However, I feel more comfortable around females, and have since I was little. I'd say historically through my life around 75% of my friends have been/are female, and the remainder male. I feel like I can be more "myself" around females, and their manner of expression tends to me feeling safer being expressive as well. The thing I look for first and foremost with a friend, is people I feel comfortable around. Speaking is fluid, mannerisms jive, and there is a sense/feeling of flow with one another. Very little has to be forced, planned, or nuanced.

As far as type goes, there is a very slight pattern, but it's not strong. While I prefer extroverts because of equal energy levels, a great number of my close friends have been and are introverts. Ultimately I can't say I have a preference between the two. It simply takes longer for me to befriend introverts, but in practice those bonds stay stronger and don't burn out. I also don't have much of a preference between sensors and intuitives. However, there is a particular nuance with it. With sensors there is little extremes. It's very rare for me to be repelled by them, but I seldom feel strongly drawn. With intuitives, extremes are much more common. Some intutives we'll be like oil and water with a lot of animosity, but others there will be instant kinship. What is noteworthy is feelers and thinkers. My very close friends have overwhelmingly been feelers throughout my life. I have had very close thinker friends, but they are noticably fewer. I also think there is a slight tilt towards friendships with feelers overall. In order to become close with people, I need to share deeper personal matters with a person. Without it I just don't feel like the friendship is strong. Thinkers in practice either don't, won't, or can't share these things. Some do, but they're rare. Finally for the judgers and percievers there is a slight pattern. I will more quickly befriend judgers than I do perceivers. However over time there ends up being no preference for one over another.

What leads to a successful close friendship with me, is sharing personal matters with each other. Additionally, nearly all of my close friends have either a lot of emotional depth, or have very unique minds, or share a ton of common ground with me (mutual unspoken understanding). It also matters a lot to have a lot of moral common ground/outlook. Without it, I will feel distant and not get close. Discussing deeper matters about the self is big. What makes them tick, what bothers them, what do they love, what do they think. Effectively getting inside their brain and seeing what's there (it's a two way street and they do the same with me). Discussing things that matter to both of us. There is the caveot of needing mutual interests, but that sort of goes without saying with the majority of people. That's only one portion of the puzzle, but it's a major component. I'm very talkative, and I tend to want to talk about heavier stuff with good friends most of the time. I do well with people who do the same, or can keep up with it. I think this might explain why the majority of my very close friends are F, because for T's that's generally uncomfortable or uninteresting. It's also worth noting this is not a requirement for friendship, but simply the most common theme of close friendships that I have.

Really though, at the end of the day it's the unspoken quality of comfort and flow that dictates who I become good friends with. Those people aren't common, but aren't rare either.

Relationships:

Alas, I have never been in a relationship. Much of this is can be blamed on living in smallish towns since I was 18, in addition to having no car. There's a handful of other factors as well which will be addressed in a year or two (one of which includes moving to a larger city). Regardless, I do know what I am attracted to.

Generally speaking, the qualities I look for in a friend, applies here too. There are simply things in addition to that. The first being physical. The simplest way I can explain it, is take the physical manliness dial, and turn it up to 11. I like guys that are big. Tall, big hands, big feet, big ears, big nose, big mouth (among other things), also the bigger the better. Deep gravely voice, hairy as an ape, and a lumbering body language. Almost like a charicture of a caveman. This actually is sort of a problem, as the types of guys I am physically attracted to, tend to not share the same interests as me, or possess personalities that I can't connect with. I have definitely noticed that the type of people who wind up in my social circle (not just friends) are very very rarely my physical type. Yet, if I look at other social circles, they can be full of them, and those social circles do not seem like ones I'd enjoy being in, and visa versa. Because of this the odds of finding anyone for me (on top of being gay which significantly reduces odds as well) seems very remote. Impossible? No, but difficult.

A huge portion of the difficulty is I have realized that the best path for a relationship with me, would be to meet someone as a friend, and then it develops into something from there organically. Going on dates, and meeting someone via online (which is sadly pretty much the only option for gay men), just doesn't seem to work. The process feels forced, of synthetic. It doesn't allow for that feeling of comfort and flow (which matters so much in friendship) to form. It's possible for it to be there, but it takes a very specific extroverted personality to do that (on par with my level of extroversion and candidness), of which I have only met once. In all other cases, the contexts precludes it, and I feel disconnected and uncomfortable. I would need to meet someone in a context where dating/meeting is not the goal.

As far as type goes, I think I could find appeal in any type. However, the odds are lowest for NP's. In a dating contexts I could see myself having difficulty with Ne users in the long term. I think my odds are highest with NTJ's, and EST's. As much as I find kinship and close friendships with F's more often than not, I don't think that would work as well in a relationship. It'd be like crossing the streams. There'd be too much sameness. I'm emotionally pretty intense and convoluted. I might not entirely like it, but I think a T would balance me out in that respect. I am also really skilled at drawing people out, which a lot of T's benefit from. That said, they couldn't be robotic/cold. That would just make me feel unsafe and locked up.

