• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Thou shalt not judge, lest be judged yourself"

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX
My judgement has my own twist, but..

..do you ever "judge" people? Is it ok to do so? Why, or why not? Why shouldn't you judge someone? How does judging/not judging manifest itself when taken to extremes?

redacted

All I can think of is that Metallica line...

Yeah, I judge everyone all the time. I can't help it. I'm sure everyone judges me too. No escaping it.

I don't do a lot of judgment when I'm actually interacting with people, I do more of an information-gathering type thing. But as I get processing time, the judgments just happen.

T

ThatGirl

My judgement has my own twist, but..

..do you ever "judge" people? Is it ok to do so? Why, or why not? Why shouldn't you judge someone? How does judging/not judging manifest itself when taken to extremes?

I think there is a difference between aknowledgment and judgment.

I don't judge people.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I judge people via their actions and what they say, and I judge art along with any other human-made product.

Context is key, and I will judge the content of your work or your character depending on the context in which it was produced/fostered.

T

ThatGirl

I think that judging people holds them accountable to your perceptions. I do not always agree with people but to each their own.

I am not stupid enough though to blindly turn the other cheek to what I believe is against my better knowledge. That I store for caution and future reference.

T

ThatGirl

I didnt word that as I would have liked but the concept is there

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I agree, to each his own when it comes to that which he chooses to do or believe in for and by himself.

redacted

I think that judging people holds them accountable to your perceptions. I do not always agree with people but to each their own.

What if your perceptions account for your own ability to be wrong? Probabilistic judgments :)

redacted

Like, if you say, this person probably can be thought of as x, y, or z, but I'm only 60% sure. I do that stuff all the time, and I still consider it judgment. Is that not judgment by your definition?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Though all perception is subjective in nature, some are endowed with a stronger perceptual acuity than others.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
"Thou shalt not judge, lest be judged yourself"

Yourself will be judged regardless, so judge away.

T

ThatGirl

Like, if you say, this person probably can be thought of as x, y, or z, but I'm only 60% sure. I do that stuff all the time, and I still consider it judgment. Is that not judgment by your definition?

I store it as this person is about 60% capable of x, y, or z. I acknowledge it, but untill I am a hundred percent sure and there is no doubt it remains just acknowledged. I can adjust my actions to fit my perceptions but I cannot speak for others accountability. Noone is ever x,y,z they are capable.

If all doubt is removed and I am 100% certain it becomes a fact to consider not a judgment. So and so did this, thats a fact, not sure they would do it again but I can adjust only myself accordingly to the expectations accordingly for my own well of caution.

T

ThatGirl

Though all perception is subjective in nature, some are endowed with a stronger perceptual acuity than others.

That would call for increased caution certainly but one cannot proclaim what someone is unless they have presented it themself

redacted

Meh I honestly can't really believe you. You don't attribute traits to people around you?

I do it all the time, but when I'm conscious of it, I try to put probabilistic weights on my attributions.

redacted

Lol, you never call someone "smart" or "not that good at x" or "good at y"? Don't believe you.