• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who has synesthesia

Thehyperlexic

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If so, what kind and what is your type? Do you have any other psychological conditions or nonneurotypical tendencies?

Interested in seeing any correlation and just hearing about your lives in general. I have Graphemic Synesthesia with letters, numbers, days, and months. Numbers have a slight archetypal character to them. It's not as vibrant as it sounds. A lot of things are just yellow orange, haha!

But certain things are very distinct. 3 and e are royal blue. Friday is indigo. Five is red. It's a very powerful number for me and two is yellow. Wishy washy character that two. I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere here but I have a intuition it's related to my INTP intuition somehow. Though I know archetypal understanding is a more INTJ thing...

I just want to hear some anecdotal thoughts and experiences and bounce ideas around.

I don't buy the coloured magnet theory 100%, but I'm a participant in a psycholinguistics study for my particular type at the Max Planck Institute so that could shed some light when it's published.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I doubt I literally have synethesia, but different keys in music are different colors to me. I don't see the colors in correlation with the keys, but just mentally there is a strong association that remains consistent over time. I'm not sure that is a slight example or something different.

I mostly replied to bump the thread because it's interesting.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I sometimes associate different kinds of things, like emotion and colour.

However, it is a different thing to synaesthesia, the perceptions are still normal, it's just associations. Probably a common thing, really.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My sister's name tastes like peanut butter and jelly. The word fuck tastes like cheez-its. I could go on. Idk if this is what the OP is talking about. :shrug:

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Not sure if it's actually synesthesia, but I'm close to mirror synesthesia. When a person scratches their forehead, mine feels the scratches (and I'll scratch it too involuntarily). Also, I can't watch suicide scenes in movies (the ones in which the characters cut their veins, for example) because I feel my skin being cut (and hurts). In war scenes or bad special effects nothing happens. I read that it only happens when the observed person is someone you're able to feel empathy for, and I feel empathy for almost no one, so it rarely happens. Also, when I see bright colours, some flavours appear in my mouth and I can tell you what colour whole words are, but I believe those are more my memory-superimagination kicking in.

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have grapheme-color synesthesia and, to a lesser extent, chromesthesia.

Quick summary:
Purpleish: b (pinkish), c, k, t (really dark), th (grayish), 3 (ish), 7 (slightly lighter than t)
Bluish: a, i (almost black), 1 (grayish dark blue)
Greenish: g, n, q, v, z, 2, 9
Yellowish: j, s, w, y, 5
Orangish: d, f, o, 4
Reddish: e, p, 6, 8
Brown: m, r, x
Gray: h, 0 (almost white)
White: u
???: l, 3 (sometimes it's brown), 0

Music keys are much more wishy-washy and spectrums, but most of them are green or orange. Any hue of blue is rare. F minor is red-orange. G is yellow.

Months and days of the week obviously also have colors but they're a bit more difficult to describe in words, especially when there are distinctions between the concept of the month/day and the written word.

Also my fingers have personalities. My index finger is blue and is the caring, making-a-sandwich-in-the-kitchen mother. My middle finger is red and the white collar worker father. My ring finger is yellow-green and is the grandmother. My pinky finger is goldenrod and is the kid. My thumb is plum and the jolly old grandfather.

One of these days I will finish and put up that graphic I started years ago that described it visually.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I definitely don't have it naturally, but I like to think I have it "on demand". I cross reference the senses all the time when thinking of new creative concepts. One example is while in grad school, I took a concerto by Mozart, a painting by Mondrian, and an educational theory/model, and turned it all into a spatial language that guided my design. Turned out pretty cool. I felt pretty retarded explaining my ideas and inspiration to the guest critics though as I could tell by the look on their faces, they were wondering how in the world I was able to merge sound, sight, and theory, into an abstract 3D spatial language that I then applied an architectural program to.

I just shrugged my shoulders and thought, "it was easy".

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't really understand the colors thing but I think it makes a lot of sense for words to have taste because they're in your mouth.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, nobody else thinks snozzberries sound like rhinos snorting cocaine? The color I associate with snozzberries is the color of snozzberries, of course.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have grapheme-color synesthesia.

When I was younger, I introduced myself to a friend like this:

Hi my name is Green. What color is yours?

I didn't understand why the other person couldn't answer this question.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For my entire life the note "C" and everything related to it is yellow.
D=red, E=blue, F=purple, G=brown, A=green, B=orange, and the black keys next to them are deeper, intensified versions of it. My brain won't think of it any other way. It has mostly to do with how they look on the keyboard that triggers the color association.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
D=red, E=blue, F=purple, G=brown, A=green, B=orange, and the black keys next to them are deeper, intensified versions of it. My brain won't think of it any other way. It has mostly to do with how they look on the keyboard that triggers the color association.

C = black E = light sky blue F = goldenrod yellow.

Part of synesthesia is having these be consistent throughout ones life. It won't change.

Like, "FIA" is yellow blending into a clear "transparent" crystal (I) and then white (A). :)

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

OMG! C is yellow for me too!
D is dark pink/purple.
E is green.
F is light blue -- in everything -- the note "F", the letter "F".
G is orange.
A is red or reddish purple.
B is bluish purple.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mildly, not in any way that hasn't been described already.

At this level, it doesn't seem to be uncommon.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have it with words, numbers, days.

A: red
B: blue
C: yellow
D: orange
E: green
F: yellow
G: orange

1: black
2: yellow
3: blue
4: icey blue
5: red
6: grayish. A little vague
7: yellow

8: intriguingly unique, purpleish

Sometimes I get mixed up because some groups have the same color.

C: yellow
F: yellow
J: yellow
L::yellow
S: yellow
T: yellow
Y: yellow
Z: yellow
2: yellow
7: yellow

Or like with days

Monday: black
Tuesday: yellow
Wednesday: blue
Thursday: yellow
Friday: red

It can be quite annoying. As a result certain numbers and words I much prefer. 13 for example has back and blue together, but it's significant to me for a different reason too.

I have it with music but it's more vague so the juries still out on that one, really. Because I am not as aware of that. I just know some pianos and tunes seem to have a whiteness to them, or even a grayness, orange or brownish feel in people's voices. Singing or talking.

rollete

MBTI Type
INFP
I thought I had it when I was a teen, but it was a weird ass side effect of the meds I was taking at the time.