It'd also need to be with someone who is fairly equal to me in a domimant and submissive sense, but slightly beat me. I'm quite dominant, so I couldn't be with someone who is significantly more so than I am, because then we'd just fight/argue. I couldn't be with someone who is submissive either, because I'd get bored very quickly and run them into the ground. Ultimately though, I think they need to win out more often. Long story as to why. What's odd is I am simultenously attracted and repelled by guys with a dominant presence. If it's purely just that then I am repelled. There sort of needs to be a playful/goofiness associated with it for it to be cracked. Quiet dominance doesn't push or pull me either way, but it can completely catch me off guard (in a good way) as well.

Anyway, this post got super long. I'll stop here :laugh:

Hard - Wow. I so appreciate this post. I relate to so many little moments in it. These sorts of thoughts/topics have been weighing heavily on my mind of late. I wish I had like an hour to identify each one and layout some thoughtful responses. If I find that time, I certainly will but for now just know that your thoughts are appreciated!!! I'm new to this forum (I'm a Female ENFJ 4w3 sx/sp - nice to meet you all!) and I've read several of your insightful posts and wanted to say thanks/hello! :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Inappropriate sense of humor and chest hair. They also have to like sports.

S16M4

Permabanned
Friendship - I look for contribution and growth. Someone better than me at whatever. I don't ever want to be the better one because that would stagnate my growth.

Relationship - I don't actively look for relationships. Generally, want someone who'll leave me alone most of the time and only show up for movies, meals and sex. That would be ideal. I suppose if they require cuddles, I could accommodate. I keep up my health standards, so they should too. I'm not running a charity here. Slender ~ Fit/Athletic. If I can't toss you around in bed, I'm not interested.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Friendship

Drawn to:

-Intelligence and curiosity.

-Adaptable.

-Connection born in mutual respect.

-Have own full lives = communication based on desire to keep in touch not obligation.

-Trustworthiness and loyalty.

-Funny. Wordplay. Sarcasm. Dry wit. British humour. I like it all.

-Consistent.

-Adventurous spirit.

-People that have qualities opposite to myself.

-Grateful spirit as opposed to complaining.

-Independent.

-Respect for the right to have beliefs opposite to ones personally held.

Any age and any physical description.

Male Romantic Interest

Attracted by:

-Intelligence and curiosity.

-Ability to communicate honestly and directly.

-Appreciation of family.

-Natural desire for and interest in sex.

-Humour. Especially ability to laugh during more difficult times.

-Logical and critical thinking ability.

-Appreciation for femininity and desire to take respectful lead as the ‘man of the house’.

-Playful and adventurous approach {or even just a willingness to indulge mine :p}.

-I or E. Attracted most to those who enjoy both: social interaction AND alone time.

-Gets along well with women.

-Consistent and dependable.

-Laid-back (but serious about things that require it).

-Team approach: with independent and mutual pursuits.

-Balanced spending and desire to save/budget (don’t care if he has money).

-Willingness to (at least occasionally) travel and try new things.

@Hard I so agree with what you expressed re: superficial shared interests and the limits. I don’t mind having friendships as such. But, for anything REAL (or long-term) I need and want to be challenged. Brainstorming, offering new perspectives, real quality comfort in sharing, discussing the world and everything in it, calling me out on my ‘crap’. Essential.

Could be attracted to any type. Historically, seem to clash romantically with ISTJ’s and find friend-only potential with ESFJ’s.

Drawn to harder “idea” thinking personality types. In the past this has been a good merge: His T-side spurs on my thinking and helps me be more reasonable. My softer emotive side helps him gain self-knowledge and have smoother interactions with people.

Attracted to many different types of physicality. Natural inclination towards dark hair, tall build and masculine expression.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Friendship - I look for contribution and growth. Someone better than me at whatever. I don't ever want to be the better one because that would stagnate my growth.

Relationship - I don't actively look for relationships. Generally, want someone who'll leave me alone most of the time and only show up for movies, meals and sex. That would be ideal. I suppose if they require cuddles, I could accommodate. I keep up my health standards, so they should too. I'm not running a charity here. Slender ~ Fit/Athletic. If I can't toss you around in bed, I'm not interested.

Intriguing first comment in bold.

Ha! Loved the 2nd in bold :)

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Absolutely nothing attracts me to a "friend." Friends can be anyone, anywhere, any type, so long as we happen to get forced into a proximity for an extended duration and attain a mutual respect, understanding, and loyalty. The nuts and bolts of that formula are too nuanced to extrapolate.

For women it's the usual balancing act of contradictions:

I like women with very small upper bodies, but I also like women with voluminous breasts.
I like women who are shameless the right way- like unafraid to lick BBQ sauce off my face, but not shameless the wrong way- like unafraid to belch and rip farts in front of me.
I like women who are smart, but I also like women who are simple.
I like women who are warm hearted, but I also like women who are strong and impervious to Fe influence.
I like women with doe-like prey features (large eyes, etc), but I also like women with sharp feline predatory features.

Probably the only constant is that I like masochists with legs that can go all the way back. :rly???:

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Hard question. Most of the times I like people for no reason (my brain knows but I don't). When I see someone interact with other people, the gestures, the way they smile/frown, what they smile/frown to, I just know if they're material for a relationship (no matter the kind). But if I had to make a list, here's what can't be missing:

FRIENDSHIP

-Imagination and curiosity, humor and audible laughs, is okay with funny nonsense
-No problem breaking the rules; not clinging to them
-Respects my me-time
-Understands me and is willing to talk about inner thought processes/feelings
-Keeps an open mind
-Agrees to avoid touching my hair, giving me gifts and allows me to pay my part of the bills, always
-Not too idealist, not too realist
-A little bit psycho and sarcastic
-Likes reading (and/or other art besides literature)
-More intelligent than me (discriminatory, but doesn't use intelligence to compete), less egotistical than me (or to the same level)
-Is brutally honest (and accepts and likes receiving brutally honest comments from me)
-Shares my values (won't judge people without knowing, won't label people, doesn't belong to a political party, doesn't go hunting, etc etc etc)

Sounds like a lot, but I've found a few in my life, so it's not impossible. I'd rather be alone than being surrounded by people I don't like/respect.

Types I relate to the most: I don't know, I believe I can find people of every type that I like hanging out with (at least for a bit, most ESFJs are too "loud" and ESFPs have too much energy). Hystorically speaking: INTPs (the ones I relate to the most), ENTPs, ESTPs and an ISTJ (we understand the "I need time alone" thing and we like spending evenings at home, watching movies and talking about "remember whens"). INTJs are alright until they put on a halo as a hat and begin "shooting" truths.

ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS

Again, there has to be a click. And to be honest, in all these relationships I was feeling the friendship "click" but not the other.. I'm kind of an unloving person (I care, but I don't love people. I love animals and abstract things).

To me, romantic relationships HAVE to be like the second level of a house. First, you build level 1, which is friendship, and then you start buiding the second level from there. If it works, perfect. If not, you can always demolish the second level and keep the first. So, the list of things that I find attractive in potential couples are the ones I mentioned above, plus a "not history" of constant hookups, constant drunkenness and smoking (the less, the better.. it's not a whim, it's experience). I wouldn't like to date someone who has been with half the girls of the city, A) because it feels yucky in my mind, and B) because that says a lot about the kind of relationships that person can forge.

Anyway, I score 99% demisexual (1% tall guys with happy trails.. I like guys who can carry my 5' 2" body around and give huge bear hugs). Though, I have a weird problem with blue-eyed, blond guys. I feel that they'll grow old and turn into those scary blind people from movies with a crow on their shoulders and bony hands. They terrify me, haha Maybe it's the Italian blood that makes me prone to like more guys with brown/black hair? There physical aspects that I find attractive, but not in a sexual way, just things I find aesthetic, like certain noses, certain types of beard, arm veins bulging out, guys who don't have sausage fingers... Oh, and definitely proportion (not those guys with broad shoulders and skinny legs, they confuse my brain. Doesn't matter if skinny or not). I think of people as "drawable" or not.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
With friends, I'm interested in any interesting person as long as they're not horrible. I do best with people who balance my (negative) traits though. Where I'm shy they're outgoing. Where I'm cynical they're idealistic and pure. I actually am friends/acquaintances with someone like this. We balance each other perfectly. He gives me pathetically sad looks when I say something mean or sarcastic, which makes me curb my impulse to do that so I don't hurt him. And I think I ground him. I value energy in friends as well. I don't want to sit around and do nothing, I want someone who wants to go do things and goof off and just have fun. I want them to value fun. It's really difficult for me to make friends with people who are rule-oriented or unmoveable in their mindset.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Friendships...any and all who can understand my need for lack of definiteness and doesn't take personally my lack of "keeping up with you" as a personal affront. Call me when you need me, I'm there. Have fun without me or with me. Don't care. I can bring you along or not. Your maintenance level will probably exceed mine. Be aware.

---

Relationships:

Someone who will allow me to lead. I'm best in that role. I like to lead, not control. People mistake that as overlapping. Not at all true. I don't like imposing my will. I like free spirits. Someone who can stand up to pressure and be themselves without apology. That is sexy. Because I appreciate that, also. Compatibility is hard to find on that level. Someone who is confident in their own person, in their own way to gift you with sweetness and understanding. When you both give and take willfully and have gratitude for each other. That is love. I'm glad I have it because I continually work hard for it.

----

Sexually (when I was single)

Oh god. Pure physicality is a bitch. I don't need emotion. I can have fun with you. Are you fun? ;) male/female...don't quote poetry - you will freak me out and don't call me the next day - unless you're cool. I don't know. I find this hard to inter-weave with love. I can say the best sex I have ever had has not been with my SO.

Same time, it has NOTHING compared to being with my SO. Literally, chocolate cake or creme brulee? Both freaking delicious.

I tend to oddly attract ISFJ's and ENTP's in animalistic sexually driven circumstances. This has been okay with me but they tended to always or eventually volunteer me into their drama. Not good and that is when I have bailed. Usually with not too hard feelings left.